10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2  (Read 11229 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Hello everyone!

I hope you don't mind me opening a topic for round 2 of the competition, not to clutter the original post which I think should be about round 1 entries, announcing winners, post-results comments, etc. For round 1 participants you can vote here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=626.0

To remind everyone on the rules:
* the entry must reference FreeBASIC in some way, the FreeBASIC community, or its members (it can be more or less related to gameplay, a backdrop, a vague theme, you can toy with the horse mascot for example, make a cyberpunk RPG where you hack using FB, you name it, …)
* the entry must be compiled in FreeBASIC
* source code must be provided with the entry
* all libraries wrapped for FreeBASIC are allowed (FBgfx, GL2D, OpenGL, SDL, ...)
* the competition entries must be submitted via email or in this thread before the 29th of April 2019, 18:00 GMT (EXTENDED!)
* the winner will receive 300 $ cash prize paid via PayPal or Bitcoin or Etherium; the runnerup will receive a 100 $ cash prize
* in case of donations during the course of the competition, prizes will be increased
* all entries will be evaluated by competition sponsors (those who forked their own cash), while one category will be based on community votes
* teams are allowed
* non-original work MUST be credited (music, graphics, story, ...)
* to be eligible for round 2, you must have not (or any team member) actively participated in round 1

Once more, if you are developing for round 2, be so kind to share few words about your work and what we can expect.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:56:20 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

gothon

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
I am participating in Round 2 here is my Work In Progress (WIP)
https://github.com/gothon/FBPoL
There are some prebuilt executables in the Bin subfolder.

Currently there is not much you can do as I need to work more on the game engine and the player programing has no front end!  However you can zoom & rotate the orthogonally rendered Voxel scenery.  Does anyone see that block of code printed in the console?  That is not my program, that is YOUR program.  As PlayerN you are the developer of software that can be used to control these Robots.
Code: [Select]
BotGo 2, "", (MultiKey(75) - MultiKey(77)), 0, (MultiKey(72) - MultiKey(80))
Hint, there are some enum constants used here that are displayed numerically:

BotMoveTo = 2
SC_LEFT = 75
SC_RIGHT = 77
SC_UP = 72
SC_DOWN = 80

'ToDo: Make Implementation & Write Documentation
Sub BotGo (Action As Integer = BotMoveTo, Target As String = "", X As Integer = 0, Y As Integer = 0, Z As Integer = 0)

Some additional keys to control the main program:
 - Press Esc to exit
 - Press Alt+'~' to cycle window size (eventually you will get a screen sized window, and if you have multiple monitors it will eventually cover all monitors!)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Anyone else doing anthing for round 2?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
I'm going for it. I failed round 1. damn it if i fail round 2. If I do I'll camp on an island for a couple of years green arrow style.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Deadline extended until 8th of April.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Only one week left to go. Guys, and light at the end of the tunnel?

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
I'm extending the deadline one last time until 22nd of April.

FXG861

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
Hi Lachie,

I was not able to join the first competition but decided to join Round 2

And Thank you for that extra Delay...

It is nice to be back because my last competition was in 2012.
I am sure you can remember ;).

It is again an old style but Shooting Game this time.

The game is "Spacsii" and it is all made in Ascii code / DOS mode

StoryBoard
-------------
You have been hired by the Cities magistrate  to protect
the World of Freebasic from Alien forces.

The cities have limited quantity of Weapon and Shield available.

To save the cities and earn bonus payment you will need to be quick and
precise by destroying all ships and Bomb from the enemy fleet.

Bounties are side missions offered by the Cities magistrate.

Grab as many energy block as you can to increase your bank value.

Grab specific letters to form the word FREEBASIC and gain extra $$$.

Get bonuses in exchange of your money to help you win the game.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:44:38 AM by FXG861 »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Thanks for joining the competition. Great news! This seems like it will be an excellent addition to it.

FXG861

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
Here is my final Work.   :D

I hope everyone enjoy playing with it

!!! Good Luck to All  !!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jvz5dma1yumsfk0/AAAO60NTsA_aWQZ0RsYCBX99a?dl=0

badidea

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here is my final Work.   :D
Downloaded it, but a have to boot Windows to try I see. Maybe later.

My (non-final) game: https://nr100.home.xs4all.nl/badidea/freebasic_vs_tetris_2019-04-08.zip

Edit: "Final" version: https://nr100.home.xs4all.nl/badidea/freebasic_vs_tetris_2019-04-29.zip
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:09:32 PM by badidea »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
FXG861, very nice work on that entry. Got canned two times at level 3, though. Time limit seems to be the biggest obstacle so far.

How did you generate the female voice? Nice stuff.

FXG861

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
Lachie, Thank you for your nice comment.

For the voice, i am using a plugin that use the Windows Voice System

You should practice more with the game because the real challenge start after Level 4   ;)

A Hint: Keep Bounty for Next Level

FXG861

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
Since the Closure date is soon but not there yet, i decided to make a little adjustment in my Game.

So i increase "a little bit" the life time of each level.

I don't want the game difficulty to be judge mainly on a timer limit.

Please save the "Freebasic World" and achieve all 8 levels.    ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2rxr99rtju0ssl/Spacsii.exe?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxsj09p9r4cadd4/Spacsii-Final.zip?dl=0