gfxgfxFreeBASIC Games Directory Forumgfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2017, 06:57:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
14.09.2014 - Check the results of our latest game dev competition here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=606.0
gfx
gfx
gfxgfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx
gfxgfx Home Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Armour Ranger (early demo)  (Read 11236 times)
ssjx
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »

Hi,
I thought i would upload a preview of the game i am currently working on. It is the turrican type game i mentioned about in the chuckie egg topic.

It is an early preview and as such has a lot of things missing and am i  aware of most of the games problems!

At the moment their is no real aim to the game but you can wander around a large cave and shoot some things! I have left the energy set very high so it is not easy to actually die either so press escape to exit.

Things that are working include:

* Turrican style stream weapon!
* Destructable blocks!
* Many enemies!
* Cool little explosions!

No source is included at the moment. I will probably not be uploading many previews as it will kinda ruin the final game (assuming i finish it)...

Timing may be a bit off so there is a chance it may run either too fast or too slow.

Here's the link:

http://www.ssjx.co.uk/windows/armour.php

Anyway, Enjoy!
BadMrBox
Forum Sage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »

Ok, I downloaded and started this puppy up. First off, the timing is totally off, I mostly just see a blur of things when moving around. Secondly, the character moves like a drugged-up Michael Jackson when I try to use the stream weapon and point it at any direction. Undecided

It's cool with destructive blocks thought. Smiley

notthecheatr
Global Moderator
Forum Sage

Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?

notthecheatr TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:10:48 PM »

I like the concept, but like BadMrBox said the timing is bad.  Try fps-based motion.  If you polish this game up I think you can get a good 12 or 14 on FBGD Wink

The funniest thing happened yesterday.
ssjx
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:25:37 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

I seem to have trouble get timing working well, on my computer things run near perfect (if a little slow!). I think i will put a bit more effort into frame rate consistant rate. I may take a look at fps motion, i think i dismissed it because it looked over complicated for what i need.

Not sure about the animation, but i aim to get a few more frames in for when he points the stream weapon!
ssjx
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 02:41:48 AM »

Okay, i changed the frame limiting bit, it now runs slow on my computer so hopefully it will work better on other peoples...

The frame rate should be locked at 200fps. It seems a bit high to be honest, but i suppose if the player is moving
1 pixel at a time then moving about 6 blocks per second does not seem to bad...

I would be greatful for feedback to whether this is better (or worse!). I will still look into better frame limiting methods.

The zip is currently still armour_p1.zip but it should display 'preview 1a' on the intro screen.

Thanks again!  Smiley
Hezad
Novice

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 02:56:41 AM »

cool Smiley Graphics are nice and game could become pretty addicting but :

- It's way too slow on my machine (Yep upper posts were saying the opposite..)
- I guess it's related to slowness : Jumping is so much slower that other movements :s I have to wait perhaps 1 or 2 seconds before the character touches the ground.

Specs :
Win 2000, AMD Sempron 3000, 512 Mo RAM, GeForce FX 5200

But still, I'm pretty sure it can become a great game Smiley

ssjx
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »

Just an update, it looks like fps-motion is the way to go. Although the program will not sleep during the main loop it should stay at a constant rate. Currently the game is showing around 400 frames/sec but it is playing at the correct speed so it appears to be working.

I will upload a newer demo in a few days  with luck (new timing method broke the player/scenery collision detection...), once that is all working i will get on with adding the rest of the game!

Thanks for the feedback!
Hezad
Novice

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »

I'm waiting for this future demo Smiley

Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 02:57:56 PM »

HmmÖwith problems reported regarding yours and Hezadís new game Iím starting to lose faith in time-based movement.

But if you are going to use a FPS limiting engine, you should really go with 100 FPS. Thatís quite enough to have fluid animation and objects movement. Really. But Iím not sure if you will have will to optimize all your variables to fit this FPS. Perhaps you could implement a factor named ďglobal_speedĒ, connect it will all movement//animation variables, and allow the user to set it in a setup menu.

Anyway, on my PC the game jumps from 80 FPS to 120 something. I donít know what you are doing to cause such jumpiness, although the game doesnít feel jumpy. Only a bit slow. But yeah, if you aimed for 200 FPS thatís natural.

Anyway, cool demo. Iím a Turrican fan. I like how you coded the engine. The collision seems to work perfectly. Only, the game doesnít feel quite fluid and smooth. The movement is too wooden.

The graphics are ok. I mean, they are consistent.

Hopefully youíll finish this. Unlike Chuckie Egg. Wink

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
ssjx
Forum Howler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:56:47 AM »

So far converting to fps based motion is not too difficult, basically changing lots of:

x+=xdir
y+=ydir

to

x+=(xdir*movestep)
y+=(ydir*movestep)

where 'movestep' is the time difference (i don't have the exact calculation with me..).

The (only?) advantage of removing sleep from my main loop is that it does free up a huge amount of time during which i can add more game features. I would really like some parallax layers because it looks cool!

The main thing that needs changing is the player/scenery collision, at the moment it checks 1pixel off the player and if it hits a scenery box, it prevents the player moving. This works fine if the player moves in 1pixel increments but using fps motion this may not always be the case and it causes the player to stick inside scenery. The solution i will try is that control will not be prevented but the blocks will force the player out. All being well, it should appear no different.

I will also try and finish chuckie egg by the end of next month  in time for the next fbgd update Smiley  This new game has a more optimised colliision and scrolling function than chuckie so i will drop that straight in and maybe add a few more levels and sounds....
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 04:56:16 AM by ssjx » Logged
Dr_D
Forum Sage

dr_davenstein
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 03:48:10 PM »

Not bad so far. I don't like the way the guy falls though... It seems to be locked at a certain speed. Well, actually, that's normal, but maybe it just feels a bit sluggish.
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 04:56:50 PM »

Yeah. I think it would be much cooler if both jumping and moving featured acceleration. Well, at least jumping to some extent.

Anyway, you can always do some extra checkups with speeds higher than 1 pixels, which BTW, can't be avoided in time-based movement on slow PCs.

Like move the characters 3 pixels right. If collision with a tile is true, set player's position to collided tile X position - player X width. Or something like that. But yes, it would be a perfect world if we could work only with movement speeds under 1 pixel.

"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist
Ryan
Novice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 10:50:05 PM »

Just wanted to say cool demo and keep up the good work. Cool
Conexion
Recruit

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 11:53:24 AM »

Good start, I love the way you converted the bmp file for your map. Couple of notes

- It feels really difficult to shoot the bad guys... I know they're there as obstacles, but people like shooting things!

- If you hold up, you just automatically jump from one ledge to the other... almost floating instead of jumping.

- Maybe more bonuses and different guns you could pick up!

On the right track though, keep it up!
Lachie Dazdarian
Double dipper
Administrator
Forum Sage

lachie13
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »

Erm...I found killing baddies quite easy. You did use the Streamer?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: