10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Ultrabreaker now on GitHub  (Read 7257 times)

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
Ultrabreaker now on GitHub
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »
Development on Ultrabreaker, my largest-ever game / FB project stopped around 2009.
I was overly ambitious, so I never released it even though it was practically complete.

Old forum thread:
http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=219.0

Anyway, I put it on GitHub:
https://github.com/KristopherWindsor/ultrabreaker

My next steps are:
- remove all integration with ultrabreaker.com because it's too much work to support
- fork a version of ultrabreaker for arcade cabinet use (mostly menu changes)

If anyone happens to clone and successfully compile the game, it'd be nice to know. :D

BTW, I will submit this to the FBGD soon.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:24:19 AM by KristopherWindsor »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: Ultrabreaker now on GitHub
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:28 AM »
Don't have access to FB for few days.

Tell us more about this arcade cabinets project of yours.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
Surrrreeee...

Some of my friends (mostly faculty actually) from the SJSU Game Development Club (my university btw) have built some cabinets to run games. And they show these games around at galleries / exhibits. The cabinets run Windows on normal PCs, so FreeBASIC stuff runs fine.
Pics: http://gamingcoop.wordpress.com/

I've worked with them to get the software running on the cabinets, and I might get my own cabinet in the future. The arcade sticks map to normal keyboard keys, so my ultrabreakerarcade project is mostly about redoing the menus / highscores / levels / controls to make the game better for arcade use.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:51:57 AM »
That sounds like a fun project. Glad they've chose Windows platform.

EDIT:

That plays really nice, Kris. Reached level 3. Don't remember playing this game in this form. Forgot how and if I tracked its dev back in the day. Anyway, I always liked your games and always thought you had a knack for making gameplay fun, but also in most cases disliked your sloppy approach to graphics. You could really use a better ball, paddle and brick sprites in Ultrabreaker, for example. And menus are a bit...weird.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:05:17 AM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 02:57:30 AM »
Thanks for playing... but you will have to play through the 70 levels to see most of the features haha.

I won't argue about the menus (in retrospect), but I did iterate over the graphics a couple times and am rather happy with them.
They are all .png files, so you're free to skin it (and fork me on GitHub). :)