gfxgfxFreeBASIC Games Directory Forumgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 14, 2018, 02:53:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
14.10.2018 - We are currently running a game dev competition with a 800 USD first prize, up until 14th of January, 2019. Check the official competition thread here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=623.0
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Two Lords will be released  (Read 4996 times)
Eponasoft
Novice

I Am... Kaiaphas.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »

At Lachie's request, I will be releasing Episode I of Two Lords in approximately two weeks. The final version of the game will come a couple of months later.
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »

Thanks for accepting my suggestion. This game really needs to be finished. I'm looking forward to the final version.

Those who missed previous Two Lords threads, this is a cool story-driven Hexen-style FPS based on Lithium's raycasting engine.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
Eponasoft
Novice

I Am... Kaiaphas.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 05:45:39 PM »

Here's some screenshots of the game in action. These were taken in 640x480 windowed mode with the mouse disabled. I must say, it's not nearly as easy to play with the mouse off, but right now it's required for windowed mode as the mouse easily goes out of bounds. Wish I knew how to keep the mouse inside the window, but that's an issue for another day. Anyways, on to the shots.

Title Screen

Demonstration mode - Brutus bites the dust

Main Menu

Act 01 begins

This is where you start at the very beginning of the game

The game includes several intense boss battles

The frozen caverns

An unholy cathedral filled with dangerous demons

Windows! Smiley

In 640x480 mode, the gameplay looks the same as in 320x240 mode, but all images are in high resolution. So, things like the title screen and the cutscenes look nice and crisp.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:53:58 PM by Eponasoft » Logged
Eponasoft
Novice

I Am... Kaiaphas.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:36:55 AM »

I may complete the Episode I release version today, provided nothing major happens around here. If so, I'll release it tonight, but if not then it will be no sooner than next weekend.
aave
Amoeba

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 06:02:47 AM »

I must say, it's not nearly as easy to play with the mouse off, but right now it's required for windowed mode as the mouse easily goes out of bounds. Wish I knew how to keep the mouse inside the window, but that's an issue for another day.
SetMouse ,,,1
That keeps the mouse inside the window. Or if you want to keep the cursor centered, use SetMouse screenW/2, screenH/2 in your main loop. screenW and H are the dimensions of the window.

Looking forward to test the game.
Eponasoft
Novice

I Am... Kaiaphas.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 06:46:36 AM »

That particular method fails for me. It might be a feature present only in later builds of FB. The second method makes the game freak out, so that doesn't work either. Ah well. Virtually everyone can run the game fullscreen in 640x480, so I'm not worried just yet.

I've run into a peculiar game freeze flaw in act 02 (ironically, the frozen caverns). I'm not yet sure what's causing it, but I'll release the game as soon as it's fixed.

EDIT: I implemented a workaround by simply making some minor changes to the map causing the issue. It fixes this particular lockup, but it doesn't solve the real problem...I have no idea what's really causing it, so the chance of later lockups is likely. I will give the whole demo a runthrough and see if I can find any additional lockups. Once I've cleared as much as possible, I'll package this up and release it.

EDIT 2: Act 03 also contains a lockup area, probably in the same map coordinate. Only this time, I can't simply modify the map and make it go away. I've got to actually fix the flaw. Might not end up being able to release today after all.

EDIT 3: It appears to be some kind of render error in Chris' code. I've circumvented it by shifting the map down 1 cell on the Y axis in the load code. It took a little code touching-up afterward, but everything appears to be in perfect working order now. Naturally, this didn't fix the actual cause of the issue, but it prevents the issue from ever occurring. I will prepare a release now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:02:52 AM by Eponasoft » Logged
Eponasoft
Novice

I Am... Kaiaphas.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:02:11 AM »

Hey, this thread still exists. Smiley

In case anyone's still wondering...no, this game was never completed, but yes, I still have plans to complete it. However, I have not touched the code in some time now. Level design was completed months ago, but I was in the middle of adding some additional state machines to the game engine and fixing up existing ones, most notably with movement. The other major issue was one of graphics rendering...I had only completed about half of the cutscene graphics.

About a month ago, I wiped Windows off of my system and installed FreeBSD 7.2. There was a thought that it would be the end of this project. However, I have since then discovered the joys of WINE...not only does my game run through WINE, but the tool I use for cutscene rendering, Poser 4.03 Professional, also runs...and BETTER than it runs in Windows! It is highly ironic that program written for Windows actually perform better through WINE than when running natively. But alas, such is truth. And of course, the great thing is that fpp/fbc also run fine, so I can continue to code the game.

Furthermore, I have also started remapping the game using yadex. Using the Vavoom game engine as a base, I am bringing about a 3D version of the game. This allows me to construct the maps based on the game I was most inspired by...Heretic. I mapped out a version of the original first level in yadex, then started constructing a newer version that looks much better. The new version will still have the same amount of levels and episodes, but it will be much more expansive and, of course, in a more proper form of 3D than just a simple raycaster. Of course, this is not in FB so no one here probably cares Smiley but there are no Heretic-type engines in FB that I know about so such is life. After all...I'm not a code monkey, I'm a game designer who knows a little about coding. So oh well. Smiley

But back to the FB version...the game does feature full keyboard control now, and pretty much all of the options work. There's still work to be done of course, and I hope to finally bring this one to completion by the end of the year.
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 04:28:58 PM »

Looking forward to that... Smiley

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: