10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: FBGD Gameplay Combo Competition (Nov 2010 - Jan 2011) - 200 $ 1st prize award!  (Read 95986 times)

Tusike

• Novice
    • MSN Messenger - varnaipeti@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
@Lachie: there's always F5, F6, and F7 to help:) BTW, you can increase the fun factor by about ten times more by playing some music in the background with the media player:)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
N3trunn3r, you didn't explain that you can do object combining only in the lower-right part of the bagpack. Any reason for that?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

N3trunn3r

• Novice
    • View Profile
I thought it would explain itself. I probably expected everybody to have played Diablo II :-X
I gonna put that in the Readme.txt

-To combine items use the 9 marked fields to the lower right in your bagpack.
  Simply put there two items and push "space", remember not to have more items there
  than are necessary for the result.

And I just put it into the tutorial as well. (for the next patch)

Sadly I have no Beta testers,
so hopefully your not gonna miss how to dig, the spirit talking stuff and other funny things.
I don't want to kill the fun of discovering.

Anything else guys? I like the feedback.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:56:01 PM by N3trunn3r »

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
I thought it would explain itself. I probably expected everybody to have played Diablo II :-X
I gonna put that in the Readme.txt

-To combine items use the 9 marked fields to the lower right in your bagpack.
  Simply put there two items and push "space", remember not to have more items there
  than are necessary for the result.

And I just put it into the tutorial as well. (for the next patch)

Sadly I have no Beta testers,
so hopefully your not gonna miss how to dig, the spirit talking stuff and other funny things.
I don't want to kill the fun of discovering.

Anything else guys? I like the feedback.

You win. What are you going to do with the $200?

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just to make a contribution and say I finished something (yes, I know it sucks), here: http://jafile.com/uploads/mitchell/chack1.zip
The binary is for Linux, so you'll have to rebuild it for Windows. I have no idea how it'll run in Windows though (compile Chack.bas and move the executable up a directory next to the linux binary, otherwise it won't see the /resource directory). After spending a few days seeing nothing but segfaults, I'm kinda sick of working on it. I'll try to add the second game mode in, but if I don't put an update, this is my entry. BTW, feel free to use the source code.

Although I'll warn you, using the memory manager can be an epic PITA, but it does help abstract away allocating and freeing memory.
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
@brickbreak, just tried your game on a another computer, it works great! :)

N3trunn3r

• Novice
    • View Profile
You win. What are you going to do with the $200?
I haven't decided jet, until Lachie says I haven't won, I haven't won.
I don't think about things that aren't for sure.

Actually I like Mitchell's little chess game! It gave me 5 minutes of joy.
I remember all those freeware chess games with the "Unbeatable AI of Immortality".
I never won. Except in this one :D!

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
@brickbreak, just tried your game on a another computer, it works great! :)
Great! Do you like it? Is it lacking anything?

@N3trunn3r- Well, I think you should win. Far more work went into your game than the others.

@Mitchell- Did you do that for me? I'll be sure to test it.

Oh my god it works perfectly! I will add that to my limited collection of games I can play on my computer. The graphics are rather primitive, but smart moves!

I really like how I can keep playing after my king dies.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:20:08 AM by Brick Break »

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
@brickbreak, i only had a quick go (not really able to test thoroughly here...) but it was fun!

I like mitchells chess game! Cool how their is a nice variety of entries, though i wish KW's had the second game mode...

I don't think i mentioned ChangeV's game in my earlier post, another great game! Very nice graphics (nice parallax!), i hope you finish or extend it!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
ChangeV plans to finish it, which is great.

KW's game has a second game mode, you just didn't reach it.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
Aha, I am cooking up a new game mode as I speak . . . er, type. It's a surprise, but don't worry, the mechanics should be self-evident.
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
Viola: http://jafile.com/uploads/mitchell/chack2.zip, buggy as hell, but it now has two game modes. Warning: second game mode is much harder, and the ai is bloody near impossible to beat when it has attacker advantage. The best strategy advice I can give you is to conserve your pieces and try to hit the enemy king with all you have. The AI is very aggressive.

Second note: for those just playing this version, battle mode starts when one piece attacks another. The attacker gains a big advantage over the defender, and you are blue side for the record. AFAIK the pace should be the same regardless of how fast your computer is, but if not, sucks to be you for those with workstations. :P

ETA: just ran it through wine. I hope it isn't that slow on windows, otherwise y'all are missing out. It's pretty fast and difficult on Linux.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:18:52 AM by Mitchell »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
One hour left to go...

Tusike

• Novice
    • MSN Messenger - varnaipeti@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi,

I released the game in the "Showcase" section, and that is my official entry to this competition. I posted the link here as well, just in case:)

I fixed the bug that caused the crashing: apparently, getmouse can return -1 in fullscreen as well, and I tried to access a (0, YYY) array at -1. That took me 4 hours to find. Anyway, during the debugging, I started playing about 10-15 times, and each time I wrote down on a piece of paper, what I thought needed to be altered or fixed. Then I did those things, and started again. The first time I filled a whole A4 page:) By my last one or two games, I didn't find any real bugs, just small corrections and fixes, alterations to UI controls and things like these. Still, I'm sure if I had time to play another 10-15 times, I'd come up with something each time, but I hope this version has no bugs, and the small glitches don't bother the use so much. The only thing I'm sad I didn't have time to add is more levels, and a saving feature.
Have fun!

-Tusike

http://www.mediafire.com/?2c7bmfchaiihdnm

PS: don't forget to vote for me...:) I also didn't have time to have the game vote on its own secretly while your playing...

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Competition closed! Redownloading all the entries as we speak. Thank you for participating.

I'll open a community vote thread today or tomorrow, and I'll try to finish rating all the games this or next week. Thank you for your patience.