gfxgfxFreeBASIC Games Directory Forumgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. November 21, 2017, 07:53:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
14.09.2014 - Check the results of our latest game dev competition here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=606.0
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What have I been wasting time on?  (Read 8700 times)
ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »

Sprite Editor

Inspired by PixelPlus 256.
Supports 320x200 to 1024x768+ resolutions.
32bit color.
Can switch between 16 different palette maps.
It is still early in development.
Functions currently implemented:
- Brush and paint tools.
- Zoom and pan.
- Palette color-picker.
- Adding/browsing sprites

Still much to work on. I'm currently working on the selection box and cut/copy/paste tools.

Toadman 3

Very early in development.
Plans for finished product:
- 640x480 graphics
- One player campaign (progress through matches, similar to Quake 3)
- Two player split-screen
- Death matches against AI opponents
- Other match modes (such as obstacle courses and a variation of steal the flag)

More to come!

BadMrBox
Forum Sage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »

That sprite editor looks interesting Smiley. So does the game.

Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 03:50:51 AM »

I never liked Toadman games to be honest. Action games with tile by tile movement and no AI....maybe this sequel will be interesting.

As BadMrBox, I'm more interested in you Sprite Editor. PP256 was my key QB games development tool. Having something in the same vein for FB would be awesome.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:04:20 PM by Lachie Dazdarian » Logged

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »

Mhmm. I see how it is. Grin

The first two Toadman games weren't designed for single player, although some cheap AI was programmed in for Toadman 2. At the time those games were being developed I had a cousin living nearby who also programmed, so that style of game evolved because we found it incredibly fun to make games where we could verse each other. Still, they were very lacking and buggy.

I always wanted to make a third one, something solid that didn't have all the problems of the first two. The AI is a major focus for this one. The scrolling style is half-tile, as opposed to a whole tile at a time. Full-out pixel by pixel scrolling doesn't seem to fit the pacing of the game. You navigate the map similar to tile by tile but there's some quick animation and scrolling as you hop in between tiles.

Same with the sprite editor, always wanted to make one. I tried many times, but this time I actually got something going. Hooray!

ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:50:29 AM »

Update!

The flamethrower in action (just fragged a toad):

Some other toads wandering around the map:

Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »

Looks cool. Nice to hear you are putting the main focus on AI in this sequel.

What's the current status of development?

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »

It's been on hiatus for a couple months. Just got back to working on it over the weekend. Besides that, there's not much else to report about, unfortunately.

ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 03:58:08 AM »

So it's been a while. Very little has been done.

I'm going to cut back. First, I'm dropping this AI idea; that's going to take too much time that I don't want to commit to. Then I'm going lay out a plan to finish this. Going to go with something simple, like just a one player adventure mode. I'm not giving up on this yet.

Brick Break
Forum Sage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »

Cool. You know you could have some primitive linear (bilinear) follower AI. IF ENEMYX>PLAYERX THEN ENEMYX-=1 etc.
ecxjoe
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »

Ok so I don't know what to do with this game anymore. Sure, hopping around and setting trees on fire is fun...but beyond that I'm short on ideas. So this project is on the back-burner for now.

Brick Break
Forum Sage

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 01:07:54 AM »

Ok so I don't know what to do with this game anymore. Sure, hopping around and setting trees on fire is fun...but beyond that I'm short on ideas. So this project is on the back-burner for now.
No, no, here's an idea- make blue enemy frogs that explode and you try to get them to blow themselves up.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: