10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Two Lords - ALMOST FINISHED  (Read 35707 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: Two Lords - ALMOST FINISHED
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »
I tested Lithium's raycasting engine (which I lost for some reason) when about it was released, and it worked quite smooth and fast on my PC. If the game is 320*240 or something like that, I should be fine.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Eponasoft

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »
Okay, it should be all good then. Yeah, it's 320x240, as this is more readily supported at 32bpp than 320x200, which sometimes doesn't even get 8bpp support anymore.

SSC

• Recruit
  • R[a]wr
    • MSN Messenger - smithcosoft@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smithcosoft
    • View Profile
    • SmithcoSoft Creations
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 01:52:53 AM »
I'll have internet until monday the 21st (and then I'll be gone for about a week prolly), and yeah I have cable 40mb will take less than a minute with a decent host ^^

As for the name SSC is fine

Eponasoft

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 05:32:12 AM »
Okay, excellent, that gives plenty of time. I'll be out of town all day today and half of tomorrow, but then I can get down to business and get this thing packaged up for distribution.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »
I also recommend implementing a Scale2X (and Resize2X) option with the final version as many can't run 320*240 games full screen today. That's what I plan to do with all my future games in 320*240 res. Check the Programming section for Scale2X.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Eponasoft

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »
I already thought of that, but I'm not sure if it can be done due to how Lith's render code works. Instead of drawing the screen using X/Y coordinates, the raycaster plots absolute location values in VRAM, so when I increase the resolution to 640x480, what I get is a 640x100 render rather than a 320x200 render in the top left corner.

mysoft

• Recruit
    • MSN Messenger - mysoft@bol.com.br
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 06:11:44 PM »
I already thought of that, but I'm not sure if it can be done due to how Lith's render code works. Instead of drawing the screen using X/Y coordinates, the raycaster plots absolute location values in VRAM, so when I increase the resolution to 640x480, what I get is a 640x100 render rather than a 320x200 render in the top left corner.

well... use a 640x400 screen... the game will think that the "screen" is 320x200... and it will end in 640x100
in other hand... the scale2x will not use point... it will read the way the raycaster wrote... so it will think that the screen have 320x200 put result will fit into the 640x400 anyway =), so no problem involved (i have similar method in my Xatax Clone) ;P

but well i think that you are using PUT to displaye the game status (lifes, and other sprites)... anyway, it can be easy drawing in a buffer then... (that should be easy considering that you are using fbgfx)... ^^" (in the worst case it doesnt hurt to add a "pitch" after every scanline), anyway you may know all that =)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:16:47 PM by mysoft »
Programming is like love... you will never acomplish anything by treating your language as if it was a tool, or a slave of yours...

Josiah Tobin

• Recruit
    • MSN Messenger - josiah_tobin@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 02:40:40 AM »
[snip]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:44:44 PM by Josiah Tobin »

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 04:22:34 AM »
Eponasoft, I only just figured out who you are when I saw this topic. Took me that long. :P
Haha, I figured it out a couple of months ago ;D.

@Eponasoft
Use the Scale2x that's already in the engine. As far as I know it's only one thing that is misspelled, preventing it from working as it should.

Eponasoft

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 06:15:36 AM »
I'm not using that build of the engine, I couldn't figure out how to make it work (it just black-screened on me) and now I can't even find it anymore. :( Anyone know where to get it? I would be already using it if I could get it to work. :D

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 08:21:12 AM »
Didn't all version's have a scale2x function? My memory might be failing me. You can find the latest engine at Lithium's new homepage http://lithium.vectec.net/ . I did download the engine and did intend to fix the scale2x bug for MT but well, I kinda lost my coding motivation for awhile.

Eponasoft

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »
No, only his most recent one has the scale function. It seems this one runs on my system but I have no idea how to fix his spelling error. :) I'll look through it when I get the chance.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »
Spelling error in Scale2x? What are you talking about?

Anyway, wasn't aware of the way the raycasting engine drew stuff. Not familiar with that. I'm surprised it can't be forced to "think" a certain lower resolution is initiated, while it really isn't.

Yeah, I can't really program. :P

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »
Lithium scale2x function is suffering from a wrongfully spelling. I shall look upon this ASAP and see if I can correct it.

Eponasoft

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »
Okay, since SSC is leaving very soon, I'm going to get the build together now. It's not quite beta quality, but it's working anyways. It'll take some time. I'll give y'all the relevant info when it's ready.