10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Pixel editor  (Read 4807 times)

Jonge

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • codeheim.NET
Pixel editor
« on: June 13, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
Hi
Its a bit quiet here lately, so I want to share what I've been working on lately(even though progress is slow)

I'm making my own pixel editor. Why? I don't really have a good answer ;D I haven't found an editor that I really like, and I know how to make one myself, so I decided to give it a shot.

This will be(if it ever gets done) a simple pixel editor with just simple tools used for making pixeled graphics. Some features(and limitations):
- Only PNG 32bit image format
- Just simple tools like pen, paint bucket and select tool. No fancy photo editing tools.
- A small tile preview map(maybe 10x10) which updates while you draw so you can see how your tiles work.
- Sprite preview with animation
- Different "desktops/workspaces" where you can collect graphics for different projects in different "desktops". Last desktop will be automatically loaded when you start the editor, and also automatically saved while you work. All images in a desktop will be saved in its own folder so you don't overwrite images that you decide to add to the desktop.
- Im also going to try to make it easy to work with tile/sprite sheets.

I'm making this with FB and FireFly(Visual Win32 editor).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:31:48 AM by Jonge »
codeheim.NET - Homemade game madness!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: Pixel editor
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »
I was always looking for a substitute for PP256 in 24bit color depth world. Looking forward to this...

On a different note, what's the status with your entry for the seasons of the year competition. Canceled?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Jonge

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • codeheim.NET
Re: Pixel editor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »
Thanks, I haven't given up on my seasons entry. While working on the compo entry, I discovered some limitations to my drawing code and this led me to working on a tool to create height and depth images(that I use to draw sprites infront/behind or makeing simple shadows) I might post a thread for my comp game and show a simple demo of what I have now.

Heres a screen shot that shows the three different buffers my drawing functions use:http://codeheim.net/gfx/screenshots/mayhem1.png

If your interested in a drawing tool a bit like pp256 check out Moai: go to http://www.gamedevelopersrefuge.org/ and search for Moai
codeheim.NET - Homemade game madness!