10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: The Stranger's Adventure  (Read 38808 times)

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Stranger's Adventure
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »
What I really think would help the game being less frustrating and unappealing in the beginning is quite a small change - give the paladin a short sword in the start. After I leveled up for the first time, I was a much more pleasurable game to play.

My introduction story says that the stranger is unarmed... Is that ok if I give him a more valuable bag of old coins for sale, say 30 coins more value, so he can easily buy one at the Toroia's Weapon Smith?

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 03:21:12 AM »
Yeah, that would be ok too.

EDIT: I got mutilated by the first boss monster, meaning, I have several more hours of leveling up just to have a chance. Not sure I like that. I do assume you finished this game yourself. I don't know what I hate more from a game designer who didn't play-through his own game properly before releasing it...hopefully, this is not the case here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:45:27 AM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
The main focus should always be on cross-platform compatibility. I just had a harsh talk with someone on Facebook about free love, I don't want any more bullshit.

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 04:15:24 PM »
EDIT: I got mutilated by the first boss monster, meaning, I have several more hours of leveling up just to have a chance. Not sure I like that. I do assume you finished this game yourself. I don't know what I hate more from a game designer who didn't play-through his own game properly before releasing it...hopefully, this is not the case here.

I have completed the game several times and that particular boss requires strategy rather than sword slashing! First, go buy 18 flasks of ether and as soon as you get the fireball spell, you can beat it... You see, I'm a big fan of the legend of zelda games, so this boss is only vulnerable to fire... Blast him one time with a fireball and it will get hurt and be paralyzed... keep blast him and it'll remain paralized and get hurt... But remember, stay away from it and just before using a flask to refuel your mana make sure you have enough mana to cast the spell one more time just in case it extinguish its fire and you'll be just fine...

BTW, I'm almost done with the changes you asked me to do... I'll find some time to work on it this evening and I'll upload the next version tonight...

The main focus should always be on cross-platform compatibility. I just had a harsh talk with someone on Facebook about free love, I don't want any more bullshit.

I'm sorry but, I'd rather like to have a good game on one platform than worrying about cross-platform comptability with a bad game. However, it doesn't mean I have give up with the cross-platform compatibility, I'll do it when I'll get some more time...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:58:51 PM by Clay Dragon »

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 05:02:17 PM »
I think you have given up. You didn't add that second sentence until an edit. Clearly, cross-platform code is not foremost in your mind.

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
I have edited my post also to annonce that I'll work on my game this evening and release it tonight also, not because I don't care about you but because I don't have the mind focused enough to write everything I have in mind in one shot (especially long posts): I take medication on a regular basis for seven years now and one of the side effects affect concentration and memory...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:30:56 PM by Clay Dragon »

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 05:41:22 PM »
I have edited my post also to annonce that I'll work on my game this evening and release it tonight also, not because I don't care about you but because I don't have the mind focused enough to write everything I have in mind in one shot (especially long posts): I take medication on a regular basis for seven years now and one of the side effects affect concentration and memory...
I'm sorry. Maybe you could go open source? People would probably contribute. Cross-platform is kind of my thing because I can't afford a Windows machine, so that would be my focus. Lachie might focus on making quests and stuff. The game sounds really elaborate as it is, so good luck on this.

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »
I'm sorry. Maybe you could go open source? People would probably contribute. Cross-platform is kind of my thing because I can't afford a Windows machine, so that would be my focus. Lachie might focus on making quests and stuff. The game sounds really elaborate as it is, so good luck on this.

I have spent 11 years writing this engine and game. I can compare my code as a huge best seller book (almost 15000 lines)! Why should I give the source code freely? Ok, it'll probably never give me any money but to think I made this almost all by myself makes me proud and gives a meaning to my life... Don't worry though, I will come up with something tomorrow just for you... And I almost forgot, I suggest you should test the game again and at the title screen press "Z" within Wine, because I think somehow that the file "fond.dat" was missing when you try it the first time! if you don't see the hand cursor tell me ok?

@Lachie: The work is done! Download the new version of my game as usual in my first post. Don't forget to make a backup of your folder SGAME from the main game folder if you don't want to start your game  over again. Thank you so much for time, Lachie!

Cheers to both of you!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:54:26 PM by Clay Dragon »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 01:41:06 AM »
I think you can compile for a specific OS. There should be a command line paramenter in FB. Not sure it would work, but you could send an EXE compiled FOR Linux to Brick to test.

Thanks for the tip about the monster. Will try to finish the game, or at least, pass a fair chunk of it this week. Cheers!
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 12:33:33 PM »
@Brick: As I promised, I present you with something that should please you... (See fist post, download links). If you can make it work within the Wine emulator, I'll give you credits for it of course and I'll be able to make my game work within Wine from there... But even if you can't make it work, I still have an option left: I took the decision to install Linux on my computer... I can't do it now because I don't have a DVD Burner, but my brother will give me a copy of his 'Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 Installation DVD on september 12th... And I know it will be a lot of work with the backup, installation and everything but I think its time to make a backup of my data, its been 17 months I haven't done so... Plus, it's worth the try!

@Lachie: Windows Freebasic Version can't compile Freebasic code for Linux,  you have to use the Linux FreeBasic Version within a Linux OS to do that.

Cheers to both of you!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:36:07 PM by Clay Dragon »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 01:45:07 PM »
Did you check out this FB wiki page: http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=CompilerOpttarget ?

Maybe you don't have to compile inside Linux, but have cross compilation support enabled in your version of FB (don't know how that is done).

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »
I'm not sure that will be necessary, Lachie. Most people running Linux have Wine installed.

Clay Dragon, I am amazed that you could stick to this project for 11 years. I can't even keep my mind on something for a week. I tested it again, and neither the cursor nor the font showed up, but it took me to the next screen when I pressed z, like you said.

I'm surprised you went open source with it, after all you said. I'll see what I can do to make things show up. The cursor is definitely hidden. Is that intentional?

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »
Did you check out this FB wiki page: http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=CompilerOpttarget ?

Maybe you don't have to compile inside Linux, but have cross compilation support enabled in your version of FB (don't know how that is done).

I did check it now and made a little research... It appears that it is very complicated to compile a linux program in windows even with the -target linux command: http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81105

I'm surprised you went open source with it, after all you said. I'll see what I can do to make things show up. The cursor is definitely hidden. Is that intentional?

I agreed to give you the sourcecode but only for 10% of my game... It's like giving you the icing of the cake instead of the whole thing... And no, the cursor is fully fonctional on my computer, I don't know why it doesn't appear on your screen... I thought that maybe you could figure it out!

Cheers to both of you and thank you for your support!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:18:17 PM by Clay Dragon »

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »
Well, if the cursor hiding is not intentional, that's easy.

FreeBASIC (on Wine anyways) seems to have trouble pasting/moving around images in a certain way, like you did for the text that doesn't show up. The solution? Use the default cursor. Don't even bother hiding the mouse and showing a custom cursor. It always works that way.

As for your text, just use the built-in fonts. If you really must have extra-large characters or fancy stuff like that, use conventional image display methods, like you would find on the Wiki.

Clay Dragon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »
FreeBASIC (on Wine anyways) seems to have trouble pasting/moving around images in a certain way, like you did for the text that doesn't show up. The solution? Use the default cursor. Don't even bother hiding the mouse and showing a custom cursor. It always works that way.

As for your text, just use the built-in fonts. If you really must have extra-large characters or fancy stuff like that, use conventional image display methods, like you would find on the Wiki.

No offense but I'm convinced that an installation of Linux on my computer on september 12th will be easier to do and be better for my game in the futur...

Thanks to you anyway for the suggestions...

Cheers!