gfxgfxFreeBASIC Games Directory Forumgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2017, 10:37:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
14.09.2014 - Check the results of our latest game dev competition here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=606.0
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: FBGD Retro 2008 Competition (closed; entries are being rated)  (Read 24386 times)
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 28, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »

FBGD Retro 2008 Competition

Competition rules:

• Create a game of any genre in FreeBASIC, in 640*480 graphics resolution.
  • The minimum graphics unit has to be an 8x8 pixels sized block or any bigger than that multiplied with 2 (16x16, 32x32), in order to emulate 80x60 resolution. This means that movement in the game has to be 8 pixels per cycle minimum, and all pixels need to be placed in the appropriate pseudo-resolution grid. In other words, first pseudo-pixel is located on 0,0 coordinate and ends on 7,7. All other pixels are placed respectively. No sliding of pixels between the grid positions is allowed. A pseudo-pixel with the size of 9x9 is outside of rules.
  • You don’t have to use the entire 640*480 screen, but this resolution needs to be initiated (so that the game could be played full screen on most PCs).
  • You are only allowed to use the colors from the default 16-colors EGA palette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Graphics_Adapter#The_EGA_color_palette). You can use a 32-bit color depth mode, but nevertheless, you are only allowed to use the colors from that palette (use RGB to color the pixels if you want, no restrictions there).
  • You are allowed to load your sprites from any image file format, and they can be of any size. The image can be consisted of regular pixels and you can then later "blow-up" those pixel to the size of 8x8. The most important fact is that the sprites (inside the program) must be consisted of 8x8 pseudo-pixels, and that they will move in the game 8 pixels per cycle minimum, always remaining in the pseudo-resolution grid. The pseudo-pixels and sprites consisted of them can also be generated in the code. It doesn’t matter.
  • Pixels mustn’t be shaded or anti-aliased. 16-colors rule applies.
  • You can use any third-party lib wrapped for FreeBASIC.
  • You can use any sort of sound/music for you entry, but retro sound/music are prefered. No sound/music entries are also valid.
  • You must submit the source code together with your entry.
  • There are no code size/style restrictions. This is a game design competition.
  • There are no team size restrictions. Create your entry alone or with other people. I don't care.

This is a mock-up image of how an entry for this compo might look like:

A note that the pixels in this image are not placed in the appropriate grid, so don’t abuse this fact. This is just a mock-up image.

• The competition starts today on 28th August, 20:30 GMT (now!).
  • The competition ends on 21st September (Sunday), 18:00 GMT - extended.
  • All entries must be submitted before that date. Eventually extension of the deadline is possible, but not more than for another week.
  • Entries are submitted in the www.freebasic.net or games.freebasic.net competition threads, or via email to lachie13@yahoo.com.
  • The entries will be evaluated by me in a week following the final deadline and announced shortly. The gameplay, originality is exploiting the graphics limits, and consistent retro design will receive the highest marks. All entries will be reviewed and scored, and my decision will be elaborated.
  • The award will be a monthly feature of the winning entry at the FBGD main page and a possible graphics signature thingy. I’m sorry, I can’t offer more, but hopefully the competition rules are a motivation enough.

I encourage you to post your work in progress or plans in any form (just a sentence or two describing it is enough) before the final deadline to motivate other competitors.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 12:09:54 PM by Lachie Dazdarian » Logged

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
ssjx
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 05:03:21 AM »

Cool comp idea! Seems to include everything mentioned in the other topic!

I'm thinking about entering some 3d maze type thing but if that becomes too tricky i'll try something else...

I'll post a link to my entry once i settle on an idea and actually start making it.
Hezad
Novice

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:51:04 AM »

hehe cool !!

Well I won't be here for a week so I don't know when I'll start or even if I'll have time to, but anyway, i'll keep a very interested eye on this ! 'hope there will be a lot of competitors Smiley

dabooda
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:58:14 PM »

Got my hopes up when I saw RETRO. I didn't realize you meant OUTRO, good god man!! I might try this out if something comes to me...good contest with a very hard concept...block man kills block man of a different color...beep...beep...beep.

DaBooda out...

Baa...Baa...Bang! F&#K! I'm Wool!
ssjx
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:26:18 AM »

Okay, here's a work in progress of my entry:

http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/racer.php

(if the link changes i will update this post)

Currently the game has no purpose as there is no collision detection yet, the aim will probably be to get as far as possible without hitting anything. I may add a story or secondary purpose depending on time and ideas..

At the moment i am well aware everything needs improving but i welcome constructive feedback!

I assumed draw string is out for this competition which is why the text/number is massive btw...

Source is included.
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »

This seems like a really cool idea, ssjx. With this, Conexion's and Mysoft's idea, this could turn out to be quite a cool compo.

Did you consider making the horizontal movement pixel-based (pseudo pixel-based)? If you keep this style, maybe repeated press for each move would be better.

I suggest some random game elements (like something falling from the sky or powerups), and scenery changing as you acumulate higher scores (background and road colors).

And yes, draw string is out of the question.

Please continue with this. I like it a lot so far.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
ssjx
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 04:55:31 AM »

I've just uploaded version 0.2 (+source) which is now much more of a proper game:

Changes:
* Changed the key press method (now keys need to be tapped - good idea lachie!)
* Replaced traffic with cars (was bikes)
* Added simple scaling for distant cars
* Collision detection and explosion
* Title screen
* Gets faster quicker (every each 18 travel)
* Traffic gets denser (after dist>50)

Here's the link:

I doubt i will be doing much more to it this week, but i am thinking about making this a game where you have to travel a set distance (200) to progress onto the next stage. The stages will just be more of the same with a  recolored track with different obstacles and set over day/night. I will make this a game with no ending so it will be a test of endurance too!

My best score so far on this version is 281 though i have not been playing it that much! (The scoring system will be different due to stages in the next version)

Hopefully some other people will upload a demo too, i am curious how my game compares having seen some of the cool screen shots at the main FB site!
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »

I like the progress on this. BTW, did you consider making cars of various colors? Like blue or yellow. Maybe it would make the game slightly more interesting. Also, did you think about adding zeros to scores under the maximum expected? Like score of 8 would be printed as 0008, and score of 120 as 0120. And maybe shifting the score one "pixel" down.

What else? I warmly recommend stage transitions to be continuous. I mean, don't stop the game to exchange stages. Also, don't make the game impossible difficult after certain amount of time/stages. I noticed this mistake in several similar games before, like in Kris' Parachuters. Allow increase of difficulty to a certain point, and after that sustain it, where only the most skilled and enduring players will continue to survive.

Ryan
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:12:23 PM »

Trying to find some inspiration... not sure if I'll turn out anything good for this one.
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

I rephrased the main rule regarding pseudo-resoultion to make it clearer.

Also, I altered a bit the rule about loading graphics from image files. I pointed out that you can use sprites consisted of "normal" 1x1 pixels, but these pixels then need to be "blown-up" to 8x8 size inside your program (on any way you want). Sorry if the original rule slow down someone by forcing them to draw sprites consisted of 8x8 pixels. Then again it's pretty easy to scale your image files by 8:1. Oh, well. Whatever is easier for you.

zzzzzZZZZzzz
Amoeba

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 01:48:19 AM »

I'll try, maybe, If I'm not to late to start.
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »

Well, you still have two full weekends to give it a shot.

BTW, you known in the freebasic.net forum by some other name? Just curious.

Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 05:59:17 AM »

We are somewhere in the middle of the competition, so allow me to recap it by mentioning all who posted info about their possible entries or work in progress:

ssjx – a motorcycle driving game (playable demo available)
Mysoft – a football arcade game (tested a private interactive program)
Conexion – a golf game ((mock-up) images and a screenshot posted so far)
LukeL – a pacman game (tested a private interactive program)
Mentant – a turn-based strategy game (screenshot posted)
notthecheatr – a space game (screenshot posted)
Dr_D – a 3D game (planned)

Things are cooking up! Erm...is that the correct way to say it? Tongue

ssjx
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 08:54:38 AM »

Version 0.3 is now uploaded, this is more of a clean up release. Changes:

* More variety and improved graphics
* Tidyed up text
* Various other tweaks and fixes

Here's the link:

I do not imagine any major changes between this and the final version short of a major bugs popping up. I was tempted to turn it into some spyhunter game or something a little more complicated but i quite like the fact that this game is so basic and simple!
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »

Hrm, I'm not sure I like the fact scenery changes randomly. I would recommend 3-4 sceneries exchanging in a preset pattern (like road, forest, ice, city, road, forest, ....) each day (not each time of the day change). With the current difficulty I'm not sure many would reach day 5 so there would be a sense of progress. Also, did you notice the player's bike blending with the road in the forest? Maybe change the bike's color in the forest to dark grey.

Noticed one bug. Clouds are drawn over the score.

My suggestions:

* retro sounds and/or perhaps non-retro soothing background music
* preset scenery change
* maybe slower increase of difficulty
* high score save feature
* fixed number of digits score display (like 001, 020, 123, 999)

BTW, did you implement max difficulty?

Also, did you experiment with pseudo-pixel movement for the bike? I think this would give more options to player when dodging.

Played 4 times. My top score: 276
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:42:30 AM by Lachie Dazdarian » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to: