10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: FBGD Numbers Competition (June 2014 August 2014), 250 $ 1st prize  (Read 50446 times)

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
Re: FBGD Numbers Competition (June 2014 August 2014), 250 $ 1st prize
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 07:30:09 AM »
But that was made of Dominos.

Free, basic dominos. Counts, right? :)

I'm just prototyping with the materials at hand. Easier to use a napkin and dominoes while watching the World Cup in a French cafe than to pull out the laptop and code. ;)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 05:51:22 AM »
Any news guys? Gimme some juice!
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
I've figured out the basic mechanics for my cardgame :).

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »
Hi,
Slowly making progress on my entry, it's starting to look like a game now!

A very very early demo is here:  http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/fbgd.php

There is no objective at the moment, to play:

* Click roll to start and get some action points
* If you decide to move use the arrow keys or click in the box to move in that direction
* If you want to attack (with maths!) chose attack and click on a monster. Get the question correct to reduce the enemy health points
* Scan just lets you look (use arrow keys) around and examine things.
* When you are done, click done and the monsters move. If they land on you, you must get the question correct to avoid damage.

Press escape to quit.

Again, very early demo, still testing the idea.

Thanks for looking!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2014, 01:38:15 PM »
It looks like a good start, but controls scheme seem a bit confusing at the moment.

I really do think you need to connect your "questions" with some time limit to discourage/disable the usage of a calculator, and maybe involve solving several equations in a row to beat "tougher" monsters, as well as within smaller time limit. Also, solving the equations faster gives you more experience points or whatnot, than solving them toward the end of time limit.

Also, you should implement auto input which automatically reads your result after you type in the second or third digit, depending on the value that the program is expecting for you to input.

Above all, if this will be some sort of RPG/adventure game, it definitely should involve some separate math puzzles you need to solve to unlock some door and advance, besides fighting monsters.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2014, 10:31:04 PM »
I just finished my shores yesterday and here is the basic skeleton of what I have in mind so far:

Battle Cards Master
It will be an Anime style RPG with cards combined with elements.

Cards values from 1 to 99
Cards elements (Wu-Xing)*

Metal - Wood - Earth - Water - Fire

-Metal cuts Wood;
-Wood drains Earth;
-Earth absorbs Water;
-Water kills Fire;
-Fire melts Metal.

Of course, for example, a 6 points water card will be useless against a 40 points fire card!

There will be magical elements too: (operators!)

+   = will rise your hero attack or defense by 2
-   = will reduce your enemy attack or defense by 2
*   = will rise your hero attack or defense by 4
/   = will reduce your enemy attack or defense by 4
PW2 = will multiply your hero attack or defense by 2
SQR = will divide your enemy attack or defense by 2

Operators will have their own elements too!

Examples:

-A 2 Water Card with a Water + operator will rise attack or defense of the 2 Water Card by 2;
-A 2 Water Card with a Fire + operator will turn that Fire + operator to a Water + Operator.

There will be a village surrounded by a forest maze where enemies lurk.

This village will have:

-Your House for eating and sleeping;
-A Grocery Shop selling ingredients and food to eat;
-A Merchants Guild selling cards;
-Witch House selling operators;
-Elements Temple (To change the elements of your cards or operators for a price.);
-A General Store (Selling things you need to survive Sleeping Bag, Tents, Survival Kits, etc.).

Each Victory in Battle gives you experience points and gold coins.

-Experience will allow you to play more cards in battles and allow you to carrying more cards in your deck;
-Gold is used only in the village.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:42:30 PM by Clay Dragon »

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2014, 12:47:30 AM »
@Lachie, some of what you mention is planned. I am just getting the framework sorted at the moment, hence basic questions. One sort  of question type i want to add is something like:

2 ? 3 = 5
3 ? 3 = 9
3 ? 4 = 12

So the player needs to click in sequence + x x to unlock a door or some other feature.

Jonge

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • codeheim.NET
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2014, 08:15:32 AM »
My work has been slow, but I have added path finding for my game. It will be used by the main character and enemies to find a way around the board. I'm planning mouse controls for movements, so the character needs to find the way to the square you select.

A nice tutorial for anyone interested: http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm
codeheim.NET - Homemade game madness!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »
ssjx, I was thinking about descriptive puzzles. Like:

What's the order of the following numbers: 8, 5, 4, 9, 1, 7, 6, 3, 2?

You have a 4-minute hourglass and a 7-minute hourglass. How to measure exactly 9 minutes by using only these two hourglasses?

There are three opaque boxes containing candies in front of you. One box contains only chocolate candies, one contains only mint candies, and the other contains a mixture of both candies. The three boxes are labelled Chocolate, Mint, and Mixture, but none of the labels on the boxes is correct (none of the labels is consistent with the contents in the box under it). You can take one candy each time from each box to see what it is. How many times at least do you need to open a box and take out a candy in order to re-put correct labels to all three boxes?

These are from the film Fermat's Room, so I recommend you try to find some more obscure...

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »
@Lachie

Any comments or suggestions about my entry ideas?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:59:49 AM by Clay Dragon »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
Sorry, I was in a hurry when I posted my previous post.

I like the overall idea for your entry. I wished to see some entries placed in a "real" setting. I just hope you will be able to execute the game satisfactory graphics-wise, or at least find free graphics online that you will be able to compile in a coherent manner. Good luck.

Also, I hope number won't just a crude unexplained technical part of the gameplay mechanics, but somehow connect with the setting/story.

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
I can assure you that graphics will be a really big part of my entry, I won't make you a crappy graphics entry.

I hope number won't just a crude unexplained technical part of the game play mechanics, but somehow connect with the setting/story.

You mean that numbers must be a part of the setting/story itself? Not like numbers that are displayed as cards you can collect, exchange or sell?

mysoft

• Recruit
    • MSN Messenger - mysoft@bol.com.br
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »
ok, now that the distraction of the WorldCup is over... i can resume my game... anyway i have a nice history.... about numbers...
but i'm having trouble deciding how to make the "4 boss battles" that are required.... :)
Programming is like love... you will never acomplish anything by treating your language as if it was a tool, or a slave of yours...

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »
I can assure you that graphics will be a really big part of my entry, I won't make you a crappy graphics entry.

I hope number won't just a crude unexplained technical part of the game play mechanics, but somehow connect with the setting/story.

You mean that numbers must be a part of the setting/story itself? Not like numbers that are displayed as cards you can collect, exchange or sell?

That's not a problem. I'm just saying it would be nice for the numbers to be connected with the story as well. If it's done smart and interestingly, it would definitely result in few more points during scoring. But it's not mandatory.

landeel

• Forum Howler
  • http://cmcgames.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 06:40:02 AM »
ok, now that the distraction of the WorldCup is over... i can resume my game...
:'(