gfxgfxFreeBASIC Games Directory Forumgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 15, 2018, 10:14:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
14.10.2018 - We are currently running a game dev competition with a 300 USD first prize, up until 14th of January, 2019. Check the official competition thread here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=623.0
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Toadman 3  (Read 10200 times)
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 02:19:50 PM »

I'm rejoiced to hear this developing with such motivation.

You can count on me as a dedicated player.

Keep it up, bud! For all of us, slacking around. :/

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »

Thanks man!

The last two months haven't been as productive, but the game's still progressing. I'm hoping to get back up to speed.

Working on having a playable demo soon, hopefully it'll be ready for late March or early April. Then I think it's just a few more months of dev to finish the game, mostly for additional content and polish.

ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 10:30:04 AM »

Here's a new gameplay video: http://t.co/YFBUNEQfbO.

Also, the title has been changed to Toad On Fire. Here's the menu/title screen: http://t.co/SmTpGT1YAL.

No more teasing after this. I'll have a playable demo out next month.

BadMrBox
Forum Sage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 04:27:17 AM »

Eagerly waiting for next month Smiley

ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 11:52:49 PM »

...and I'm sorry it took a year instead of a month...

Anyway, here's the playable demo. Smiley

http://www.indiedb.com/games/toad-on-fire/downloads/toad-on-fire-alpha-demo-v2-march-2016

Some new screenshots:

Here's some new screenshots.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:26:37 AM by ecxjoe » Logged

Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 01:23:33 PM »

Finally got around to play it. My life sucks. Or what I'm doing with it sucks.

Anyway, really liked the smooth engine and it all played very nice full screen on my Windows 8.1 OS. No glitches there.

I enjoyed reaching the stage 3, and I really like the destructive nature of the main weapon. Gives a nice flavor to the gameplay that you should retain. I did feel the drones with their super fast laser projectiles were unfair, and I ended up usually avoiding them, as I failed to find a good strategy not to get hit by them.

Puzzle could use more work on them (should be more clever), if you insist on having more of them through-out the game.

I would appreciate more animation in the graphics, because the game screen does feel somewhat too static. Everything that is not moving is fixed (besides water and burning trees, if I'm not mistaken). Some flickering lights, trees moving with the wind, floating stuff on the water going up and down by a pixel, more smoke, ...all that would be cool. Any particles that appear, they just swoosh out of existence really fast. I want to see more evidence of my destruction. Tongue

I would appreciate if you could add more context to all the game content. It does feel a bit random at the moment. If adding some wandering character and dialogues appearing here and there is not what you had in mind, you could at least add some progression map showing you moving forward with the stages  (like moving through the meadow, swamps, mountain, all toward some space-ship). I always like that in games because it made you curious/excited about what follows (like this I'm not aware of the number of stages or variety that is offered). Also, with this approach you can even leave the game completely mute within the stages (story-wise), to make the very gameplay 100 % action oriented.

Bugs? Try to replace being pushed of the map edges by simply preventing the player to move when hitting the map edge.

All in all, very good progress. Looking forward to future versions.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
BadMrBox
Forum Sage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »

I liked it. Something that i had a rough time with was aligning myself swiftly to be able to pass blocks and it resulting in me dying a couple of times.

ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »

Cool! Thanks for the feedback guys. This is good stuff. Really appreciate it. Smiley

So it's about the middle of the year, already! I can't believe this isn't done yet. I'm hoping to have all the stages mostly done by the end of the year, and to spend the next several months fine-tuning everything and adding the final touches. I have three more stages that have been started, plus I want to make one more that takes place in space (on a space station). So that would make at least seven stages, which is a good amount I think, anymore might be stretching the game too far, but we'll see. Meanwhile, I'm still iterating over previous stages to make improvements. Lots of work to do.

Clay Dragon
Recruit

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 07:37:32 PM »

Nice to see that this place is still alive here! I will definately try your project this week, ecxjoe!

As for my life now, kinda crappy, because my winter session at college was like a train wreck really! Maybe I'm just too old for that stuff. I don't know what to do about it... except maybe flipping burgers at McDonald's!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:46:18 PM by Clay Dragon » Logged
Clay Dragon
Recruit

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 09:08:11 PM »

This is an exciting game ecxjoe!

Beeing a good looking frog with a flame thrower really thrilled me to the core!

The only problem I can see right now is that I get killed often because it take a few seconds to align the frog so it can pass through narrow gates which is quite fustrating... Other than that I just love it!

Can't wait for the next version!

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:14:04 PM by Clay Dragon » Logged
ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 10:07:05 AM »

Thanks Clay Dragon! Glad you liked it. Cheesy

Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping to have that issue fixed for the next demo.

Clay Dragon
Recruit

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 11:25:02 PM »

You're welcome!

If you can help me with some program problem I have, it would be nice:
http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=618.0

Thanks!

edit: Solved!

-> http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24895
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:17:21 AM by Clay Dragon » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]