10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: FBGD Seasons of the Year Competition (Nov 2012 March 2013), 350 $ 1st prize  (Read 98709 times)

Jonge

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • codeheim.NET
A bit slow progress for me, I'm closing in on a simple walk around tile engine. No screenshots yet though.

ssjx: Looks like your making some good progress.
codeheim.NET - Homemade game madness!

landeel

• Forum Howler
  • http://cmcgames.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
I have a partially working engine and some graphics...

Another action / platformer game from me, but with completely different gameplay style.

Also, it will be easier, and way more colorful.  :P

gothon

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
I haven't done much besides play around a little with a simple random plant generator I made.  I am actually working on adding Text support to my voxel library so that I can use it in this game and other programs.

I'm planning on making it into a point/click interface economy game.  With luck I will be able to make something playable after the holiday.

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
First screenshot. Mostly because I wanted to post something.

http://badmrbox.com/wordpress/?p=187

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Thanks for sharing. This is looking really cool. I think you improved your pixel art skills.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Jonge

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • codeheim.NET
Wanted to add a screenshot myself(though it doesn't show much):

I have just finished a boring bug hunt in some old code I'm using to draw the sprites. It all turned down to a underscore I had added to fix a bug in FBedit.. FBedit thinks a SUB inside ASM code is a new Subroutine, so a while back I had this great idea that adding a "_" before the SUB to make the code look right in FBedit. This didn't give a compiler error, so I thought this was a great fix until now. Turns out the lines beginning with a underscore never gets compiled/executed..  ::)

BadMrBox: Looking good  :) I'm missing all the QB RPGs that people used to be worked on.

Edit:
BadMrBox: What did you use to make the video on your blog? Looks good and smooth :-) Maybe abit hard to know where the character is when under the trees.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:21:30 AM by Jonge »
codeheim.NET - Homemade game madness!

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com

Thanks for sharing. This is looking really cool. I think you improved your pixel art skills.
I dunno if I have. Maybe. I'm not limiting myself to the NES palette this time.

BadMrBox: What did you use to make the video on your blog? Looks good and smooth :-) Maybe abit hard to know where the character is when under the trees.
I used Hypercam 2 (free and way better than fraps imo) and moviemaker.

Eponasoft

• Novice
  • I Am... Kaiaphas.
    • View Profile
    • Eponasoft
My entry is underway as well. The concept, however, will remain secret until it is finished.

relsoft

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
Man, I'm missing on all the fun!!! I'll try to finish the Platforming tute and try to participate myself. ;*)

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
If needed, prioritize writing an entry for the competition over writing a tutorial.  I'm sure Lachie would agree that an article can wait and that this competition is our main event.

... Not saying the next issue couldn't use a tutorial, but we can always use more games.

relsoft

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
If needed, prioritize writing an entry for the competition over writing a tutorial.  I'm sure Lachie would agree that an article can wait and that this competition is our main event.

... Not saying the next issue couldn't use a tutorial, but we can always use more games.

I've already sent lachie the chapter for collision detection and that would prolly suffice for the next issue.  Will start prototyping my engine.  I had an idea about time warping but ssjx seems to have the same idea.  I'll try to get another one. Prolly mario + megaman + seasons + timewarping.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Yeah, your tutorials are really awesome and one per issue is already enough to fill in the quota. Well, I do hope to get something else in the meantime for other people, but not mandatory. BASIC Gaming can be postponed for various reasons. The competition is one time per year for a limited amount of time. So yeah, anyone interested who thinks he can do it should prioritize this competition...on his "what do to in my free time" list, for these two months.

Nice to hear Landeel, BadMrBox, Mitchell, Jonge, Dave (Eponasoft) and ssjx are deep into it. Hoping to see a playable game from all of them.

Keep it up!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:31:43 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Hi,
A very early demo of my entry can be found here:

http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/fbgd.php

The readme.txt contains instructions, controls and the solution. Source is included!

The todo list includes:

* Presentation (titles etc..)
* Slippery platforms  in winter and other obstacles
* More Levels - Aiming for 10 levels + a level creator (creating puzzles is tricky and I am sure others can create better levels than me!)
* Some tutorial levels - The idea seems a bit complex so some easy levels should help with that.
* Improved graphics - The player being the obvious target  
* Sound, i guess may as well try and get at least 1 point in that category! :)
* Maybe a vague story to explain the 'why?' of all this...

... and many other things!

Feedback is most welcome, but please remember this is more 'proof of idea' than finished game!

Relsoft, is this anything like your timewarping idea?

Edit 23/12/12 : Updated the download, more levels and other changes.

Edit: Spelling...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:54:06 PM by ssjx »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
I really like your concept ssjx. You did it more dynamic than I expected. Very cool.

I do think you should add some sort of transition between switching seasons, even some fast fade in/out, because this sort of instant season change diminishes some of the effect. Connect this switching to using some magic spell or scientific device (maybe being able to switch seasons only on some panels inside the level). Also, maybe limit the times you can change the seasons, depending on the level.

Finally, try to think of more combinations, like switching from winter to summer to accomplish something different with certain objects.

Overall, looking really interesting at this point. Hope you can drive it into right direction.

One suggestion, I think seeds should die/fail if you, for example, switch from spring to autumn directly.

BTW, if anyone is looking for royalty free music for his game, I stumbled upon this cool site (over 12 hours of music):  http://www.nosoapradio.us
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:33:32 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »

gothon

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
Thank you Lachie.  Also for sound effects, you can quickly and easily generate some of your own using this free tool I found:
http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html