gfxgfxFreeBASIC Games Directory Forumgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 25, 2017, 04:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
14.09.2014 - Check the results of our latest game dev competition here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=606.0
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: UnAlien  (Read 6918 times)
KristopherWindsor
Forum Sage

The Thirsty Smiley

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:06:26 AM »

I haven't changed anything since I posted the Beta, but there weren't any bug reports, either. Cheesy

Objective:
Save you empire from the evil aliens!

Controls:
Up - accelerate up
Right - go right faster
Space - fire

Minimum CPU:
1GHz

New technologies:
- Macros to consolidate some common code
- New collision detection function
- Use of (graphic -> width) and a bitmap loading function, so the size of the graphics is defined by the actual bitmap file, instead of constants in the program
- Shr 1 instead of / 2

http://fusionware.ourproject.org/itech/uploads/unalien.zip

See also: Who am I? And where did these bubbles come from?

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:17:12 AM by KristopherWindsor » Logged

dabooda
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 12:40:52 AM »

It's definitely different. But thats a good thing. I like it. The controls took a bit to get adjusted to and I felt that I ran into stuff a little to easily, but other than that pretty groovy. I liked the music and the sound effects. The shots leaving cracks in things was also a good touch. The graphics though where a little strange for what they where supposed to be, I felt like I should be dodging stuff that shouldn't be dodged and vice versa. Is this final?

DaBooda out...

Baa...Baa...Bang! F&#K! I'm Wool!
KristopherWindsor
Forum Sage

The Thirsty Smiley

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 01:30:54 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention, the graphics are terrible Tongue, so if anyone wants to change them, please do. Wink
You can add new graphics and levels without changing the source code (except for the level total variable), so maybe someone can take advantage of that. Smiley

I was a bit cheap on the sound effects; the only four sounds are borrowed from Zonaxtic. Tongue
The music is a bit better, and Checknobankh (sp?) is one of my favorite MOD files (and one of the first I heard). Wink

The controls may take awhile to learn, but the gravity and anti-gravity are responsive, so you can navigate quite well after some practice.

The game is probably final; I wouldn't like to spend a month polishing a game I wrote in one week. Tongue Cheesy

Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »

Yeah, I agree on the graphics. Rather poor job. Especially the background.

I also didn't like that invinicbility is not flagged properly with some sort of blinking. For a while I thought the collision was flawed.

Anyway, finished the game. It was fun, but I doubt I'll play it again. I think you could have cut 5 levels there, as many look very similar and feel like a chore. Also, balls movement and placement felt wrong on many places (like them stuck on walls)

Like I said, fun game while you are discovering it, but also many flaws (the graphics, level design) that take a lot from the positive aspects. 60 % (12/20) by my opinion.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
notthecheatr
Global Moderator
Forum Sage

Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?

notthecheatr TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 08:17:36 PM »

Well, not a bad game, although I've played a lot of games like it.  But yeah, you really should have made your graphics better before releasing, the one or two week wait at most would have been worth it.

And yeah, collision is weird.  Even if I hit a mountain or whatever I still go through it after the explosion effect.  Also after I hit the ground, I can continue moving across the ground with no trouble.  This is unrealistic and rather unfortunate.

I would give it an 8/20, and really, if you'd worked at it for a week or two more at most it could have gotten a much higher score.  Even now it's not too late to do so, and it would be well worth it.

The funniest thing happened yesterday.
KristopherWindsor
Forum Sage

The Thirsty Smiley

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 09:35:28 PM »

If you'd worked at it for a week or two more at most it could have gotten a much higher score.

I don't want to triple the developement time just to get some points. Tongue
I am done with this game, I think, since I will now try some things in OpenGL and my OLPC.
(There are two minor things to update, but they don't affect the game much.)
I'm not the best at making graphics, anyway, so I think someone else should improve them.

Even if I hit a mountain or whatever I still go through it after the explosion effect.

There is no possible way to stop this.
I.e. the brick wall fills the whole height of the screen in some places, so what happens if you miss the bomb to destroy it?
That would end the game if I didn't let the ship go through the obstacles (with a penalty of one life).

Well, not a bad game, although I've played a lot of games like it.

Even with the gravity? (That started the concept for this game.)

Smiley

Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:34:14 AM »

You asked me in the chatroom which track was from Shadow of the Beast II after I mentioned it. Well, it's the track "bea.mod".

I checked http://modarchive.org for it, and I'm kinda disappointed it's not credited properly.

Also, I didn't find any clear information on the site in question which tracks are free to use. Maybe you can enlighten me.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
KristopherWindsor
Forum Sage

The Thirsty Smiley

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 05:03:14 PM »

Also, I didn't find any clear information on the site in question which tracks are free to use. Maybe you can enlighten me.

Beats me. Tongue
I download a lot of Mods from the torrent, put the good ones at the top of the playlist, then just pick some good ones for my games. I'll probably have to ask each MOD artist if I want to use these in a non-free game. ;-)

Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »

Bah, who wants to make a non-free game? Tongue

Pritchard
Global Moderator
Forum Howler

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »

The art is crazy, but low quality.  This game interested me a lot for a while.  I have to say that there's a nice variety of elements and that it's an interesting game overall.  It just feels beta though.  As if things have to be tweaked more and minor features have to be added before this game gets more interesting.

I'm also going to have to go ahead and say that the alien enemies are pretty much useless and suck, because they're aligned in columns, which don't move, and sometimes overwhelm you, yet you're constantly being pushed forward...
KristopherWindsor
Forum Sage

The Thirsty Smiley

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 10:48:26 PM »

I'll try to do better next time. Cheesy
Although I can't promise better graphics; maybe I'll go troll some art forums to get help. Wink Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: