10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: FBGD Antagonist Competition (Nov 2009 - Jan 2010) - 125 $ 1st prize  (Read 56084 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
FBGD ANTAGONIST COMPETITION

Greetings everyone. I'm announcing a new FreeBASIC game making competition starting today (22nd November of 2009 and lasting till 18th January of 2010 (Monday). The main theme of the competition is to create a game where the player controls (plays the role) of the antagonist in the story/gameplay. This can be done either by reversing the roles in some known game concept (like playing the role of Invaders in Space Invaders type of game or Donkey Kong in Donkey Kong type of game) or creating something completely new, but where the player is the antagonist, with the emphasis of this being expressed with the gameplay mechanics (not only the story).

Competition rules:

* the gameplay must feature the player in the role of the antagonist(s), preferably represented through gameplay
* the game has to be compiled in FreeBASIC
* source code must be provided with the entry
* all libraries wrapped for FreeBASIC are allowed
* the competition entries must be submitted via email or in this thread before 18th of Jan, 2010
* the winner will receive 125 $ cash prize paid via Moneybookers, PayPal or directly on their bank account; the runner-up will receive 50 $ cash prize
* all entries will be evaluated solely by me (Lachie Dazdarian)

Scoring details:

Game design (40 points max): The emphasis in this category will be put on how much the designer was imaginative and clever in making the player the antagonist of the story/gameplay. Being able to reverse the roles in some pre-made game concept and make it interesting to play will probably receive higher points (I can assume that it will be difficult to code the “Hero” AI in such cases) than an entry with a brand new game concept (but this is not a rule; I don’t know what will people come up with). Of course, entries that were able to express the antagonist  theme of the competition only through the story will receive the least amount of points in this category.

Gameplay (10 points max): In this category I will evaluate how much the game is fun and challenging to play.

Progression (6 Points max): In this category I will evaluate the progression in the game (is it present and how much it enhances the play experience).  This will be used to award the entries that feature more depth in comparison to those that don't feature it.

Replay Value (6 Points max)

Graphics (7 points max)

Sound/music (7 points max)

Personal likeness (4 points max)

Good luck with your entries. All questions and comments go in this thread too.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:31:08 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

mambazo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: FBGD Antagonist Competition (Nov 2009 - Jan 2010) - 50 $ 1st prize
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »
Sounds good, but, would it not be nice to have the judging done by a majority vote?

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »
I was planning on doing a Doom clone. Now I have to make it antagonistic. Great. There's only one guy you have to kill, then the game is over. >:(

;D
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

Zamaster

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »
Great Idea! I am on fall break so I can, and will be entering this competition.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
Nice to see some of you guys back,and eager to participate. I'll revise the idea of popular vote participating in the final score of each game by some ratio.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Zamaster

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »
Im glad  music and sound is weighted as much as the visuals are  :)

Deleter

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 09:55:10 PM »
Good antagonistic games -> dungeon keeper, overlord, evil genius

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:19 PM »
Yeah, reminds me of an old game I had (abandonware?) where you had to populate a dungeon with monsters to stop heroes from getting at your treasure.  I can also see an opportunity for a game like Majesty (one of my fav. kingdom building sims), just on "the dark side".  My first idea was a platformer where you have to stage hazards and monsters to keep adventurers from getting stealing away your daughter that everyone mistakes as a damsel in distress.  Not sure if I'll have the time for all that, but it could be fun to tease out a little more.  ;D

Mitchell

• Forum Howler
  • Rockin Geek
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:11:45 PM »
That's what I'm thinking, sort of. Dungeon master, but first person, where you have to summon monsters and fight invading heros.

I'm doing a ray casting game and that's final. I don't care what BS plot I have to make up to make it work. :P
Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. :P

Jattenalle

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 12:08:07 AM »
Lachie, get on the FB IRC and give me a poke

EDIT: All done
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:26:38 AM by Jattenalle »

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 02:39:52 AM »
Just wanted to say, great idea for a comp! Now i need to get thinking of a good idea...

I had been working on some Flash/Flex things but i think that can wait!

I imagine i will get 1 point for sound/music so i need to make up for this in the other areas! :)

Jojo

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »
Hi Lachie, this sounds like an excellent idea! I'll try and code something if I find some spare time! :D

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »
Seriously? Seriously? You deliberately tried to catch me off guard, didn't you?

Tusike

• Novice
    • MSN Messenger - varnaipeti@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
What's your problem, I think it's a great idea too. In game programming the idea of the game is just as important as making it...

-Tusike

Brick Break

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 07:00:44 PM »
What's your problem, I think it's a great idea too. In game programming the idea of the game is just as important as making it...

-Tusike
This idea requires that one is skilled enough at FreeBASIC to set the technical aspects aside. See, I can't just "make a game" with this language. I have to make a game engine, I have to make sure everything works, and I have to spend a good few hours making sure all of my game variables are explicitly declared.

x=1

OOPS! I didn't spend a good ten minutes stressing over that one line of code, now it's giving me an error!