10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Poll

Which entry in the competition do you consider the best?

Adventure for Breakfast!
4 (30.8%)
Bad Cave Guy
1 (7.7%)
Chack
0 (0%)
Face Invaders 2020
1 (7.7%)
Plix TowerDefense
3 (23.1%)
Witchcraft Adventure
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: January 24, 2011, 06:11:27 PM

Author Topic: Gameplay Combo Competition Community Poll (CLOSED!)  (Read 45434 times)

FotonCat

• Amoeba
    • ICQ Messenger - 190720134
    • View Profile
    • FotonCat Soft
    • Email
Re: Gameplay Combo Competition Community Poll
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »
"Witchcraft Adventure" gives an error on my Win 7. Can't test it.
"Bad cave guy" after few attempts make me bored.
"Face Invaders" is too easy.
"Chack" needs an executable :) I wouldn't spend time to compile it.

"Adventure for Breakfast!" and "Plix TowerDefence" are an interesting games, I like it both.
FotonCat Soft

N3trunn3r

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 11:54:07 AM »

What error exactly? (They really messed Windows up after XP... :'( )

Lithium

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »

I had the same problem, but there are two exes. (One of them ends with win or something), the other one will work.

FotonCat

• Amoeba
    • ICQ Messenger - 190720134
    • View Profile
    • FotonCat Soft
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »

What error exactly? (They really messed Windows up after XP... :'( )

I've got error on both EXEs, Windows just says "Program is terminated. Windows is searching solutions of this error..." and closes the program. I will test your game under XP, I have it.
FotonCat Soft

N3trunn3r

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »
Otherwise try running it as Administrator on Win 7, I think this is why.

Witchcraft.exe is fullscreen and Witchcraft Win.exe is windowed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:33:01 PM by N3trunn3r »

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 12:43:42 PM »
@Conexion-
Thanks for the long review. Thanks for the title graphic too. I like it better too, but limitations in my image editor won't let me make something like that. I have to use the full 24-bit pallet in every image, and I can't have antialiased text.

@FotonCat-
It's easy for a reason. I like games I would play, easy ones. However, I agree with Conexion in that maybe I could have added a little more variety.

@N3trunn3r-
Aha! I knew there was a weakness! People can't run it! At least mine runs!

@Mitchell-
I really like your game. It's a shame noone voted for it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:46:36 PM by Brick Break »

Conexion

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 01:50:55 PM »
@Conexion

"Hitting 'enter' next to the red portal (thing at the bottom of the screen?) didn't do anything."

I sure hoped you noticed the difference between Vanilla and Advanced game mode! If you were playing Advanced, I really can't think of any reason your shooter didn't appear at the other screen, seeing as all other controls worked fine for you. Anyway, thanks for the rating and I'm glad you enjoyed the game:)

-Tusike

My bad, I played vanilla mostly and then when I went into advanced, and didn't try that again xD I really do enjoy the game though!

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »
"Chack" needs an executable :) I wouldn't spend time to compile it.

Sorry, I run Linux, so I wasn't working on Windows binaries. I have a wine binary produced (it *should* run on windows), but I made it after the competition closed, so it's not a valid copy. Although all you have to do is compile ./chack.bas in the ./source folder and move the binary up a directory (so the program can see the ./resource directory).

BTW, for those that want the windows version now, here it is: http://jafile.com/uploads/mitchell/chack3unofficial.zip.
Note: This is the unofficial version, since the older submitted version is what should be voted on. This is just for the convenience of not having to compile the binary for windows.
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »
@Conexion-
Thanks for the long review. Thanks for the title graphic too. I like it better too, but limitations in my image editor won't let me make something like that. I have to use the full 24-bit pallet in every image, and I can't have antialiased text.

@FotonCat-
It's easy for a reason. I like games I would play, easy ones. However, I agree with Conexion in that maybe I could have added a little more variety.

@N3trunn3r-
Aha! I knew there was a weakness! People can't run it! At least mine runs!

@Mitchell-
I really like your game. It's a shame noone voted for it.

Thanks.  ;D
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

Conexion

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »
@Conexion-

So your two reasons are - "I'm in 24-bit color mode" and "My program doesn't support aliased text"?

I can reduce my version of the title screen to 8 colors (or even 7) and still keep the aliased text. The title should be able to work in an 8-bit graphics mode, much less a 24-bit mode (I could even code you an example in like 20 seconds). Your title screen on the other hand uses over 256 distinct colors.

There are many online image editors as well as free ones that can handle simple things like aliased text and color management. If I really wanted to, I could reduce it down to 3 colors without the aliasing the text and it would still look better. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I really don't see any validity in your reasons.

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
@Conexion-

So your two reasons are - "I'm in 24-bit color mode" and "My program doesn't support aliased text"?

I can reduce my version of the title screen to 8 colors (or even 7) and still keep the aliased text. The title should be able to work in an 8-bit graphics mode, much less a 24-bit mode (I could even code you an example in like 20 seconds). Your title screen on the other hand uses over 256 distinct colors.

There are many online image editors as well as free ones that can handle simple things like aliased text and color management. If I really wanted to, I could reduce it down to 3 colors without the aliasing the text and it would still look better. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I really don't see any validity in your reasons.
No, no, I can use your image, but I can't make one like it because the program I use reduces everything down to the lowest common denominator, meaning that BMPs are exported in some weird format. 256 colors won't work.

Conexion

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 11:06:53 PM »
Odd, well, I'm not sure why your program does that. Maybe get a different program? There are plenty of free ones out there that work well on even older computers and operating systems.

agamemnus

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
Well...

I played them all. Mini-reviews:

==============

BadCaveGuy: Three words: Worst. Game. Ever. It runs super-fast; over before I can do anything. Horrible image clipping, to boot. (someone could get epilepsy from it)

==============

Witchcraft Adventure: [copypasted from freebasic.net] Too claustraphobic without a minimap (for me). Good graphics, and good effort on intro "movie".

==============

FaceInvaders: [copypasted from freebasic.net from yesterday night] Nice, got to level 203 before I let myself lose... I'm falling asleep.... not necessarily because of the game ;)

==============

Chack:
after I figured out how to run it (from the post here -- didn't know you had to move it up a directory), I played it.

Also: right click shouldn't move the piece... I thought it would deselect.

It's an idea, but the controls of the paddle are way too sensitive for me. Usually I overshoot, and end up losing a bishop after trying to take a pawn. With the super-sensitive controls, it's just way too hard for me.

===============

Plix: buggy, buggy, buggy. A lot of unbalanced/useless items/buildings, too. What's the purpose of storage? Upgrading collection speed is nearly useless, and you can't really defend your base with your "avatar" if it is breached. ON BALANCE, good and unique gameplay and "compelling" visuals... if you don't crash!

==============

Adventure for Breakfast: FMOD.DLL COULD NOT BE FOUND!!! Good thing I have a copy here. Like a ZZT adventure with cartoon-ish graphics instead of enhanced ASCII.

"The guard is stubborn, but if you speak to him, he will get you an idea of how to get *PASSED*."... mistake! But besides that.... JUMPMAN! (without the jumping)

WOW! Fishing, ZZT, PacMan, JUMPMAN (without the jumping)!! OMG OMG OMG!

It only took me 14 minutes and 59 seconds!

==============

So...

It's a tie in my mind between Plix and Adventure for Breakfast. Beyond the slight grammar mistake and need for the fmod dll, Adventure for Breakfast is perfect. Short, sweet, and had several different gameplay types. (I liked fishing the most!) On the other hand, Plix is more unique and original, but quite buggy and a bit unbalanced/unpolished.

Tusike

• Novice
    • MSN Messenger - varnaipeti@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »
Yeah I agree Adventure for Breakfast is completely complete and bug-free, it would be my favorite, except that its way too short and isn't really a challenge. But it was fun to play through once. Hope there will be a continuation like it said:)

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »
I'm glad people like the game, i know it's short and easy but hopefully people found it fun!

Though i'm cursing about passed/past and i'm also wishing i included that damn fmod.dll...

Oh.. and i do have part of a sequel in mind :)

I've not voted at the moment because it seems a bit odd that i would vote either for myself or against myself...

Of the others, i would probably of voted for Witchcraft as it seemed the most complete, though i did think i was wandering aimlessly for a bit but the presentation and graphics are excellent!

I couldn't play PlixTD because of the resolution which is a shame as i really like TD games, but judging by the screenshots and other reviews it sounds great and may well of got my vote!