gfxgfxFreeBASIC Games Directory Forumgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 18, 2018, 09:09:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
14.09.2014 - Check the results of our latest game dev competition here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=606.0
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Den RPG [last modified April 18 '09]  (Read 5394 times)
Mitchell
Forum Howler

Rockin Geek

View Profile Email
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:53:53 PM »

I've starting up a new project for a 3d rpg, Den.

About it:
-To run with a decent frame rate on a machine that isn't a high performer.
-No textures (Smooth shading)
-Simple modeling package (What I'm mostly working on now)
-Uses OpenGL
-Custom Font (That was a pickle, but it's finished)
-I'll try to add my own music in game
-Have some active NPCs (if I have enough cycles)
-Modable? (easier than it sounds)
-Multiple story-lines (Already have some plots ready)

Purpose:
For entertainment, and to make software that I could use elsewhere. But the main purpose is for my own entertainment, and possibly yours if I finish (I hope to eventually, but it is a very large project). Also, this will, by far, be my largest work. As of now, my largest program - completed or not - was my submitted t tanks. I think I'm long overdue for something greater than 2000 lines of code. May take many months, perhaps over a year, but at least I'll come out with something useful.

Plot:
You're the child of a Royal Minor family (this is better explained in-game), and just graduated from a prestigious university in a different nation. One little problem though, the nation you're in has formed an alliance against the other nation in the past few months, which also forms another alliance in response. It's a three-way, but with two political sides (again, better explained in-game), and the threat of the war cause borders to close. This is when the game takes off, after graduation day.

Important people:
I've got the names of people and places, but I'm not saying them  because I may still alter them.
The first person you see (when you start a new game) is your roommate and friend. He's loyal to the current nation. You also have a family back home, but they're at the breaking point with some loyal to the royal major families and those who wish to rebel. Politically, the whole continent is fractured.

Okay, don't want to spoil it for you. Or for me  Cheesy.

[edit]
ScreenShot! Of the modeler. Well, it's a text-based modeler. Tongue
The purpose is for ease of making, editing, and fixing in-game models. Also reduces RAM requirements.
*old image removed*
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:36:33 PM by Mitchell » Logged

Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. Tongue
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »

I like this:

Be sure to keep us up to date with the development.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
Mitchell
Forum Howler

Rockin Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 03:21:36 PM »

I like this:

Be sure to keep us up to date with the development.

Okay. The reason for no textures is that I want to have it run for those of us who don't have the fastest computers.

Never underestimate the destructive powers of somebody doing something new without having any clue of how to do it. Tongue
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »

If it's OpenGL then the speed will greatly depend on the video card. If the user has some old card not supporting OpenGL you can make your program super simple it will still crawl on their PCs. I remember having to run some of old syn9 demos in 320*240 and 8-bit to get like 8 FPS on my old PC.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
Mitchell
Forum Howler

Rockin Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:34:37 PM »

If it's OpenGL then the speed will greatly depend on the video card. If the user has some old card not supporting OpenGL you can make your program super simple it will still crawl on their PCs. I remember having to run some of old syn9 demos in 320*240 and 8-bit to get like 8 FPS on my old PC.

For the latter case, there's not much I can do. But for the middle-aged computers (like the one I'm working on), I hope to have Den run at a good stable frame rate.

And the (incomplete) todo list is on http://mentat.camelcoding.com/?den-todo.html . I'll try to have that updated frequently, and put more stuff up there such as demos, engines, and software.

[edit]
*Old Image removed*
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:41:32 AM by Mitchell » Logged

Mitchell
Forum Howler

Rockin Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:16:28 PM »

Major update.

I started working on some of the design and story. The modeler also progressed along quite a bit, and the basic object hierarchy is nearing completion.

Here's something I made up in paint for a family shield (based on in-game story).

Once the mod is done I'll pop it in and show the results.

*edit for Jan 17 2009*
Here's something I made up for the game as for creatures (and pets) in the environment:

It's supposed to be a carnivorous mammal, not a reptile. My scanner doesn't pick up too well on pencil sketches, but it beats my sorry paint drawings.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 07:51:05 PM by Mitchell » Logged

Mitchell
Forum Howler

Rockin Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:39:51 AM »

Large update

I've finished the .DOM binary file format, which is how the game data (maps, models, rooms) is set up.

Closely related, the Den modeler itself is nearing completion. The saving function has been tested and successfully completed. So as of now, you could put in your data in, save, and the file is ready to go.

If anybody's curious, (url)here's the file format(/url). It looks more confusing and complex than it actually is. It's mostly recursive, with the whole qualifier thing is just to keep track of where you are at that point. As you can see, the naming system is for things like modeling the graphics of a building; then another map model can call it by name.

And (url)here's sample code that could load the file format(/url). Again, it looks more confusing than it is; partially because I put in debugging info.

Finally, when I ran the above code (but tweaked it so it would save to a file) on a sample .DOM file, I got (url)This(/url)

The latest Modeler screen shot (I'll pull the others down soon):

rolliebollocks
Novice

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:36:13 PM »

That TUI rocks.
Mitchell
Forum Howler

Rockin Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »

Thanks. I had to make something easy on the eyes and not so boring to look at.

That, and I'm too lazy to look up windows programming, so I reused some old code, tweaked somethings, through in screen 12, added a whole lot of global variables, curved the corners, and viola!

Mitchell
Forum Howler

Rockin Geek

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 08:33:37 PM »

Mar 18 Den update:

Some good news and bad news.

First the good news: The modeler is almost completely finished. There is a loading bug where it makes an additional empty object when it should be closing the file. Besides that, it works pretty well. Also, I have started plans for the combat engine and the character classes. And some hand drawn maps too.

Bad news: [background story]Our school has a laptop program where each student gets a laptop to have until graduation. As it so happens, I'm graduating in a few months. So, I will only have my old desktop. Yes, it runs Windows, yes it runs the FBC, and yes, it could theoretically turn on. But it has some problems of it's own. Well, it's a platform that freebasic can run on. But after this summer, I'm moving off to college, without the desktop. Which happens to be my only computer that can (albeit slowly) run the FBC.[/background story] So the bad news summed up: I've got till the end of summer to get the project finished (or figure a way to port to a Mac). I've got till the end of May until I turn in my only FB-friendly computer that can boot up under a half dozen minutes.

On the bright side, my DT has a scanner, so I can convert my maps (if I can find them) to an electronic form.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:36:58 PM by Mitchell » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: