10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Reinkarnoid v1.0 released :)  (Read 12976 times)

mysoft

• Recruit
    • MSN Messenger - mysoft@bol.com.br
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
Reinkarnoid v1.0 released :)
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:53:04 AM »
ok, i've been working on this project for some time, and now it's done...
for Windows / Linux / Nintendo DS

Windows: http://jafile.com/uploads/mysoft/reinkarnoidwin32.rar
Nintendo DS: http://jafile.com/uploads/mysoft/reinkarnoidds.rar
Source: http://jafile.com/uploads/mysoft/reinkarnoidsrc.rar
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:56:27 AM by mysoft »
Programming is like love... you will never acomplish anything by treating your language as if it was a tool, or a slave of yours...

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: Reinkarnoid v1.0 released :)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
Yay! Thanks for this effort. Don't have time to check it out today, but when I get home I'll give it a proper play-through.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

nkk_kan

• Forum Howler
  • Let's rocK~!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nkk_kan
    • View Profile
    • nkk's code cache
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
Overall a pretty solid and polished game (Except for the fact that you didn't compile with -s gui :P :P)
But i love the gameplay! It's still as tough as the original one..

Totally worth downloading for nostalgic factor and a solid remake :)

Oh and i'll just leave this here..

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:18:42 PM by nkk_kan »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
Love the presentation and the gameplay. Excellent work. Cool password-based save feature. Must find time to play this more seriously and try to finish it. Only reached level 3 so far. Might even review it for BASIC Gamer issue #4.

BTW, is the story narration by you? I mean, original?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

mysoft

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:09:15 PM »
BTW, is the story narration by you? I mean, original?

if you refer to the voice yes.... i made it be a computer generated voice, and no original game had voice....
the text is the original text...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:13:24 PM by mysoft »
Programming is like love... you will never acomplish anything by treating your language as if it was a tool, or a slave of yours...

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
Uh, reached level 14. Passwords definitely save the game.

I don't know, I found several levels quite annoying, especially those with indestructible blocks. Not sure why you force designs that utilize them so much. Level 3 is definitely tedious, and for the worst, no passwords till level 8.

The game has some problems with collision, that's for sure. More than once my ball was locked in a line of indestructible blocks. Also, I can often bounce the ball back into the play playfield with the bottom of my ship. Also, In level 8, if I get the lasers, it's quite difficult to get the tiny laser beam between the two yellow blocks, while this shouldn't be so, as the gap is one block big, huge for the width of the laser beam. Nevertheless, my laser beam keeps colliding with the yellow blocks instead of getting between them. Anyway, not sure if you are interested into fixing these bugs.

So far the game is fun to play, but without the passwords not sure how long it would hold my interested. Too many "evil" levels for a no-passwords gameplay to be fun. Thanks for implementing them.

BTW, how many levels did you say the game has?

Will try to finish this later.

mysoft

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »
Uh, reached level 14. Passwords definitely save the game.

I don't know, I found several levels quite annoying, especially those with indestructible blocks. Not sure why you force designs that utilize them so much. Level 3 is definitely tedious, and for the worst, no passwords till level 8.

The game has some problems with collision, that's for sure. More than once my ball was locked in a line of indestructible blocks. Also, I can often bounce the ball back into the play playfield with the bottom of my ship. Also, In level 8, if I get the lasers, it's quite difficult to get the tiny laser beam between the two yellow blocks, while this shouldn't be so, as the gap is one block big, huge for the width of the laser beam. Nevertheless, my laser beam keeps colliding with the yellow blocks instead of getting between them. Anyway, not sure if you are interested into fixing these bugs.

So far the game is fun to play, but without the passwords not sure how long it would hold my interested. Too many "evil" levels for a no-passwords gameplay to be fun. Thanks for implementing them.

BTW, how many levels did you say the game has?

Will try to finish this later.

ok, just to clarify none of these are bugs :)
the indestructible "bricks", are actually magnetic/light "bricks", so the ball can pass between them (in that 1 pixel gap), because they aren't really solid blocks, also if they are hit in one of the very corners, it will hold the ball for a while, but never forever.... but indeed a change in later game, made it be a bit more surreal, but i didnt bothered to fix it, since specially that way, experienced players, can use that for their advantage, and it's r0x when you learn how to use it :P

also the game have 33 levels, and the level 3 is very easy, it's there to make you learn how to aim to touch the ball on the corners making it goes almost horizontal, and with that is possible, to clear that whole level in a single pass :P

also about the laser, it was like that on all of the original games, so decided to not split the beams.... and so aiming it on the center on level 6, is part of playability ;p

also i was thinking into make the password start on level 2... instead of level 3, but since level 2 is way too soon, and level 3 is the first "tricky" level, then i had no choice but leave it that way, i could make it start on level 4, but i wouldnt reduce the password frequency, it's too easy the way it is, specially now, that i can clear the whole game on hard... and always o.o

but i can add some of these things as "options" if i upgrade it.... specially since i forgot to add the respawn feature, that i had planned :P

also about the passwords, just to point out, they only retain 50% of your actual score.... that is to discourage people of abusing of passwords ;p, and someone that clears the game in a single pass, will get a much better score :)

also question.... should i make a video of the "Nintendo DS" version working, and post here?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:38:30 PM by mysoft »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 05:46:03 AM »
Not sure I like the explanation. When the ball gets stuck in those yellow bricks, it looks glitchy and ugly. Also, I one occasion the balls, on level 3, was left bouncing in an infinite loop  in one corner of that level.

Share any videos you like. I'm interested.

BTW, is that you on the avatar? You look normal.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »
Reached level 21. Hrm...another...interesting level design.

On few occasions my ball was stuck in a single yellow block this time, from 30 seconds up to a minute.

Not sure why you insist on this feature. It really makes game look buggy and glithy.