10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Asteroids Remake!  (Read 5831 times)

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
Asteroids Remake!
« on: July 26, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »
I have created a remake of the classic arcade version of Asteroids.

UPDATE!!!

Release Candidate version .9 is now available for download. Now is the time to look for bugs. All gaming aspects are complete (with the exception of the hyperspace function).

Please take a look and help with testing. Keep in mind this is a remake of the original arcade version. I have tried to make the game play as close to the original as possible.

Download Here

Thanks
-Vince
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:25:44 PM by vdecampo »
Cheers!
-Vince

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
Re: Asteroids Remake!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:24:01 AM »
UPDATE! .91

Release Candidate 2

This puppy is pretty much done. Except for any last minute bugs, this game is pretty much wrapped up! All features active including hi scores!

Try it out and let me know what ya think!

Download Asteroids (WIN/LIN)

-Vince
Cheers!
-Vince

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:01:50 PM »
Finally a new game! Thanks Vince.

Anyway, couldn't get to the PC yesterday. Will check out this baby today for sure.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:20:05 AM »
UPDATE!!! ver .92

[FIXED] If a UFO destroyed the last asteroid it would not respawn next level
[FIXED] In demo mode, demo player being killed would cause hi score function to get new initials.

Classic Asteroids Remake

-Vince
Cheers!
-Vince

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Very fun and smooth game. Great work. I would appreciate a documentation explaining the differences from the original Asteroids game. BTW, how much is the high score table competetive? I scored 7200 pts in the second game. Maybe more challenging high scores to beat would be nice.

Also, didn't check the code, but is this built with some engine of yours?

I'm thinking about getting back to game design without having to worry much about my graphics skills (whose lack of is my biggest demotivator), and I thinking a vector game of some sort would suit my current affinities.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 02:55:41 PM »
Very fun and smooth game. Great work. I would appreciate a documentation explaining the differences from the original Asteroids game. BTW, how much is the high score table competetive? I scored 7200 pts in the second game. Maybe more challenging high scores to beat would be nice.

Also, didn't check the code, but is this built with some engine of yours?

I'm thinking about getting back to game design without having to worry much about my graphics skills (whose lack of is my biggest demotivator), and I thinking a vector game of some sort would suit my current affinities.

If you check the source you will find my Polygon engine and vector font routines. They are very portable and should work plug-n-play with anything you want to do.

As far as differences from the original I can think of a couple....
1. Asteroid polygon design is not the same as original
2. Point scoring was my best guess. I also do not award extra men because I could not find any info about at what scores you get one. (I plan on adding this for version 1.0)

I used the original sounds and I attempted to get the AI of the UFOs exactly.

I thought about turning this project into a tutorial because I made a big effort on commenting the code.

-Vince

PS: I changed the auto-hiscore table to start at 15000!
Cheers!
-Vince

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 02:34:25 PM »
UPDATE! ver .99

1. Added extra life every 10000 points
2. Default High Scores harder to beat