10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: HexFactor - (Under Reconstruction)  (Read 4227 times)

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
HexFactor - (Under Reconstruction)
« on: January 26, 2008, 05:01:31 PM »
Hex Factor was my very first complete program written in FreeBasic. Since I started it I have learned many new and efficient methods for doing things that I have decided to implement in the game. One major thing is using FBGFX instead of Windows GDI for graphics and collision testing. HexFactor relies heavily on in-memory DIBs and GDI for transparent blitting. I want to replace all of this "Windows" dependent code with FBGFX code in the hope of making the game Linux compatible, and increase its' speed.

This will unfortunately delay the final release but the I will leave the .95 version available for demo purposes.

Cheers!
-Vince
Cheers!
-Vince

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: HexFactor - (Under Reconstruction)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »
Do I have version 0.95? Did you plan to provide a link to it or forgot?

Anyway, I hope you do some additional polish. Not much, but few tweaks on the menu controls are needed, and perhaps a better documentation. Other than that, I quite liked the game.

P.S.

I wonder why you didn't use FBGFX in the first place. The second path seems much more complicated to me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:13:02 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »
Sorry about that. My iMakeGames.com site is also down for reconstruction.l.. ::)

You can get Hex Factor here... http://www.ftpisland.com/files/HexFctr.zip

Cheers!
-Vince
Cheers!
-Vince

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:03:57 PM »
I wonder why you didn't use FBGFX in the first place. The second path seems much more complicated to me.

I was already well versed in using Windows graphics, DirectX, etc...

I only had FreeBASIC for 3 weeks and I had not explored the full potention of FBGFX.

I am much wiser now!  ;D

-Vince
Cheers!
-Vince

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 08:53:13 PM »
Glad you're going to work on this.  fbgfx is so much cleaner and easier, not to mention the bonus of cross-platformness.

Liked HexFactor when I first saw it, hopefully with a bit of added polish you'll soon be able to add yet another great game to the FBGD :)
The funniest thing happened yesterday.