10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Two Lords - ALMOST FINISHED  (Read 54804 times)

Eponasoft

Re: Two Lords - ALMOST FINISHED
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 09:46:39 PM »
Just a quick update:

Beta testing has been going extremely smoothly, and several new features suggested by the beta testers will be implemented into the game, making it better than ever. The high resolution mode is almost finished, just a few more quirks to work out and it's all good.

Eponasoft

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 12:36:02 AM »
Another quick update...

Good news for people who can't play the game fullscreen...I'm working on an alternate control scheme that is keyboard-only, so the game would run just fine windowed. Also, mouse control is being expanded; the mouse wheel can select subitems, and pressing the mouse wheel will use them. It's a bit buggy at the moment but it's getting there. Finally, the cutscenes have been enhanced; the larger, more detailed pictures are shown instead of scaled-up 320x240 pics, so cutscenes in hi-res mode look much better. Of course, the images are now scaled down in 320x240 mode, but that's okay because they look just the same as they did before.

mysoft

• Recruit
    • MSN Messenger - mysoft@bol.com.br
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »
no mouse for windowed mode? why? o.o you can always use a "GRAB/RELEASE" shortcut
Programming is like love... you will never acomplish anything by treating your language as if it was a tool, or a slave of yours...

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »
You can use mouse in windowed mode, but if the mouse goes out of the window it won't work, so you can't turn and it's very hard to do anything really.  Normally windowed mode wouldn't work at all because of that, so I'm glad he's even offering.  Non-windowed mode of course works just fine either way.
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

mysoft

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2008, 10:23:12 PM »
hum... isnt like that anyway, freebasic now have a "mouse clip" function, that it will block the mouse goes out from window, and then you need a toogle to let users do another things... (i know it was using a old version but anyway is just a sugestion... since fullscreen isnt a good thing anymore xD)
Programming is like love... you will never acomplish anything by treating your language as if it was a tool, or a slave of yours...

Eponasoft

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »
Fullscreen is now and will always be the best for gaming. However, I'm not sure if the mouse clipping will simply stop the mouse from leaving the window, or if it will completely stop the mouse. If it completely stops the mouse, movement is going to be limited, and that doesn't work. But if it still allows the game to function as normal, then that'd be good...in that case, implementing a toggle function would work okay I guess, but it's obviously not the most desirable option.

Implementing such a hacky mouse method might end up being more work than it's worth. But I'll keep it in mind.

Dr_D

• Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dr_davenstein
    • View Profile
    • Dr_D's apps
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 02:44:42 AM »
I'm sorry to butt in, but fullscreen isn't a good thing anymore? No offense intended, but that's nonsense. It's not good to use libraries and it's not good to use fullscreen? Oh, come now! lol

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 09:16:30 AM »
I totally agree with Dr_D.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008, 05:50:08 PM »
I Vector X 2006 I had both mouse and keyboard controls. Mouse controls didn't work properly in windowed mode. I simply choose not to care about the users that insisted on playing with both mouse and in Windowed mode. I never got any complaints on that so…perhaps it’s advisable to ignore certain requests if you want to get the more important things done.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »
I dont think a sane person plays a FPS in a windowed mode. I hadn't a choice before Nod fixed the scale2x function but really... you dont play windowed period.

mysoft

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2008, 10:35:21 PM »
despite of the fact that 4:3 fullscreen windowed doesnt look good in a widescreen LCD, i only play games in fullscreen that allow the same resolution/bpp im using (1024x768x32 or 16bpp), otherwise it causes windows to go crazy ;P and such... but not that fullscreen is bad thing, but FORCING fullscreen is...

also what method you are using to get mouse movement in fullscreen?

Eponasoft

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2008, 11:11:39 PM »
Hrm, I have a widescreen LCD monitor and it looks awesome in fullscreen. :D I think the difference is that Two Lords is rather low resolution (320x240 or 640x480), so you don't really see any pixel antialiasing.

The mouse method I use is simply FB's own getmouse function.

mysoft

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2008, 02:30:34 AM »
i see... well since you are using fbgfx getmouse function clipping the mouse onto window will be the same as you have in fullscreen o.o (the only difference is that you need something to "lock/unlock" mouse) anyway, im nothing wanting it, um just suggesting it =D

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
Well I agree it's much better to play fullscreen, but it would help me at least to be able to play in windowed mode.  I wasn't going to press the issue, but if you're willing to add it I certainly won't mind :)
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

Eponasoft

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2008, 04:29:11 AM »
I would have to disable the mouse in windowed mode, I think. That way, someone could easily switch windows without having to use a specific keystroke to release the mouse (this would really help you out, notthecheatr).