10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Chuckie Egg Returns (0.3)  (Read 13589 times)

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Chuckie Egg Returns (0.3)
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:24:58 AM »
Hi,
This started off as just test program for my scrolling functions but then i started to expand on it and it became a chuckie egg type game!

It's very simple, the aim is to collect all 12 eggs whilst avoiding the swans. There are currently only 2 levels so the game is quite short.

I will probably expand on it to add more levels and smarter swans. The levels are not embedded and can be editted using a paint program (it's easy to see what's what), i may add a custom map folder at some point.

Note you cannot jump over swans, and sometimes the ladders can be awkward...

Anyway, here is the link and thanks for looking:

http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/chuckie.php

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:16:02 PM by ssjx »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: Chuckie Egg Returns (0.1)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »
This is fun! Challenging, but not discouraging. Perhaps slightly too slow. Keep working on this.

Are retro sounds planned?

Also, I'm not familiar with the original Chuckie Egg. I'll wiki it.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

dabooda

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • DaBooda Gaming
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:44:42 AM »
ARGH!! I was working on a chuckie egg remake!! ....jk.

The scrolling engine is nice, and I know this is a WIP. Some of the major issues I ran into is the ladder handling is a bit off, I had to sort of wiggle up the latter to get to the next level. I would loosen your tile reading routine up a bit so there is more move room for the player, to keep him from getting choked between the bricks. Even better have the man sort of lock into the center of the ladder when climbing it. The jumping is a bit unnatural feeling, for it feels like I am floating. Oh and thank you for making this windowed starting off, I wish more people did that. The sprite handling was good, could do with some more frames in animation, but things moved like they should have. Its a good start and the scrolling engine was rather smooth, without flicker and jerkiness...good job on that.

DaBooda out...
Baa...Baa...Bang! F&#K! I'm Wool!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »
Hmm...dabooda, you can always remake this:

Or this:

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

dabooda

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • DaBooda Gaming
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »
Yeah,Yeah...It would be like remaking pong...I get it.

Sorry ssjx, the same issues I pointed out you where already aware of. Guess I need to read the whole post before testing. :p

Again, really smooth scrolling engine, but it seemed a bit slow. Maybe you should increase the increment of the sprites to compensate for using a higher resolution.

DaBooda out...
Baa...Baa...Bang! F&#K! I'm Wool!

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

The slowness should be easy to fix as i had to massively slow thing down.

One of my main problems in general with FB is controlling the framerate, things run either to fast or too slow. I need to put together a decent frame counter.

Eventually i would like to use this engine for a Turrican style game!

Btw, i like making stuff start in a window as it i find it much easy to work with and to kill if it crashes  ;D

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »
Btw, i like making stuff start in a window as it i find it much easy to work with and to kill if it crashes

Yeah, same thing here. Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of compiling with -s gui while developing, which prevents me to end my program easily if it stucks in an endless loop. Console window close button does this so clean.

Erm...for a Turrican style game you'll need a more powerful engine, BTW. Ok, maybe this one is powerful. Didn't check the code. But it doesn't appear like one.

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »
Erm...for a Turrican style game you'll need a more powerful engine, BTW. Ok, maybe this one is powerful. Didn't check the code. But it doesn't appear like one.

Don't let the lousy graphics fool you  ;) Scrolling works, collision works, collecting things works,multiple enemies works and it should be able to handle very large maps. Once the source to this game is a little tidier i'll include it in the zip.

redcrab

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Cute Short Game Project
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 08:44:16 AM »
Hey that 's very nice...  some beep and bop could give more atmosphere... As test of your scrolling engine  that looks good ... keep going ... I'm going forward for future make of...

That's fun !

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
Those birds look suspiciously like the Yellow Dello...
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:50:53 PM »
I've just uploaded version 0.2 the main changes are to the level collision detection.

In the first release the following methods to detect collision were used:

* for the level (rocks and ladders) the position of the maps squares were used to
  detect what the player was against. Although this is fine if the player moves the
  same distance as the blocks (e.g. 32 pixels) it worked badly for this. This is why
  ladders were awkward and you could climb them even if you were not on them and
  why you could not get close to walls.

* the swans and collectables used correctly sized bounding boxes so picking things up
  and hitting thing works as it should. Much fairer.

Now all collision detection is the second method, this means ladders are no longer awkward and it just works better. The swans use the simple method to check for walls but they move differently to the player.

The source is now included (work in progress etc...) and so is a new level. This level is just an example of a larger map.

Here's the link  again:

http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/chuckie.php

Enjoy!

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
Re: Chuckie Egg Returns (0.3)
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »
Another update, now version 0.3.

Changes include:

* Swans can climb ladders
* Fixed fault with level loader with maps where height>20
* Now includes 4 maps giving 12 levels
* Moving platforms
* The duck

I got rid of the large map, the 4 maps are now close copies to the original first 4. The moving platform is not perfect but works okay for this game (go can't jump off, you need to walk off it).

The main thing missing now is sound and the presentation could do with a bit of work.

Enjoy!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »
Fun. Much smoother than the original version. I liked the swans climbing ladders. They are now a much bigger challenge to avoid. Still, perhaps they shouldn't climb ladders from the first level.

BTW, I reached level 5 with the huge duck chasing me and gave up. What is the difference between levels 1-4, 5-6, and 7-12?

Also, I recommend you stop releasing other versions until the final one. On the end not many people will be motivated to play the final version after they passed through an iteration of 10 previous builds.

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 02:02:51 PM »
Yeah, i thought that about the releases too, the next one will probably be the last major version anyway! I suppose that is the only downside with the 'release often' idea, people may get sick of seeing the same levels again and again..

Level 1-4 are just swans, Levels 5-8 are just the duck and 9-12 are swans and duck.

Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:15:43 PM by ssjx »