10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: The Lost Vikings  (Read 3557 times)

Tusike

• Novice
    • MSN Messenger - varnaipeti@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Lost Vikings
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »
I know you all like old games, and here's one of my favorites. I played it in 3rd grade but I never finished it. I totally forgot about it until yesterday it popped into my mind.
The funny thing is, each level has a 4 letter code, and when I saw some of them, I was like "oh yeah I remember this code" :D

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/12

Have fun!

-Tusike

EDIT: I forgot to say that it's a puzzle platformer game, you control 3 vikings, each can do different things, and the levels are designed to have them help each other. As the levels increase, the more they need to work together and it becomes pretty hard.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:53:13 AM by Tusike »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: The Lost Vikings
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
I remember The Lost Vikings and I think I even finished it. I mostly consider it a puzzle game, and while it was addictive and fun to great extent, it lacked that "magic factor" for the game to have a special place in my heart, that sort of quality where the story or the setting immerses you in, games like Another World, Star Control 2, Turrican 2, ...

Never got around playing the sequel, but looking at the screenshot right now at MobyGames, it looks fuglish. One of those early rendered graphics games...

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

mysoft

• Recruit
    • MSN Messenger - mysoft@bol.com.br
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
Re: The Lost Vikings
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »
oh yeah, it's a pretty awesome game... for those who don't think that yet, you saw nothing, looks like what could be done with it (my dream would have some online multiplayer of it)

this tas video of it is very very awesome and it's not far from what would be possible while playing multiplayer :) (each one with their own screen, unlike the snes/genesis version ;p, and maybe then smarter enemies or something like that to give a new sensation to it)

http://tasvideos.org/703M.html

also btw.. i have wip of a clone of this great game in freebasic, but i don't have motivation to finish it all alone, maybe i can recruit a partner? xDD

if someone want more info about it or see the wip just say, that then maybe i can create a topic for it?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:52:40 AM by mysoft »
Programming is like love... you will never acomplish anything by treating your language as if it was a tool, or a slave of yours...