10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Barren (ex: LONG) teaser image.  (Read 21277 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Barren (ex: LONG) teaser image.
« on: January 27, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »
This image (with few nitpicks by me to fit it into the game style) is an addition by Vincent DeCampo, who joined the Barren team recently.

If you don't know, LONG (now Barren) is a point and click adventure game I've been developing since 2002, and am determined now to finish it in the next 2 months.

Why showing you this image? I don't know. I'm kinda bored with the community for the last few days and also need some motivational support to get me through the final phase of the development.

I have 2 more scenes to add (gfx for one are half done), and since my scripting engine is horrible this will be a pain in the ass. I don't know how I did it with the previous 23 scenes. And no, rewriting the code makes no sense now when the game is so near completion. What is done is done.

As much as the game is close to completion (like I said, 2 more scenes to add out of some 26 total), it's quite far from it. Because, there are 2 very demanding animations to be drawn and coded (one of them is the end game animation), and the music (which is composed) and sound effects need to be implemented. Don’t forget all those final nitpicks and extra unplanned changes.

Nevertheless, I'm hopeful and finally see the end of this project. It won't be something special, and I have to keep reminding myself to tone down my ambition with this game, since it can't be raised much above the work done so far.

Anyway, hope to share the final version with you soon and put this game dev nightmare behind me.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Barren (ex: LONG) teaser image.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 03:25:51 PM »
That looks awesome.  Lachie, I'm really looking forward to this game completing.  Finish it please D:  There's no reason to stop now because the sooner this game is done, the more awesomer.  I don't mind if the sequence is hackish or whatever - You already said you're not rewriting anything, so why does it matter how much extra code it costs? :D

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 03:31:36 PM »
That's nice Lachie but the font is slightly hard to read at that particular screenshot. Perhaps you could darken the shadow a little more?

And do finish the game soon :D

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:03:48 PM »
Oh yeah... wow, didn't even notice until BMB pointed it out, but yeah, the text is hard to read where it goes over the cross.  At least darken the outline/shadow, that will make it possible to read.
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

nkk_kan

• Forum Howler
  • Let's rocK~!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nkk_kan
    • View Profile
    • nkk's code cache
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:42:33 AM »
Barren? what happened to Noname general  ??? probably got a name i suppose  :P
by the way that grave looks  :o
Font looks ok...well if you could change their colour according to the background it would good for eyes
i love such kind of games..looking forward to it!  :P
keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:45:05 AM by nkk_kan »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »
Thanks for the support.

Funny about the text readability. This new scene is probably the only place in the entire game where that is a problem. I'll see what I can do.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

dabooda

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • DaBooda Gaming
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »
You need to hurry and release this one. I love point and clicks and this looks really groovy. As for the text, I can read it and I am sure it isn't an issue in fullscreen mode. Things tend to clear up in fullscreen.

DaBooda out...
Baa...Baa...Bang! F&#K! I'm Wool!

ShadowLoneWolf

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 05:16:21 PM »
Nice Screenshot;
the game looks like it'll be fun to play;

barok

• Novice
  • Disco Drew Wins!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
Well, so far it looks good.  It lacks a bit of color, but perhaps that's to help set the mood.  The GUI seems simple yet intuitive.  You got your directional arrows, presumably to move between screens, hand to pick up and perhaps use items, magnifying glass to view items, and an inventory.  The screen seems well made.  You can tell that it's a cloudy day.  It looks quite hilly.  The hills seem a bit greyed though... almost like it's foggy outside, yet nothing else displays this characteristic.  (the crosses, other hill.)  I especially like the way the cross has been done.  A cross embedded with diamonds, obviously old and worn by wind and weathering.  I like how it's got text that almost looks readable, yet isn't quite, once again worn out by the wind and rain.  Regardless, the art style works well: the background is viewable, yet doesn't detract attention from the main focus, the cross.  nice. 

My last suggestion would be to add a solid black border around the text.  That way no matter what the background is, the text will be easily readible. 

Anyways, that's just my two cents.  It's hard to comment on a game from just a screenshot.  I'm looking forward to the game... i love point and clicks. :)
...He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD.  Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

Never mess with the lord, or he'll maul you with bears. :)

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »
I especially like the way the cross has been done.  A cross embedded with diamonds, obviously old and worn by wind and weathering.  I like how it's got text that almost looks readable, yet isn't quite, once again worn out by the wind and rain.  Regardless, the art style works well: the background is viewable, yet doesn't detract attention from the main focus, the cross.  nice. 
* vdecampo smiles!  ;D ;D
Cheers!
-Vince

nkk_kan

• Forum Howler
  • Let's rocK~!
    • View Profile
    • nkk's code cache
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 03:48:50 AM »
one tiny little er...suggestion :P(?)..can't you magnify the things which are behind that magnifying glass and make it a little bit bigger?   ;D :P

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 09:19:57 AM »
one tiny little er...suggestion :P(?)..can't you magnify the things which are behind that magnifying glass and make it a little bit bigger?   ;D :P

Very funny.

Actually, I would consider this if it had a purpose.

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »
Purpose?  To add a little polish.  Actually, it wouldn't really be a bad idea, and it would make the game a little more interesting.  Just use Scale2x, then draw the magnifying glass over that and draw transparency outside the circle so only inside the circle is magnified.  Probably wouldn't be too hard, and it would be kinda cool.
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 08:35:11 PM »
The problem is that the cursor size is really small (to be precise – the space under the magnifying glass), and the active point of the cursor is on the red position. I would have to change that to the center of the glass circle and...well, I'll see. ;)

nkk_kan

• Forum Howler
  • Let's rocK~!
    • View Profile
    • nkk's code cache
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 02:25:56 AM »
yeah..as notthecheater said..to add a little polish..looks cool..coz i've seen that implemented in some games like these..
i can live without that feature  ;D but thought you would like to make your game a bit more flashy :P..