gfxgfxFreeBASIC Games Directory Forumgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2017, 07:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
14.09.2014 - Check the results of our latest game dev competition here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=606.0
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: 502 Rally demo  (Read 17628 times)
Dr_D
Forum Sage

dr_davenstein
View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 16, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »

There are some things that need work, but here's a demo of the racing game I'm working on. There is only one vehicle and one track right now, but I'd like to get some feedback on the general feeling of it. Thanks!  Cheesy

Controls:
up arrow = gas
down arrow = reverse
left/right arrows = turn
ctrl = brake
space = reset vehicle rotation and add some vertical velocity(in case you flip)

http://drd.orly.mine.nu/download.php?id=31
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:19:51 PM by Dr_D » Logged
BadMrBox
Forum Sage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 07:38:12 PM »

It's too hard to turn left or right and you crash way too easy. I'm sure you will sort that out Wink.
Looks awsome still. Cheesy

Edit: I just saw something really really wrong with the shadow of the tires. It looks like they are moving all over the place Shocked. Didn't happen the first time I tested it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 07:45:22 PM by BadMrBox » Logged

Tusike
Novice

varnaipeti@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 02:14:45 AM »

Yes the shadow is a bit weird. Also, I fell off the edge, and when I pressed SPACE, the tires fell off ! Cheesy
It was really fun.

How do you do all the collision checking?

-Tusike
Dr_D
Forum Sage

dr_davenstein
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 02:27:53 AM »

It's too hard to turn left or right and you crash way too easy. I'm sure you will sort that out Wink.
Looks awsome still. Cheesy

Edit: I just saw something really really wrong with the shadow of the tires. It looks like they are moving all over the place Shocked. Didn't happen the first time I tested it.

Damn, I don't get that man. I think it might be a bug with the nVidia driver. Nothing ever goes wrong here, but when I updated my driver the other day, I can't run *anything* full screen that's below 640x480, where I used to be able to go all the way down to 320x200.

Tusike, Newton provides the contact position, normal, velocity, etc... you just decide what to do with it. Wink
By the way, can one of you guys get a screenshot of this please?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:33:27 AM by Dr_D » Logged
phycowelder
Novice

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 02:40:24 AM »

cool man! awsome work!
Dr_D
Forum Sage

dr_davenstein
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 02:42:58 AM »

Thanks, Phycowelder. Does everything look ok for you?
Tusike
Novice

varnaipeti@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 03:54:54 AM »

Picture 1 - shadow bug:  http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=bfvyt3fmvxo&thumb=4
Picture 2 - shadow bug:  http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=azsqobixgxt&thumb=4

And after uploading these images, I figured that I'll also add the picture of my breakout game's menu: http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=2ylxn1ehbsk&thumb=4
Dr_D
Forum Sage

dr_davenstein
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 04:04:03 AM »

Wow, that's totally borked man. This is what it's supposed to look like..

I have no idea what could be wrong there, as the bound texture unit on the walls is not even the correctly bound texture.

If I post a patch exe, could you try that?

btw, menu looks nice. Smiley

Here's a test patch, if you're willing to try it. Maybe your card requires depth clamping... hopefully. It looks like the skybox wasn't right either though. :\
http://www.mediafire.com/?0vibbycj3yw
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 04:10:03 AM by Dr_D » Logged
Tusike
Novice

varnaipeti@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 05:29:43 AM »

it still doesn't work.
Try e-mailing me the rar: varnaipeti@hotmail.com. I think you should only e-mail everything besides the images, otherwise it will take a lot of time to attach the whole folder. Maybe the file-hosting somehow corrupts the exe. I heard of something like that before, and it happened to me.

Then again, it might just be the computers. On my laptop, the sound for Plix is great, it works and runs smoothly. On other computers, it's horrible, and makes a lot of extra irritating noises...

-Tusike
Jonge
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 05:37:39 AM »

I'm getting some strange artifacts when running your demo:
This is with Multi-texturing OFF, shaders OFF and anisotropic texture filtering OFF:

This is with Multi-texturing ON, shaders OFF and anisotropic texture filtering OFF:

From the debug file:
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object is NOT supported
GL_ARB_multitexture is supported
4 Texture units supported
GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is NOT supported

Its probably not so strange that this happens, because I'm running an integrated Intel gfx card  Grin

codeheim.NET - Homemade game madness!
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »

Could you find another host for this file? I'm having some huge and annoying problems with surfing for the last three days, but only with loading up websites (really weird). So if I get a direct link and the downloading starts, I can download fine. You know how much crap MediaFire gives you before it allows you to start a download.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
phycowelder
Novice

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 10:07:50 AM »

i tested it almost 20-30 times!
not a problem here!

the steering is hard though! almost Rally style, but i asumed that was 4 a reason!
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »

Well, I finally downloaded. It's barelly playable on my PC with lowest settings. What happened with the FPS counter?

Anyway, the steering IS way too difficult right now. And it doesn't seem to be that the camera is following the car always properly.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
Dr_D
Forum Sage

dr_davenstein
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »

Well, it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't run right on the integrated gfx card. Those things usually have horrible OpenGL support. I'm still tweaking the physics, and trying to find a solution for those of you who have trouble with the stencil buffer. Thanks. Smiley
Xerol
Recruit

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 10:49:55 PM »

Runs at an average speed on my ~2 year old machine. Might want to add a key to reset the entire game (for when you drive off the edge). Everything seems to respond less at lower framerates (i.e. higher settings), especially the steering (is this frame-based or time-based?)

I think the camera should be positioned a bit lower. I like to use two points to run my cameras, one for the actual position and one for the desired position. Each frame I'd update the desired position and then move the actual position towards that at a controlled rate. It results in a much smoother camera movement and also tends to avoid a lot of quirky problems with directly computing the camera position.

I tend to lose traction EASILY when trying to brake using Down. It might work better if you have down act as Brake when the velocity > 0 and reverse when it's <= 0 (and vice versa for Up).
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: