10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Two Lords - ALMOST FINISHED  (Read 39249 times)

nkk_kan

• Forum Howler
  • Let's rocK~!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nkk_kan
    • View Profile
    • nkk's code cache
    • Email
Re: Two Lords - ALMOST FINISHED
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2008, 07:11:10 AM »
err...why does the ground appear so pixelated?
i mean compared to the smooth and cool hand,heart and status bar..it looks pixelated..
no offense..i asked just out of curiosity..i've seen many games which does this..is it some randomizing tehcnique you use to "fill" the floor?

Eponasoft

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2008, 07:55:34 AM »
Well, that floor was supposed to look like grass. ;D It doesn't always work out so hot though. Without shading, texturing is a lot harder to pull off, so I'm experimenting with textures until I find just the right one. That floor isn't randomly generated, it's this texture:

Plus, the floor is raycasted, unlike the hand, heart, and status bar which are mere blits.

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2008, 10:23:04 AM »
@nkk_kan:  that's actually the way raycasted games normally look.  Raycasting is an outdated technique used to make pseudo-3d games.  The graphics are not the best, but it's probably easier than regular 3d and it gives everything a nice old-school feeling to it.  But yeah, the raycasting texturing method does tend to look pixellated.  If you get up close to the walls they will look pixellated too.  Everything else is blitted though, which is why it's not pixellated.
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2008, 03:42:33 PM »
Thanks for this.

BTW, did you think about putting more textures in the floor?  Like grass textures slightly darker and see how it would look like.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Eponasoft

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2008, 05:20:33 PM »
There are a few variations of the grass texture, mainly adding little plants and whatnot to the texture.  Also, the grass isn't the only texture for the floor...the original textures are still there, I've just added grass here and there to areas where it would actually make sense. I've also been adding a lot of environmental objects (as seen in the screenshot). I'll try some darker variations to see what kind of effect it brings, but I'm sort of worried about checkerboarding in that case...well, won't know till it's tried.

nkk_kan

• Forum Howler
  • Let's rocK~!
    • View Profile
    • nkk's code cache
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2008, 06:06:16 AM »
yeah i thought it was ray tracing...
but wouldn't it be better if you use tiles?...
but probably this way is easier :P
anyways the less graphic intense the program the better for me  ;D (i still have to get a decent graphic card :P)

Eponasoft

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2008, 01:16:31 PM »
It's not raytraced, it's raycasted. It's not terribly graphic-intense, more CPU-intense really, that's why it needs a decent CPU to run (at least a 700MHz). The video card should be decent as well though...it doesn't require tons of VRAM, and it doesn't even require the usage of a 3D coprocessor, but it does need a video card with a nice fast bus, like a 4x AGP or a PCI Express, since it needs fast data throughput. It will run on a slow video card but not at 60fps. There's a frame cut option which allows the game to run at 30fps for the slower cards, but it's completely untested since this game has never needed to run so slowly.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2008, 05:09:28 PM »
I think you worry too much about the checkerboarding effect. Anyway, I would mind it less than a completely bland ground or floor.

Anyway, did you think about making transition textures, like some that start light at the bottom and get slightly darker toward up. And then north from the row of these textures you would put darker ones. So in some area, toward the wall, you would have a slow passing toward a darker patch of grass.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Eponasoft

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2008, 04:30:25 AM »
Yeah, I've thought about transitional textures. Then I remembered the 16 texture limitation for floors and ceilings. Too many transitions would eat up this limitation pretty fast.

But then I thought "hey, you know what? It's high time I removed that limitation". So what I'm going to do is write a converter that separates the floor and ceiling data, since right now, the data is kept together in a byte (since this is how it was done in RTe), high nybble and low nybble. If I split them, floors and ceilings would be allowed the full 128 texture range that is currently afforded only to walls.

I also thought "it's also about time I updated my map editor to use the actual game textures rather than a texture sheet made separately". So, I'm going to do that too.

Here goes. :D

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2008, 11:38:08 AM »
Sweet, more textures will make a huge improvement in the game I'm sure.
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

Eponasoft

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2008, 10:06:03 PM »
I got the map editor updated and all of the maps converted, but unfortunately ran out of time to keep working on it today since my wife is pretty sick and my daughter took over my computer for the day. I'll be back to work on it this weekend.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2008, 03:52:14 PM »
You keep disappointing me over and over.

:P

Just messing with you.

Don't worry. You are doing great working listening to your users.

Eponasoft

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »
This project has been terminated. All relevant source will be released shortly.

nkk_kan

• Forum Howler
  • Let's rocK~!
    • View Profile
    • nkk's code cache
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2008, 02:59:51 AM »
TERMINATED?!?! wtf?

you mean finished or discontinued?

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »
Damn man... after all the work you have put into this...

I need too speak with you.