10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: FBGD Rescue The Colors Competition (Nov 2011 - end of Jan 2012), 250 $ 1st prize  (Read 55388 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
FBGD RESCUE THE COLORS COMPETITION

It's that time in the year again people. Time for another FBGD competition! This year's theme is - RESCUE THE COLORS! Yay!

Now what do I mean by that?

The goal is to create a game that starts in a mock (pseudo) 1 bpp mode, with only black and white color used (no grey shades!). As the game progresses, new colors need to be unlocked/introduced, to a minimum of any 8 colors, up to 32-bit color mode. No restrictions there.

It can be any game from an RPG where you find/release colors hidden/captured by an evil wizard, an action game where new colors are introduced as you advance making the game more challenging in some way, or some puzzle game where new colors expand the gameplay mechanics. Any genre. Text games allowed! Just remember. Start black+white! This is where you enter with clever and original ideas. The only restrictions are, the game has to start in two-color black+white mode, new colors have to be unlocked/introduced gradually or at some point of the game, and new colors have to influence the gameplay and or look of the game.

Competition rules:

* the entry must begin in two-color (black+white) mode and feature unlocking/finding of new colors, which effect the gameplay and/or look of the game (the menu, intro story can be multi-color)
* the minimum is a single change from two-color mode to multi-color (any 8 colors minimum) mode, but more points are given to gradual unlocking/introducing of new colors
* the game can switch from two-color mode into multi-color mode back and forth, it doesn't have to be restricted to a linear progression toward more and more colors, think out of the box  (just not too much :P)
* source code must be provided with the entry
* all libraries wrapped for FreeBASIC are allowed
* the competition entries must be submitted via email or in this thread before the 1st of Feb, 2012, 00:01 GMT
* the winner will receive 250 $ cash prize paid via PayPal or in goods payable with PayPal; the runner-up will receive 50 $ cash prize
* all entries will be evaluated solely by me (Lachie Dazdarian), while one category will be based on community votes
* teams are allowed
* non-original work MUST be credited (music, graphics, story, ...)

Scoring details (similar as in the last competition):

Game design (35 points max): The emphasis in this category will be on how the theme is conceptualized in the game mechanics, how cleverly the new colors are introduced in the game and how do they influence the gameplay or look of the game. The more the new colors influence and change the gameplay/appearance on an interesting way, the more points are given in this category. Also, the more gradual this change is and not sudden, with least original execution being a single change from two-color to multi-color mode, the more points a specific entry will be awarded with.

Gameplay (15 points max): In this category I will evaluate how much the game is fun and challenging to play.

Progression (6 Points max): In this category I will evaluate the progression in the game (is it present and how much it enhances the play experience). This will be used to award the entries that feature more depth in comparison to those that don't feature it.

Replay Value (6 Points max)

Graphics (7 points max)

Sound/music (7 points max)

Personal likeness (from 4 to 6 points max)

Community vote (up to 10 points): Depends on the number of entries. I'll try to separate the entries with at least 2 points, depending on their final placement in community vote.

With more than 2.5 months to produce something and, in my opinion, with a very stimulating theme (restrictive yet flexible enough), I am predicting a very cool competition, indeed.

I was inspired for this theme during a conversation with someone regarding color restrictive game dev competition and later after finding this thread: http://opengameart.org/content/tileset-1bit-color

You can find a cool creative commons two-color tileset there, btw.

Questions and announcements of participation are more than welcomed.

Good luck, and thank you for participating.

P.S.

Donations in the way of increasing the prizes are more that welcome. Email me if interested.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:04:43 AM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
Fun idea, Lachie. I've thought about game ideas like this in the past, centered mostly around the progressively appearing RPG. My thought went beyond colors to having other aspects of the game change as you advance. So the game would start out black and white, and along the way you'd have the ability to "paint" the scene by remembering, for example, that some girls eyes were blue or that the flowers by the door were a bright red. I suppose it would've been a game based on recreating a memory and then having to remember not just the appearance of things but their purpose and your own purpose.

Of course... that's much too ambitious for a developer of my attention span.  It never developed, and I'm sure I'll have to aim for something a little lower, but it wouldn't be an FBDG competition without me showing up to give it the ol' college try. We'll see if three months is long enough for me to dream up and complete a project. :)

barok

• Novice
  • Disco Drew Wins!
    • View Profile
    • Email
This actually sounds like a really fun idea.  I'm very busy for the next couple months, but I'll see about creating something for this competition.  (I may have to relearn freebasic to do so though. :P)
...He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD.  Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

Never mess with the lord, or he'll maul you with bears. :)

KDAG

• Amoeba
    • MSN Messenger - zildjiankev@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
 :o Alright Lachie, this one sounds fun and I do have a few good ideas to choose from, but you know how busy I am with work, school, and my other programming priorities. I think I can throw something fun together that won't be as time consuming as The Dungeoneer.
Alright gang..... Let's get reeeeaaaaddddyyyyy to rumble!
Learn and Have Fun!!!

Tusike

• Novice
    • MSN Messenger - varnaipeti@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think it's brilliant. I hope I'll have time to come up with a great idea and do it next to my university.

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Great idea for a comp! Time to get thinking...

niz567

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fun idea!  :( Unfortunately I will be "out" for several days, I think I will not be participating.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Hrm, to competition lasts over 80 days. People, let the theme fester in your brain for a week or two if necessary.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Tusike

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
I came up with an idea centered around a breakout game so I can finally program one. But seeing as I came up with it on the train coming home, I'll think about it and consider other things as well for a week or so. Still, dibs :P

redcrab

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Cute Short Game Project
    • Email
Indeed a very nice theme. Hope I will get time to submit something.

Dr_D

• Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dr_davenstein
    • View Profile
    • Dr_D's apps
    • Email
Holy... Barok? Redcrab? I have to make something this time! :) How have you guys been?

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Just thinking out loud, i am currently thinking about some sort of platform / puzzler:

Start a level with blocks at the bottom of the screen and an object to get (probably a diamond..). By shooting the blocks you give them a colour and property e.g. make it red and it floats, blue moves left and right so you have to essentially construct the level to complete the task. Combined colours such as red+blue would float and move left/right. Different properties get gained as you play.

Edit 16th Nov 2011: Not doing this, seemed too dull to play and to make...

But given that it is still very early, i may end up making something totally different like rainbow r-type... :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:32:33 AM by ssjx »

Tusike

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can we use Easy GL2D? I've never tried it before so I'm curious about it.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Of course you can.

Dr_D

• Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dr_davenstein
    • View Profile
    • Dr_D's apps
    • Email
You should also be able to use normal opengl color commands with that lib as well... so you can stay true to the color requirements. ;)