10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: FBGD Seasons of the Year Competition (Nov 2012 – March 2013), 350 $ 1st prize  (Read 148014 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
FBGD SEASONS OF THE YEAR COMPETITION

Another year has passed and FBGD is ready to sponsor another FreeBASIC game making competition.

This year's theme is - SEASONS OF THE YEAR!

In depth:

The objective in this competition is to create a game that features seasons of the year, either symbolically (like a logical game not placed in some reality) or literally, connected or not with the gameplay. Higher points going for a game where characteristics/nature of seasons of the year are interwoven with the gameplay, least points going to games where seasons are only the backdrop. To avoid geographical discrimination, wet/dry seasons are allowed (tropical climate), but try not to abuse this exemption to ignore the premise of the competition (like placing a game in an imaginary setting with completely unnatural seasons of the year).

Allow me to emphasize some of the thoughts I had when choosing this idea (suggested by Pritchard):

Life cycles...transformation, nature, survival.
Passage of time...birth, death, change.

Competition rules:

* the entry must feature, contain and/or deal with seasons of the year, either simbolically or literally, connected or not with the gameplay; tropical seasons allowed (wet/dry period)
* source code must be provided with the entry
* all libraries wrapped for FreeBASIC are allowed
* the competition entries must be submitted via email or in this thread before the 4th of March, 2013, 18:00 GMT
* the winner will receive 350 $ cash prize paid via PayPal or in goods payable with PayPal; the 2nd place holder will receive a 100 $ cash prize, while the 3rd place holder will receive a 50 $ cash prize
* all entries will be evaluated solely by me (Lachie Dazdarian), while one category will be based on community votes
* teams are allowed
* non-original work MUST be credited (music, graphics, story, ...)

Scoring details (as in the last competition):

Game design (35 points max): The emphasis in this category will be on how much the theme is conceptualized in the game mechanics, how cleverly and in what depth connected and expressed through the gameplay/design

Gameplay (15 points max): In this category I will evaluate how much the game is fun and challenging to play.

Progression (6 Points max): In this category I will evaluate the progression in the game (is it present and how much it enhances the play experience). This will be used to award the entries that feature more depth in comparison to those that don't feature it.

Replay Value (6 Points max)

Graphics (7 points max)

Sound/music (7 points max)

Personal likeness (from 4 to 6 points max)

Community vote (up to 10 points): Depends on the number of entries. I'll try to separate the entries with at least 2 points, depending on their final placement in community vote.

Thanks to Alexander Pritchard for the theme idea. I think it's another stimulating one, distinctive enough, but also allowing a lot of freedom and genre/gameplay variety.

Eager to see what you will be coming up with.

Good luck, and thank you for participating in advance.

P.S.

Donations in the way of increasing the prizes are more than welcome. Use the donation button on the main FBGD page (PayPal).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:50:53 AM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
+$100 prize money from me, to be split between 1st and 2nd place at judge's discretion. Lachie knows how to find me if I forget. :P

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm almost tempted to submit an entry just to make Lachie cry :P.
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
The last place winner owes me money. :P

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nice try, but you're not getting anything from me  >:(
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
Hm, interesting :)

Jonge

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • codeheim.NET
Interesting "Theme". I'm hoping to participate in the competition :) I'm also in the process of a $50 donation to FBGD(when my PayPal account is finished)
codeheim.NET - Homemade game madness!

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Nice idea for the theme! Time to get thinking!

I am sure where i am we only get one, maybe two, seasons each year though... :)

Lachie, any preference for where game updates should be put? I usually just update this thread, but don't know if you would prefer i create a new topic instead? Thanks!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
This thread is perfect for all your WIP info.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

N3trunn3r

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hi guys! ^^ I hope I find some time to write something nice ;)

SMC

• Recruit
  • 9999HP
    • View Profile
I still like my idea about nukes.   :P  Still the seasons idea is intriguing.  Maybe I'll try something simple just for fun. 

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think you could make a game about seasons and nukes.

... Just sayin.

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
I still don't know if I'll join the competition, but I am playing around with making a procedural biome generator. I might use it for a game, if it works out.

[ETA] Spoke too soon, I managed to get the terrain generator up and working today. Looks like I'm making a game then
Here's a snapshot of an island it made:
Rainforest is green, woods and plains are green/yellow, evergreen is yellow and white, tundra is white, and black are beaches.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:59:29 AM by Mitchell »

Eponasoft

• Novice
  • I Am... Kaiaphas.
    • View Profile
    • Eponasoft
I will be competing this time around as well. I may donate to this as well, if funds allow... sales have been good lately so it's likely.

landeel

• Forum Howler
  • http://cmcgames.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
I have a great idea, but I'm not sure I will have enough time to make it. I'll try my best.