10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: FBGD Gameplay Combo Competition (Nov 2010 - Jan 2011) - 200 $ 1st prize award!  (Read 95566 times)

LordBthry

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
Yahtzee meets Wolfenstein sounds interesting.  ;D

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
"Uh-oh. Looks like you walked into a full house!"  :P

I'm going to try something new and keep a dev log in the TIG Forums if anyone wants to follow along... no need for me to spam this thread with updates. Thanks for the feedback, ssjx.  :)

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=15667.0

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
Yahtzee meets Wolfenstein sounds interesting.  ;D
"Uh-oh. Looks like you walked into a full house!"  :P
I was thinking more along the lines of going into rooms to pick up giant game pieces, and then going into other rooms to use them. Maybe the player would put the cup in a machine to shake the dice up, etc. Nobody really understands the rules anyway, so it would just be for the fun of trying to interact with objects.

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
Sounds like a good idea, being that FB doesn't have sprite scaling.
Multiput, rotozoom, OpenGL, HGE, etc.

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
Sounds like a good idea, being that FB doesn't have sprite scaling.
Multiput, rotozoom, OpenGL, HGE, etc.
The FreeBASIC god speaks!

I don't know what Multiput is, could you elaborate?

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email

Search the FreeBasic forums for it. But Dr_D's rotozoom is better.
They can display sprites with scaling and rotation.
You'd know about it if you weren't so intent on avoiding that forum. 8)

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile

Search the FreeBasic forums for it. But Dr_D's rotozoom is better.
They can display sprites with scaling and rotation.
You'd know about it if you weren't so intent on avoiding that forum. 8)
I'm telling you, I don't like the people there. Could you give me a link to Multiput? The Rotozoomer is too advanced and complicated for my [retarded] tastes.

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
I'm telling you, I don't like the people there. Could you give me a link to Multiput? The Rotozoomer is too advanced and complicated for my [retarded] tastes.

Well I am one of the people there. What's your problem? Social Anxiety Disorder? Or is it you just don't like criticism? You are really missing out on learning programming with FB by avoiding the main forums.

-Vince
Cheers!
-Vince

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
Lachie said this conversation's getting a little off the rails. Screw the FB guys. Here we make games. Point proven, let's move on.

stylin

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lachie, sounds like an interesting competition. Are you accepting donations for the prize pool ?

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Most certainly. Email me. :)
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
$$$$
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:50:55 PM by Brick Break »

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Hi,
Just an update, I haven't fully fleshed out my idea yet but it will be some sort of quest/rpg where most of the tasks will involve other game types. Although this makes it sound like the rpg map is a glorified menu, the quest games will be something you can play or ignore. Most  of the quest games will serve to join the rpg towns.

Some examples of possible areas include

* A haunted forest between towns that is essentially pacman with trees.
* A mine under a town will be a boulderdash game. This will probably have 2 ways in and out.
* A sea crossing bit that will be fishing game where you have to lower a line to catch fish.

I have not decided whether to make the game some grand 'save the world/universe by recovering an object' or just a case of running some errands for some more mundane purpose. One of my ideas is that you are collecting breakfast (eggs, oats, milk etc....)!

At the moment i am slowly putting together the rpg element realising that there is a lot of graphics to draw and essentially 3+ control systems and game types to make!

Hopefully in the next few weeks i will have a name and some screenshots (or possibly demo) to upload.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Sounds cool and not too complex. You always deliver well-rounded entries to FBGD competitions, so I'm looking forward to your contribution too.

Anyway, wanted to post a short message to everyone who is participating or planning to.

It's been almost two weeks since the start of the competition and I hope most of your who are serious about it defined the concept of their entries, at least roughly. Still, I do think you can give yourself about two more weeks for planning, but after that, as I said earlier, it will be the ultimate moment to start developing in order to have a solid chance to compete for the first two places.

To make the flow of the competition more interesting, I encourage everyone who is willing to share his plans and also, to share any screenshots when such become available.

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:31:27 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
Oh, I didn't post my idea. I guess I should have.

Well, here's a quickie: I'll make a side-scroller platformer that has portals to tank combat zones that you must complete to get items to get to the end of the side scroller level.
I'll call it- Tron 20XI