10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Medals  (Read 7992 times)

codezer0

• Novice
    • View Profile
Medals
« on: September 22, 2008, 05:13:44 AM »
I don't regularly post on this forum, so Hi. :P

I've been following the retro competition since the start of september and have been enjoying it, I've played everyones entries and they're all pretty good i reckon. To the point; I was thinking to promote more comps and entries you could have a thread on this board with medals/ribbons, saying who won what comp. At least as some sort of prize.

I knocked up an example of a ribbon but I'm by no means an artist.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: Medals
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:04:31 AM »
Well, there will a winners page, but I didn't have time to come up with any sort of medal. I would appreciate your contribution here. Together with a more larger and elaborate ribbon.

Anyway, the official award is, as I said earlier, the winning game being promoted on the FBGD main page (in the news) until the next update, and even then it will be clearly visible in the news under. Not sure if I'll be able to deliver this the day I announce the results. I also plan to have some sort of competitions page where this compo will be archived together with the future ones to come.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

codezer0

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »
I also plan to have some sort of competitions page where this compo will be archived together with the future ones to come.

Cool. Lookin' forward to it.

As to a better ribbon, I don't mind trying, but that's about as good as it gets.

Hezad

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:36:42 AM »
Well, I didn't participated to this competition because of lack of time at the beginning and erm.. laziness at the end but anyway, I'd be glad to try to create the "medal(s)" too :) Did you think about a size ? Something which could be put in signature and still relatively discrete ?

codezer0

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »
yeah i just went for the smallest size I could squeeze the word retro into using 8*8 pixels. Thinking smaller is better so somebodies name can go after it. I suppose a rectangle would be a better idea. Would fit a signature or dedicated comp page.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 03:52:32 PM »
For a full size medal, maybe 260x480. I'm sure we can scale that to fit into a signature.

For a ribbon (or a compo website banner), 640x100.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Hezad

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 02:57:31 AM »
260x480 oO lol I was thinking about a more ribbon sized medal :p but why not :D it makes more space to play with ! Here's what I started but it's way too small now :p and not finished anyway

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 03:12:24 AM »
Actually, this works for a ribbon. Thanks. But I could use a proper medal. Like displaying "FBGD Retro 2008 Competition" and "1st Place". Made too look like a medal (circular).

Hezad

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 05:17:47 AM »
Ok, I got the point with medals :) I'll work on that.

Any "1st" writen somewhere on the little ribbon ? I let a space on the left for that, or adding anything .. Maybe a little gold medal ?

Hezad

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 06:44:10 AM »
ok, updated the ribbon and made a first medal, I'm not totally satisfied with the medal but anyway, please tell me if you like or not at all :)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »
I would prefer a medal being a medal, you know, hanging on a peace of cloth, and the image having transparent background. The ribbon is cool.

Hezad

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 06:23:47 PM »
Thanks for the ribbon :) I hope it can help in some way :D

For the medal, do you mean you need some kind of a photo-realistic one ? I understood for the transparent background, but what do you mean by "clothes" ?

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 10:44:42 PM »
Something like this:

http://foxfall.com/medals/cwm-obv.jpg

With text being on the cloth, and 1st place on the medal.