10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Hex Factor Update -> In Progress  (Read 5924 times)

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
Hex Factor Update -> In Progress
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »
I am using ALL my spare time to finish up my game Hex Factor. When I'm not programming for work, or working at the family restaurant or taking care of my 3 1/2 year old son, or fixing computers on the side.  :-X Oh, and when I'm not helping Lachie finishing his game BARREN.  ;D

I removed all the Windows specific code and strictly using FBGFX. I have recompiled it about 500 times and I'm still going through the list of errors. Whew!

I expect to have it finished in 2-3 weeks.

You can download the demo version here..
www.ftpisland.com/files/HexFctr.zip

-Vince

Cheers!
-Vince

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
Re: Hex Factor Update -> In Progress
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
Awesome, Vince.  Really looking forward to the finished product.  Will try to test the demo out this evening if I get a chance.  I tend to be as busy as you sound, tho. ;)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 05:22:10 PM »
I'm confused now. Do you still want BETA to be added to FBGD? Becuase 2-3 weeks is not remote future.

I really believe you are mistaken thinking you'll gain any notable feedback with Hex Factor BETA being on FBGD before the final version. Well, more that you would get in this and fb.net forum.

I'll try to find time to test the demo this weekend.

EDIT: Hrm...33 megs. And over 100 uncompiled. Yeah, perhaps you should have separated the distribution part. Well, I'll just wait for the final version.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:22:59 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »
Tip:  make it more obvious that you have to press F1.  I waited a while as the music played, waiting for it to get to the menu so I could start the game and pressing all kinds of keys in case there was a way to "skip" the loading screen.  I finally pressed F1 and that worked.  Some users might just give up.
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »
Tip:  make it more obvious that you have to press F1.  I waited a while as the music played, waiting for it to get to the menu so I could start the game and pressing all kinds of keys in case there was a way to "skip" the loading screen.  I finally pressed F1 and that worked.  Some users might just give up.

Yeah. That was a big complaint from lots of testers. I have greatly simplified the title screen and menus.

UPDATE:

I finally have the bulk of Hex Factor converted to FBRTL with NO reliance on Windows. It uses FBGFX, FBSOUND and for now, FreeImage (I need to find a good JPG/BMP loader). The game is now playable and all sounds and animations are working.

I am having one problem and that is the fonts. With windows I was able to use Windows TTF fonts and scale/color them how I wanted. Draw String is not so flexible so I am working on new font routines.

Once I get that going, I will post a new BETA.

Cheers!
-Vince
Cheers!
-Vince