10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: The blind, deaf and dumb multimedia experience!  (Read 5983 times)

codezer0

• Novice
    • View Profile
The blind, deaf and dumb multimedia experience!
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:05:42 AM »
Ever played that game where one person writes a sentence down and passes the paper to the next person to write a sentence without reading the previous one?

How about something similar for a FB game? Everyone chooses a seperate module to write out of for example

Input
Game Logic
Graphics
Sound
etc or more low level if there's enough people

nobody knows what the others are doing, and we put it all together at the end. Only the main system and globals will have to be shared at the start...

Pretty shit or what?

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The blind, deaf and dumb multimedia experience!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:56:49 AM »
There's several reasons that I wouldn't participate in this.  First off, this has been tried before and anyone who's ever been depended on to get the job done bailed out in the end.  Secondly, API differences and a variety of approaches has only led people to get angry and leave the project.  Thirdly, I'll be running my prototyping sessions soon, which try and do what this proposes, but gives a lot more freedom and makes us a lot less dependent on one another.

You'd have to be a very dedicated manager to pull this off, too.  Even with a lot of concepts, putting that together into a game will be difficult, because everything ends up depending on the game logic.

StefanPN

• Recruit
  • Stefan Kostić
    • MSN Messenger - stefanpn@live.com
    • View Profile
    • www.stefanpn.co.nr
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:19:30 AM »
You should try to download few, random, open source games written in FreeBASIC and you should try to take one (and only one) module from each one and put it one project, than successfully compile it in less than a week.

Even if they are written by same author you 'll find that it would be much easier to write whole game by your self.

Anyway, have a nice time trying...  ;)

codezer0

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »
Hmm...maybe if the modules were smaller it wouldn't be so dependent on people sticking it out. But I can see it working anyway, if  the sound guy pulls out there's no sound, if the input guy pulls out it becomes a demo, if graphics guy, a moslo clone. heh. secondly, no api's or extended libs, thirdly, the prototype sessions sound way different to this. The prototype sessions just sounds to me like manager level lingo for brainstorming. It's up there with agile development techniques lol.

There's no hassle in putting it together, you just put it together at the end. Whether it looks right is the thing. It won't. Nobody would know what the other is doing. So you might end up with horror sprites running around to comedy music trying to jump on to platforms.

But then again, you're right it doesn't have much appeal, if it did I would of wrote the main section and made up the variables to be passed.

I just noticed your post stefanPN, either I'm missing something or people don't understand what I'm on about anyway.

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:20:03 PM »
It would take a lot of time and effort to get the modules to work together properly;  assuming it'll "just work" (and maybe have horror sprites running around to comedy music) is like assuming that maybe if we generate a game EXE with a random number generator, we might end up with something odd like all the sprites displayed upside-down on the screen.  Actually, it's more likely we won't have a working program at all.  Forget horror sprites and comedy music - atm we're just trying to get the blasted thing to compile.

It's an interesting idea, but the problem is it sounds too much like a team project you might get paid to do by a company.  You might be willing to do it for money, but it's not a "fun" idea so it isn't likely to go well as a "competition" type thing.  You lose the spirit of competition, because it's more like a team project (with all the difficulties associated with getting such projects to work) instead of just a fun, friendly competition where people can do whatever they like so long as it's within the rules.  In this case, we *wouldn't* be able to do whatever we like, since we'd have to stick to carefully designed APIs and whatnot to make everything work together.  Unless you're expecting us to just write code, then you'll do all the work yourself to modify the code and make it fit together, write the main loop and the actual game code, etc.  Plus, it'd be a bitch for us to individually test our code since we don't know what the rest of the program looks like.  Unit testing is all fine and good, but it may end up working nothing the way we originally wrote it, by the time whoever makes the final program compile gets to it.

So... nice idea, but I don't really know if it'll ever get off the ground.  And I'm looking forward to being part of Pritchard's Rapid Prototype Sessions in the near future, so I guess you can count me out too :-\
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »
This could work if this has a manager who proscribes rules for each module that need to be followed. The manager would be aware of the final goal, but would only reveal module properties to module makers.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:16:34 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »
This could work if this has a manager who proscribes rules for each module that need to be followed. The manager would be aware of the final goal, but would only reveal module properties to module makers.
And that's also why it wouldn't work.  This idea has defeated itself before.  Not like I want to kill it if it has a chance to sprout, but I guess it's kind of embedded into my head that unless someone comes up with a REALLY smart way to do this, it's not going to work.

codezer0

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 12:59:50 AM »
Looks like no-one thinks it'll work, I'll try and tell you where I was coming from, and why I thought it would work. I was reading an article on the importance of encapsulation, and it got me to thinking that if code was thoroughly encapsulated elements could be taken out that wouldn't effect the rest of the game at all.

So for instance I tell the graphics guy what variables I'll pass to his main sub, he draws the sprites, has a routine that animates them, adds effects.

The game logic guy moves the sprites etc. With the UDT's and such that he knows exist.

So kinda like lachie is saying where the manager proscibes the 'rules'/(variables) that each mod needs to follow/have. But I don't see why even the manager needs a final goal.

I guess 0 points for originallity then pritchard?

Finally, I've come to agree with notthecheater anyway
"You might be willing to do it for money, but it's not a "fun" idea" heh.

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 05:54:47 AM »
So for instance I tell the graphics guy what variables I'll pass to his main sub, he draws the sprites, has a routine that animates them, adds effects.
APIs.  And this is essentially how a professional game dev project works.  Maybe not a game dev, at least not until later on and with a team, but definitely professional programmers working on web servers and whatnot.

codezer0

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 08:33:10 AM »
I'm gleaning a lot from your vast experience and professionalism, thankyou, and please continue. Your grasp of the kernel of my posts is also quite outstanding.