10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: [ASCII-Roguelike] Alzir  (Read 3163 times)

mambazo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
[ASCII-Roguelike] Alzir
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:46:59 PM »
EDIT:- Sorry, can a mod move this to the appropriate forum please. Accidently put it in showcase instead of WIP[dead]. Thanks.

Alzir is a roguelike. Worked a very long time on it, but stopped a few months ago. So, as a result, it is unfinished. However, the full source for it is available in the link below. It should compile in both linux and windows.

The menu interface is quite new to the roguelike genre, and there are over 2000 randomly generated magic items to find & equip.

Do enjoy!

http://h1.ripway.com/mambazo/Alzir_source.zip
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:19:56 PM by mambazo »

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: [ASCII-Roguelike] Alzir
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »
I liked the interface when I originally played the game for some 15 minutes.

So this version now is legit for FBGD?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »
Ahh, very nice.  I still like the interface as well, so great job on the innovation (coming from a die-hard ADOM fan).  :)

Small notice... monsters in a line won't pathfind their way around one another into an attacking position.  Perhaps this is just AI based, as I wouldn't expect snotlings to be too smart.

Leonheart

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:53:04 PM »
Go go go!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 12:48:53 PM »
Erm, how about a constructive comment on the game?

Ok, I wasn't much useful too (I'm really busy right not), but "Go go go!"

WTF?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Leonheart

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 12:40:57 AM »
Worked a very long time on it, but stopped a few months ago. So, as a result, it is unfinished

Then:

Go go go! = Send a spririt for finished them up! That's for, :P

mambazo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 06:18:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback folks :) I really must finish Alzir sometime, I've been distracted with Boondog lately! I've actually created a substantial portion of this game in "Second Life" too. Seems I have trouble finishing games. lol

About the AI, yes, its not even A* yet. I just threw in a basic AI while testing. A game like this is incredibly hard to balance. I had no idea until I started making it.

The source code is available if anyone wants to pick up where I left off. Just drop me an email. (mambazo[blat]gmail[blot]com)