10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Axiebal 7  (Read 14065 times)

ideesoftware

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
Axiebal 7
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »
Axiebal 7, the sequel of our "aXiebal Winter", is a game of skill and puzzles, written in FreeBASIC. It's freeware, so check it out!
Comments welcome of course!

Download:
http://www.ideesoftware.org/english.htm

Hendrik

P.S.:
>Please point out if you want for your game to be featured at FBGD
--> Yes please :)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: Axiebal 7
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:49:23 PM »
Like I said in the fb.net forum, I loved this game. Will definitely play it this weekend some more and prolly write a review of it for QB Express.

Not sure if I'll have time for a FBGD update this weekend with having to compile a retro compo webpage I promised.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:56:00 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Jattenalle

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:27:58 PM »
First rule when having an installer: Allow the user to change the install location.

Based on shitty installer (That doesn't work, I have no C: HA HA!) I will apply the same idea to the rest of the game: It's shit.

Please provide a proper installer, thank you.

EDIT:
Got it working by using virtual HD, my assertion still stands: Installer is shit. Fix it!
Game is fun, and I like it.
Love the sound, except for the flag-capture one, maybe add a few different sounds? Maybe something a little less rough, maybe just a piano note or something.
Overall, fun game.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:33:28 PM by Jattenalle »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:44:36 PM »
There should have been a link to a zip download on the English download page, but it disappeared for some reason. What's up with that?

Anyway, it's on the dutch page: http://www.ideesoftware.org/axiebal7.htm
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

dabooda

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • DaBooda Gaming
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:38:56 AM »
This is pretty slick and was fun up to the stage where I was constantly jumping and I couldn't get the control key to work right for me. You should put a flag in there to keep the control key from constantly reading because I kept jumping after landing when I wasn't ready to jump. Just a thought.

Looks good though and a simple yet clever idea for a puzzle game.

DaBooda out...
Baa...Baa...Bang! F&#K! I'm Wool!

ideesoftware

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:42:32 AM »
There should have been a link to a zip download on the English download page, but it disappeared for some reason. What's up with that?

Anyway, it's on the dutch page: http://www.ideesoftware.org/axiebal7.htm

Whoops, forgot to mirror that page (it was on ideesoftware.com, not on ideesoftware.org). Anyway, fixed that. :)

First rule when having an installer: Allow the user to change the install location.
Based on shitty installer (That doesn't work, I have no C: HA HA!) I will apply the same idea to the rest of the game: It's shit.
Please provide a proper installer, thank you.

Well, actually it's a trick I learned from Google Chrome so you can install the game without having administrator privileges (even on Vista).
But it's strange it tried to install to C: on your PC, because that's not hardcoded of course, it gets that location from the OS.

Love the sound, except for the flag-capture one, maybe add a few different sounds? Maybe something a little less rough, maybe just a piano note or something.
Overall, fun game.

Thanks!
I'm not going to change the sound, but if you really hate it you could of course replace the ogg-file yourself on your computer.  :P

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »
Ah, good. I was just about to complain about the installer.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 03:07:14 PM »

No, I'm impressed.

What a great game.

Maybe some levels were too evil, but the fact I have infinite lives and the game is saved on every step...well, I coped with it.

You definitely got the skill dude. Everything is in place in this game. You can only put this game down by disliking its level design, which I don't. Still, it is not perfect.

Oh yes, I think the zoom really should be toggle like, because I had to hold enter on many levels to be able to complete them. This is like the only complaint I have.

I especially loved the speech in the game. Great performance there.

"What are you doing?"

"What are you waiting for, Easter?"

"Ridiculous!"

Pure gold.

Looking forward to new FreeBASIC (!) games from you.

Also, I wouldn't mind you writing an article for the community. Share your skill. Weather it's programming or game design.

Thank you.

EDIT:

Also, you should spread around. I would appreciate if you would submit this game to www.create-games.com

I'm curious about their feedback.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 03:08:44 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 04:19:31 PM »
How'd you make the artwork in the above post? ;)

ideesoftware

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 06:10:37 AM »
No, I'm impressed.

What a great game.
Thanks! :)

Oh yes, I think the zoom really should be toggle like, because I had to hold enter on many levels to be able to complete them. This is like the only complaint I have.

I changed this, maybe you should check it out (same download location as before).

Also, I wouldn't mind you writing an article for the community. Share your skill. Weather it's programming or game design.

I'm honored, but I'm not sure if I'm the right guy for the job. Anyway, I'll read some of the existing articles to get a feel for it, and maybe that'll bring the inspiration.

Also, you should spread around. I would appreciate if you would submit this game to www.create-games.com

I'm curious about their feedback.

I submitted it there, thanks for the hint!

ideesoftware

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 06:12:04 AM »
How'd you make the artwork in the above post? ;)

That's rendered with POV-Ray.

Hendrik

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 03:36:56 PM »
I think Kris was trying to make a hint I cheated.

Anyway, any chance you provide the updates as a small patch? Not happy for having to download 17 MB again for this small change.

I'll be honest and say I don't like the way you changed the zooming, if I'm to believe what you said in the fb.net forum. Making it zoom back automatically after 10 seconds is really stupid. Who says it won't zoom back in, in the most inconvenient moment? The point is in the control. I want to zoom in and out when I want. I don't know why are you so reluctant to make it toggle like (I press enter zoom in, I press enter again zoom out). If that is a problem because of some reasons (beats me), please keep the old system (holding enter zooms out) as the new idea sucks.

ideesoftware

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »
Anyway, any chance you provide the updates as a small patch? Not happy for having to download 17 MB again for this small change.

http://www.ideesoftware.org/freeware/ab7update1.1.exe

I also sent you an e-mail about this issue. Thanks for being honest btw! :)

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »
Well, IMO, the zoom factor forced you to remember paths, which I liked.  Maybe that became a problem in later levels, in which case those levels should be patched, not all of them.  Although, the default zoom is too far in to really do much.  I wish the game utilized zooming as a game element more :(

(And note that I absolutely still stand by the fact that this is one of the best games ever made in freebasic, just in case people start seeming aggressive towards the game play.  It's because we care :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:21:50 PM by Pritchard »

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
I think Kris was trying to make a hint I cheated.

Nop - I just think it'd be nice to be able to make GFX like that. ;)