10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Galactic Empire - 1.05 released!  (Read 70580 times)

AlZe

• Novice
    • View Profile
Galactic Empire - 1.05 released!
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:01:58 AM »

Name: Galactic Empire
Type: 4X
Resolution: all available
Library used: SFML
Current Version: 1.05

Overview
Space exploration has split mankind into different factions each venturing out in space and creating their own colonies.
As the leader of one these factions it is your destiny to guide your people at exploring and conquering the known universe.
Find ancient artifacts to aid your goal and defeat all those who stand in your way.
It's your turn to create a Galactic Empire!

Download
1.05 Download @ FFH (~15MB, 02 March 2009)

1.0 Final Screenshots

Skirmish menu: here you can set some parameters for the randomly generated map

Research window: there 3 different researches, each with 3 levels

Diplomacy window: shows some info about each player and you can send them money to raise their alignment towards you

Standard view: typical view where you command your fleets around the map

Zoomed out view: usable for an overview of all starsystems
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:22:54 AM by AlZe »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: GalCon Clone
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
This seems like a very cool, but simple concept. Not sure how much there is challenege value. Will play it more later. BTW, I get 60 FPS. What are you doing to make it so demanding? Is this pure fbgfx? Anyway, the game should be easy to code in time-based mode, if it isn't already.

Anyway, what upgrades are you planning? This is WIP?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

AlZe

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:49:52 AM »
Well I use the rotozoom function of fbext to scale the planets and rotate the ships and this function is pretty demanding.
The reason why it's so slow is that I newly scale and rotate everything each frame which is totally unnecessary as planets don't change their size during the game.. so I have to change that and it should be way faster :)

It's in WIP because there is a known bug I couldn't get rid off yet (on rare occasions a planet can't send a fleet) and I'd like to improve the graphics.

I'm not sure how good my method is but the way I do timing is as in this example:
Code: [Select]
dim as single animation_timer

if timer > (animation_timer + .1) then      ' update every 100ms
end if

works very well in my opinion, fast machines are capped and on slower machines the game will run slower and not stutter

hd_

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 02:18:18 AM »
It would be nice that when I win, I am rewarded with a method to quit other than ctrl+alt+delete :)

It ran at 10/11 fps on my pc :P Get it working more efficiently please :)

You should include screenshots in the first post. Also, separate your bugs and feature list, because it sounded like 'aritfacts' referred to graphical glitches :P

Pretty fun actually, nice work ;)

(wow, I finished every setence with a smiley :O)

AlZe

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:56:26 AM »
Alright, I made a new version which gives me about 800fps, fast enough  :)

hd_: you need to press space, that's what I wrote.. anyway, I changed it so you can press any key now

changelist:
larger map with scrolling + minimap
2 enemies
rewrote code so it's faster

i'm open for ideas to improve the game.. if there's anything you like to see, let me hear it

hd_

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »
I knew you said you could quit, but I assumed it would be the escape key :P

bug: Select your planet then tell give the order to go the the same planet- locks the planet up.
bug: Although the planets are green, sometimes enemies have green planets (there are no numbers on them).
bug: Minimap selection doesn't let you scroll to the bottom of the screen? Also, pressing on the minimap unselects your selection.

Very good work so far :)

AlZe

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
I knew you said you could quit, but I assumed it would be the escape key :P

bug: Select your planet then tell give the order to go the the same planet- locks the planet up.
bug: Although the planets are green, sometimes enemies have green planets (there are no numbers on them).
bug: Minimap selection doesn't let you scroll to the bottom of the screen? Also, pressing on the minimap unselects your selection.

Very good work so far :)

thx for the feedback, I fixed all the bugs, will upload the new version tomorrow  :)
i also added a ship range limit which changes the strategy significantly in late game
and of course a new artifact which increases the ship range when found

good night

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 03:33:30 PM »
Hrm, didn't find any of these bugs. But I would like to see some doc on the gameplay mechanics. Opponent ships seem too move much faster than mine. Is this on purpose? Maybe it depends on the planets they are comming from. And what those planets with stars mean?

BTW, you do plan to add a menu or maybe a title screen. High scores?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

AlZe

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 03:46:44 PM »
Hrm, didn't find any of these bugs. But I would like to see some doc on the gameplay mechanics. Opponent ships seem too move much faster than mine. Is this on purpose? Maybe it depends on the planets they are comming from. And what those planets with stars mean?

BTW, you do plan to add a menu or maybe a title screen. High scores?

sorry, I should make it a habit posting more info about game mechanics ;)

the speed of the ships depends on their size which you can regulate with your mousewheel..
let's say you have a planet with 100 population and a fleet size of 25% then your fleet will have 25 "attack points" and move relatively fast
the larger the fleet the slower it gets
i set the computer opponents to use random fleet sizes each team they send a fleet so the computer fleets will have all kinds of different speeds

planets with stars have an artifact, there are 5 of them and each gives you a bonus if you own the planet:
+10% Population cap
+10% Ship speed
+10% Population grow
+10% Ship damage
+10% Ship range

once you have discovered an artifact you will know where it is, even when an opponent captures the planet with the artifact again

i guess i will add a menu and title screen at some point. any suggestion on how the score should be measured?

hd_

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: GalEmp (formerly GalCon Clone)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 04:17:26 AM »
I like the range limiter, definitely a good addition :)

bug: you are taking popultion away from the planets BOTH when you send and land on the other planets.

suggestion: ability to increase enemy activity/difficulty/stats. The game is fairly easy to win atm, but it would be fun to be allowed to surround the enemy, then increase their difficulty :P

AlZe

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 04:41:24 AM »
I like the range limiter, definitely a good addition :)

bug: you are taking popultion away from the planets BOTH when you send and land on the other planets.

suggestion: ability to increase enemy activity/difficulty/stats. The game is fairly easy to win atm, but it would be fun to be allowed to surround the enemy, then increase their difficulty :P

can you explain the bug in more detail, i don't quite understand.

hd_

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 04:57:10 AM »
The number on the planet goes down when you send a ship to another planet. When the ship arrives at the other planet, the original planets population goes down again. This also occured in the other versions it seems. Seems like a bug to me, unless it's the intended behaviour?

AlZe

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 05:05:55 AM »
holy shit, no it's not! i fixed it, thx  :)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 07:06:14 AM »
Damn, I didn't notice that. I'm loosing my touch.

hd_

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 08:39:13 AM »
Yeah, I thought it only took away once they landed in the other versions, but I missed it there as well.