10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: FBGD Numbers Competition (June 2014 – August 2014), 250 $ 1st prize  (Read 66322 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Back from the oblivion, I present you another FreeBASIC game making competition!

This year's theme is - NUMB3RS

Summary:
The objective in this competition is to create a game that references to numbers in any way through its gameplay and/or story/graphical design.

Competition rules:
* the entry must feature, contain and/or deal with numbers (mathematics in general, or arithmetics, numerology, ...), either directly or indirectly, through gameplay (i.e. a puzzle game with numbers, defending from invading equations using its solutions, RPG or an adventure game about evil/good numbers, strategy game using mathematics, or a murder mystery with a killer using number clues, etc.)
* the entry must be compiled in FreeBASIC
* source code must be provided with the entry
* all libraries wrapped for FreeBASIC are allowed (FBgfx, GL2D, OpenGL, SDL, ...)
* the competition entries must be submitted via email or in this thread before the 18th of August, 2014, 18:00 GMT
* the winner will receive 250 $ cash prize paid via PayPal or in goods payable with PayPal; the 2nd place holder will receive a 50 $ cash prize
* in case of donations during the course of the competition, prizes will be increased
* all entries will be evaluated solely by me (Lachie Dazdarian), while one category will be based on community votes
* teams are allowed
* non-original work MUST be credited (music, graphics, story, ...)

Scoring details (as in the last competition):

Game design (35 points max): The emphasis in this category will be on how much the theme is conceptualized in the game mechanics, how cleverly and in what depth connected and expressed through the gameplay/design

Gameplay (15 points max): In this category I will evaluate how much the game is fun and challenging to play.

Progression (6 Points max): In this category I will evaluate the progression in the game (is it present and how much it enhances the play experience). This will be used to award the entries that feature more depth in comparison to those that don't feature it.

Replay Value (6 Points max)

Graphics (7 points max)

Sound/music (7 points max)

Personal likeness (from 4 to 6 points max)

Community vote (up to 10 points): Depends on the number of entries. I'll try to separate the entries with at least 2 points, depending on their final placement in community vote.

I hope you find the competition theme stimulating enough to participate. I think you have enough time to brainstorm and compile something coherent.

I encourage everyone to share their WIP, but if worried about sharing concepts/ideas before the deadline, I think all would appreciate at least some vague info on what you are working on and the progress.

Good luck and thank you for participating in advance!
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FBGD Numbers Competition (June 2014 – August 2014), 250 $ 1st prize
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »
So my kind of idea for the comp is a competitive "card" game, where the player and a bot are dealt "cards", which are random numbers. You can only see what the opponent's random number is, but each card has an attack and defense that are 2 products of prime factors for the numbers. So the strategy is in choosing good factors. Each player has 6 cards on the table, and each round chooses an opponent's card to attack. If the player's attack surpasses the defending card's defense, the the opponent loses health in proportion to the difference of the two cards' attack. Otherwise the attackers card is lost, but the attacker doesn't lose health. After losing a fixed amount of health, that player loses.

So for example, if you have a "12", that breaks down to factors "2, 2, 3". So for each number, you add it to either attack or defense, such as 5 attack (2 * 3), and 2 defense.

Not terribly complex, but should be doable to finish, even for me.
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 04:36:21 AM »
Number's eh? Thats something to think about :o

berrian

• Novice
  • Mr. Dev
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »
And the third prize should receive $10 prize.
David

Email me at grand.superior@musician.org

Jonge

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • codeheim.NET
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 01:44:10 PM »
I like the theme. I'm probably gonna make some sort of puzzle type of game, though I need to focus on something small(something I have the time to finish)  :)
codeheim.NET - Homemade game madness!

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
Good Theme! Now, I just have to find a good idea of a game!

Zamaster

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »
I'm in, me and my boy are gonna make something.

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:46 AM »
I've got some ideas and a title i need to fit a game to. Time to start making some test programs to see what works! :)

berrian

• Novice
  • Mr. Dev
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
I'm in, me and my boy are gonna make something.

What are they making, Zamaster?
David

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 03:37:46 AM »
I'm having a heckuva problem coming up with a idea O_O;.

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 04:44:25 AM »
I don't think anybody's finding a good numbers theme terribly easily. :P
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 05:21:12 AM »
I'm having trouble too, my very very early ideas are:

* Shooting numbers at asteriods with equations from a fixed space station. I think this game already exists though...

* Ikaruga style shoot em up where you fire odd or even numbers at odd or even ships. Something like getting it's shields to exactly zero so it explodes, negative causes something else to happen. This is the one i am trying to develop.

I don't want the game to end up being clever but no fun like some of my previous entries.

Still thinking though and have not started coding yet...

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
I had some idea, like a Pokιmon RPG and I got the name pretty quickly: "The Master of Pokιnum". But it was too complex and unoriginal for this compo. So, the search for a better idea continues...

berrian

• Novice
  • Mr. Dev
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »
I don't think anybody's finding a good numbers theme terribly easily. :P

Mitchell brought up a good point here. :)
David

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »
I should resurrect Numbervold. :D

https://archive.org/details/TheNumbervold
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:44:00 PM by Ryan »