10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: 2D plaform engine I'm working on (uses OpenGL)  (Read 13285 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: 2D plaform engine I'm working on (uses OpenGL)
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 04:51:23 PM »
I was responding to rolliebollocks.

Of course I will add particle and lighting effects (which really don't have anything with 3D, per se). Shees, you people are really stuck on that. :P
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

codezer0

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 05:41:29 PM »
I recently downloaded the triplane turmoil 2 demo, thinking it might be 3d. But it was a 2d game on a 3d surface, I don't see why you'd have a 3d game that only uses 2 dimensions for gameplay. What a load of fluff.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 05:46:50 PM »
Is it a 2d game or a 3d game? You called it both. I think it's a 2D game, and it doesn't matter how it's done, as far as I care. OpenGL <> 3D game design.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 06:57:30 PM »
You should always take advantage of the graphics library you use.
In FBGFX, that meant a lot of alpha-blending, and using multiput's scaling, but not attempting things like fire effects or distortion.
In OpenGL, for example, you can do 3D explosion effects without any of your main graphics being 3D, and lighting / reflections should be easy to since I think they are built-in.
So it'd be a loss to not do things like that; that's the awesomeness I referred to in my first post, as the screenshot doesn't have anything FBGFX couldn't do.
;)

codezer0

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 08:16:21 PM »
Solution: Use FBGFX

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 03:26:03 AM »
If a game is made with 3d but constructed like a 2d game then it's commonly called 2.5d.

SSC

• Recruit
  • R[a]wr
    • MSN Messenger - smithcosoft@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smithcosoft
    • View Profile
    • SmithcoSoft Creations
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 06:37:12 AM »
A 2D Game in a 3D environment is simply a way to add more flexability to said game allowing for 3D manipulations of 2D graphics and such. On a similar note I have plans to (eventually) make a 3D game designed to look 2D, call me crazy if you like, but the way its set up is so that the graphics are 3D with a 2D style camera view giving it an old school feel.

Just because you are using a library that can handle a lot more than what you are doing doesn't make you wrong, it just means you want to be flexible. To tell someone they should be taking full advantage of something as robust as OpenGL is kinda crazy, no one would ever finish an FB game with OpenGL with that thinking.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »
Actually, the main reason I'm using OpenGL is because of hardware acceleration. I just thought this piece of information is relevant when describing the engine. I doubt I will end up using some functionality I wouldn't be able in FBGFX, but like I said, hardware acceleration is the main reason.

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
Well, that may help you, although I found that FBGFX was fast enough (for my breakout game) since I allowed a variable screen size.
It runs at 320 * 240 in 600MHz, and can run at > 1024 * 768 on a new computer.