10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Competition (Oct 2018 – Feb 2019), 1000 $ 1st prize  (Read 38050 times)

landeel

• Forum Howler
  • http://cmcgames.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
 :o :o :o
Man, that's an impressive prize.
I'll be putting all my effort into it.

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Wow, those are some big prizes!

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Hi,
I've posted another demo here:

http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/fbgd.php

Still very much a work in progress and lots to do but it is becoming more like what I have in mind.

The python/centipede game is not really playable at the moment, you can skip it by pressing 'c' (for cheat!)

Thanks for looking!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
I really like how your stuff is developing, ssjx. I quite dig how each game features a similar look, and difficulty seems to be on point. Be sure not to make the game too easy. The player needs to be penalized somehow for dieing. One of the main flaws of your previous entries. Maybe add some achievements/secrets for finishing the game without dieing or something. Also, would be nice if you could develop more the appearance in the cyber world of the thing you control, to be similar in each game. Dunno. And I'm not sure I dig the pacman ghosts you shoot at. Maybe they should be some sphere you hunt around, something more "plausable". Who are these pacman ghosts, with what and why are you shooting at them?

I would also like to see a humorous story how evil C++ programming brough down the civilization, or something crazy like that.

Well, anyway, you see your entry got me thinking in 10 directions.,
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:32:17 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Thanks for the feedback, most of your points are on the lengthy todo list:

* The ghosts (graphics) are pretty much place holders until i draw something nicer. They are the programs having escaped from their devices, there is a good chance they will be spider like. Or at least more tied to the general look. Collision detection with the ghosts/spiders is also on the list...

* Each sub game will have varying difficulties, e.g. the first device (say tablet) will have an easy level, the next tablet would have a more difficult version and so on. Moving blocks will be added next to the maze game.

* The look of each sub game will also be improved to tie in with the device too.

* The ships graphics are place holders too. Thinking i will aim for more Tron like...

I will be making a little intro animation to explain this all! So far it is looking like 'Lightening bolt strikes router bringing all these evil programs to life and freebasic is needed to get them back into their device and cure them'.

Lots to do and I really want to include a Tempest / STUN Runner game as it seems like the perfect way to represent a network link! :)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Hi. I've talked to few people in private who still didn't start but nevertheless want to do something, and also noticed in the forums few late arrivals. And there was the late substantial prize pool increase. So I'm thinking about extending the deadline for about two weeks, but I don't want anyone who started early to feel cheated by the extension, so I'm basically looking for an unanimous acceptance of this decision.

Eager to hear your opinion.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Hi, I have no problem with the deadline being extended! :)

gothon

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
My project is taking me a lot of time to get it fully running, and I see the posts from others starting late, so I welcome an extension as will likely help many people get their entries fleshed out.

landeel

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
I'm in favor of the extension. :)

mambazo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Looking forward to playing all these :) I haven't touch FB in quite some time!! I'm also in favour of an extension due to some technical setbacks!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:30:38 AM by mambazo »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Due to huge prize pool increase and popular demand, I'm extending the deadline to 4th of February 2019. This is the ONLY and FINAL extension. Bear that in mind and good luck.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Lol, another donor, another prize increase. The prize pool is 2400 USD now, first prize being 1000 USD.

1st place - 1000 USD
2nd place - 700 USD
3rd place - 400 USD
4th place - 200 USD
5th place - 100 USD

The current sponsors:
Pritchard - 200 USD
Leopardpm - 100 USD
Pete Berg - 100 USD
Lachie Dazdarian - 250 USD
Anonymous 1 - 1250 USD
Anonymous 2 - 500 USD
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:45:17 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »

landeel

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
Here's some gameplay of my WIP:
https://youtu.be/BcY3NG7bqkw

mambazo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
That's looking really good, landeel! Looking forward to the rest of the story :P