10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: FBGD Numbers Competition (June 2014 August 2014), 250 $ 1st prize  (Read 33289 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: FBGD Numbers Competition (June 2014 August 2014), 250 $ 1st prize
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
Yup, till 18th of August.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

landeel

• Forum Howler
  • http://cmcgames.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2014, 07:31:29 AM »
Another update! http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/numeria.php

Getting closer to being finished, various bugs fixed and things added. The main things on the todo list are:

* Some character and object animations. Things are a bit too static..
* Maybe a beacon activation puzzle. (Teleport fraction puzzle is new in this release btw..)
* Tidy / improve some of the dialog boxes.
* More sounds

It's mentioned in the readme.txt, right click will cycle through the play menu options (scan/move/attack), hopefully that will help reduce the constant back and forth mouse movement!. I have an idea for another menu method, but am reluctant to make drastic changes with the time remaining.

If the deadline was moved to tomorrow, I would be pretty happy with it in its current state.

Thanks for looking!

landeel

• Forum Howler
  • http://cmcgames.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
Hey ssjx, very good job. I like it.  :)
May I suggest shortcut keys for the menu items? For example, M to move, S to scan, A to attack?

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2014, 11:35:18 AM »
Thanks! Not sure why I haven't added keyboard shortcuts already! Consider it done! :)

Will probably go with number keys, 's' is undocumented and takes a screenshot!

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2014, 02:51:28 PM »
I spent some time this week to polish up a prototype for Dominionoes. To get the engine in place, I've just implemented a simple set of scoring rules (you score whatever number you use to cover up a scoring point) with rudimentary graphics.

I played this game in person with some friends where we incremented the value of each scoring point by 2 points per spot covered up, which was pretty fun, but that's not a good solitaire rule set for competitive scoring. There has to be some way to distinguish final scores beyond "I could complete this seed" vs. "I couldn't."

From the README:

- Arrow keys: choose a domino from your hand or move a selected domino around
  the game board.
- Enter: select the current domino in your hand or place a selected domino on
  the game board. Dominoes can only be played on the board when outlined in
  yellow.
- Space: rotate the currently selected domino to position it on the game board.
- Escape: quit the game when you do not have a domino selected or deselect the
  currently selected domino.
- +/-: change the game seed and rebuild the game.

For any version of the game, the position of scoring points on the game board
and the order of dominoes in the draw pile will be the same for the given seed.
This allows you to compare your score against other players.

I don't know of any bugs in this version, so please report them if you find them, but it's noticeably incomplete. I still need to detect when a seed has been "completed" (i.e. because there are no more dominoes in the draw pile or all scoring points have been covered), and I'd like to track high scores per seed. If I can't get that working online, I can at least manage local storage before the competition ends.

I also need to let you draw a new hand of dominoes if you don't have any moves, and I'd like to implement hot seat play... but I'm not sure how that would work since you'd be able to see each other's dominoes. :-/

My high score on seed 1000 is 42. Who can beat it? 8)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:58:58 PM by Ryan »

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »
Aww, crap. Looking at my screenshot, I see I could've scored 43 if I'd played that 5:6 last instead of the 5:5. :P

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2014, 03:51:38 AM »
Ryan, your game's brilliant! It's like dominoes + scrabble! :) You should trademark/patent it fast!

My score was 23 but that was my first go, i will probably playing it a lot more!

Will you be including things like double point squares?

For hot seat (2 player?), could you just give each player one domino at a time?

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, ssjx! I actually work next to a guy in a coworking space who designs toys for a living, and he's already offered to help me make a physical version of the game a reality. He has an active Kickstarter I've backed here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gearedforimagination/brikbilt-toy-buildings-imaginative-kids-play-in-an

And he used to work for one of the game companies - can't recall which one. The competition here was great for sparking the idea and for iterating on the rules (it's quite different at this point than my first complicated idea).

I hadn't considered mimicking Scrabble to begin with, but your question did give me the idea that perhaps double number tiles can be scored double (e.g. scoring a 5:5 would be worth 10 points). That would be easy enough to implement and to play toward I think.

Good idea on hot seat. The challenge would be ensuring an equal number of playable dominoes between the players. I thought about them just sharing a single hand, but my gut tells me it would be too easy to ensure the other player would never score unless it was off new tiles. It may require some alternate rule set where scoring is based on blocking the other player or where there is a higher density of scoring points.

Or it may just require a multiplayer online / mobile version. I'll be playing with mean.io to prototype a multiplayer version after this competition is over. I should be able to make the same web application serve both browser based or native mobile clients. Any other ideas? Any experience with native mobile app dev? :D

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »
Only if cursing at the Android SDK and its terrible emulator counts! :) Go with html5/js!

Played again got, 31! A few easy things you could add:

* Key to take a screenshot? Tidier than print screen!
* Undo last move (stupidly put zero next to a yellow square... )
* Dominoes remaining counter.

Your game is distracting me from fixing bugs in mine...

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
I was thinking I'll "stack" the draw pile on the right side of the screen so you can see it dwindling as you play, and adding a screenshot key should be easy enough. I hadn't thought of undo yet, though - one move undo shouldn't hurt. :D

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2014, 09:06:53 AM »
Another update (v0.3) : http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/numeria.php

Mostly cleanup, bug fixes and presentation! Pretty much complete, I don't imagine any major changes between now and the deadline...

Thanks for looking!

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2014, 04:33:58 AM »
Random drive by screenshot.
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2014, 06:43:13 AM »
Another update (v0.3) : http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/numeria.php

Mostly cleanup, bug fixes and presentation! Pretty much complete, I don't imagine any major changes between now and the deadline...

Very well done, ssjx. Small bit of control feedback - I played via mouse at first but quickly switched to keyboard. However, I found that I can't attack with the keyboard. If I could use the arrow keys for that and then perhaps Y / N to answer the "Attack again?" prompt, I could go completely keyboard. Any chance?  :)

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! Will see what i can do! :) A lot of the menus would probably work better with keyboard as an option too...