10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: It's finally ready!  (Read 3180 times)

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
It's finally ready!
« on: April 22, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
The long-promised, and in some cases long-awaited, Game Resource Archive (GRA) system!  After much debugging, fixing, writing documentation and example programs, and general mayhem, I've finally decided I'm ready to release.  I may add some more things later, but I can't keep adding things forever - eventually I've got to release.  Lachie particularly wants me to release it so he can use it for his game.

So here it is at long last.  Full HTML documentation is included, as well as plenty of examples.  There is also something called selectable file system which should be especially helpful to game writers;  it allows you to switch between loading from a GRA and loading from the file system, so while testing you can load from the disk (making it easier to make modifications to important files on the fly) and when you're ready to release you can put everything in a GRA.  Note that you can also copy files from GRA to disk, which is helpful if you have text files in the GRA and you want to be able to use FreeBASIC's text file routines (Input #, Line Input #, etc.)  There are tons of features and the best way to find out about them is to download the whole thing.

Enjoy!  Any bug reports/suggestions/requests/comments/etc. should be posted here.

http://notthecheatr.phatcode.net/downloads/gra.zip
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:39:49 PM by notthecheatr »
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: It's finally ready!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 03:13:29 PM »
That's very nice, only, can I access BMP files from my GRA files without having to extract them on the disk, and how?

Then again, I can delete them right after I load them, right?

Anyway, I tested the compression and it really didn't compress the only BMP file I placed in my GRA file.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 04:34:17 PM »
Only if you have a BMP-loading routine.  fbpng lets you do it from memory, but if you're doing BMPs you'll have to extract to disk, load, then delete.

Yes, that's how I'd do it.

I believe that's been fixed.  Stupid bug :P

Leonheart

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:44:34 PM »
Nice  ;) Finally that deflate64 can be useful. Just because I'm retire from game-dev-tools for some month (d*rn crazy non-fb project with over than 10000 code lines  :P), I still don't forget about plan to load bmp directly from memory (and other format too like tga and gif)  8).
Maybe we can colaborate after it finished?  ;D

You with your "GRA" format and me with "mc˛" format with the same component?  :P

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:29:44 AM »
It's certainly a possibility.  Your mc2 format was part of what inspired me to make GRA.  And of course I used your code for compression :)