10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Pinball Re-Construction Set  (Read 3074 times)

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
Pinball Re-Construction Set
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »
I have been toying around with remaking a game I used to love called Pinball Construction Set. Basically it was a set of tools which allowed the user to make their own pinball games, and also compile them so they could be distributed without distributing the entire app.

To start, I have have worked out the basic components of a pinball machine. These steps will gradually lead to a completed construction set that I've decided to call....

Pinball Re-Construction Set (such an original title!)

Step 1: Conceptual Design
Step 2: Create stand-alone pinball game using created components
Step 3: Create application to assemble your own pinball game.

I have finished step 1. A conceptual art layout can be seen here....
www.ftpisland.com/files/prcset.jpg

As far as pinball components, I have come up with the following list...

1. Flippers
2. Triangle Bumpers
3. Round Bumpers
4. Knock Down Targets
5. Rollovers
6. Magnets
7. Spinners
8. Gates
9. Bonus Holes
10. Ramps
11. Launchers

Adjustable variables.

1. Gravity
2. Friction
3. Reflection
5. Table Tilt Angle
6. Speed
7. Number of Balls
8. Scoring
9. Bonus
10. Artwork

I am hoping to get to step 2 in 6-8 weeks. I will post BETAs for feedback when I get things working.

Cheers!
-Vince
Cheers!
-Vince

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Re: Pinball Re-Construction Set
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
I'm excited about this. I always wanted to make my own pinball game, but there were quite few obstacles in the way. I mean, I did learn how to code one few months ago (from relsoft's ball to wall collision tutorial), but I guess I didn't want to waste time on coding an engine without being sure I could hack up a playable pinball game.

If you complete this, this will be really cool. I will have an opportunity to freely attempt to design my own pinball game, and if I fail, no biggie. I just wasted some time in initial design. Also, as it is a FB program, I will be able to alter/add small pieces of code if needed.

Cool.

Please continue working on this.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

nkk_kan

• Forum Howler
  • Let's rocK~!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nkk_kan
    • View Profile
    • nkk's code cache
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:37:15 AM »
Shouldn't you do step 3 before step 2?
that way, you'll have the chance to properly test your application
and have a pinball game as well.

vdecampo

• Forum Howler
  • Apocalypse is Forever!
    • View Profile
    • Easton Computers
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:05:12 PM »
No. Step 2 allows me to test all the components and their interactions. Step 3 required me to design a GUI for assembling those components. I can hard code a game for test purposes.

-Vince
Cheers!
-Vince