10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: What music have you been listening lately?  (Read 15461 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
What music have you been listening lately?
« on: December 26, 2007, 11:44:13 AM »
Out of cat's curiosity I decided to check some of old-school heavy metal so I downloaded Manowar's Hail to England and Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast. Iron Maiden provides a lot more, but both albums turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I guess I expected harder and undistinguishable mindless metal rampage. This is all rather pleasant. Sounds more like hard rock than heavy metal. Especially Iron Maiden. Well, I guess nu metal changed things. Then again I tried with Slayer and trash metal is not my thing (a lot harder).

What else?

Davie Bowie’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust fully delivered and it truly is a classic. Again, I expected something else (more rock stuff), but I haven’t got any problems with folk-rock either.

Also, James Blunt is still in picture (got all his stuff) and Robbie Williams' Intensive Care.

Yeah, my taste is rather varied. But I really think James Blunt is unfairly underrated and dismissed by many. If I can listen to Iron Maiden and James Blunt, SO CAN YOU! :P

Oh, well.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

aleofjax

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
Re: What music have you been listening lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 01:21:50 PM »
Well, I just got a Hewey Lewis and the News vinyl from a friend for Christmas. They're one of my all time favorites! Of course, I haven't listened to it; it's still unopened, and I intend to keep it that way!

You may now commence kicking the old fscker.
-- Don't quote me on that

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »
Hewey Lewis?

Wikipedia doesn't know who's (or is it what) that.

:?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 03:31:02 PM »
Lachie, try huey lewis. Either way, it's not an artist I have ever heard before :-[.

I haven't listened to anything particular recently, I just listen randomly to whatever is on my computer and that's everything from manowar - iron maiden - ozzy - mustasch - manson...

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 03:49:37 PM »
You metal lunkhead!

Oh, wait.

Never mind.

P.S.

What do you recommend from Manowar?

aleofjax

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »
Lachie, try huey lewis. Either way, it's not an artist I have ever heard before :-[.

Well, I never claimed to be able to spell  :-[

Anyway, I'm sure you've heard some of their stuff. You've seen back to the future, right?

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 07:17:22 PM »
I fancy myself an intellectual, I listen to classical music... mostly Beethoven, some Bach, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky as well.
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »
What do you recommend from Manowar?
Basically everything they done I guess. Take note that Manowar is not one of my favoritebands - I don't know much about them, I only have one album with them (that I dont know the title of) but I have without a single doubt heard every damn song they have ever recorded. Many of my friends are into them, for me they are a great 'listen to in the background' band. If I should recommend some then 'Warriors of the world' is one. I think I liked the album hell on earth III.
I fancy myself an intellectual, I listen to classical music... mostly Beethoven, some Bach, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky as well.
Classical music and metal are related, thats great. I can, at times, listen to classic music at work in the mornings. Keeps me from beating the snot out of random people some times.

SSC

• Recruit
  • R[a]wr
    • MSN Messenger - smithcosoft@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smithcosoft
    • View Profile
    • SmithcoSoft Creations
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 11:57:44 PM »
I listen to just about every kind of music you could imagine, Mostly I listen to techo and rock/metal. I recently downloaded  "Voices of the Lifestream" a 4 CD Album of remixed final fantasy 7 music from ocremix.org I like most of them, but there are a few that I really like a lot.

aleofjax

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 03:23:10 AM »
If you like remixed game music, you've got to hear the minibosses! I think they still have a myspace music page. I love their rendition of the megaman soundtrack!

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
Oh yeah, remixed game music is good.  I like Final Fantasy music, Nobuo Oematsu is a genius.  And movie soundtracks.
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 11:23:40 AM »
Crossfade non-stop (not literally, but close enough) for over a year now.

Subliminal-Prodigy.  Some Nobuo Uematsu every month or so.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 05:44:36 PM »
I've tried some of Nobuo Oematsu works and I can’t say I’m impressed or hooked. I checked two tracks of The Black Mages, one from FF VIII (Eyes on Me), and two from FF VII. I don’t know. Some tracks have good parts, like the guitar riffs, but then they sink into…hmm, computer game-like sounds. Others…very average pop mainstream. Eyes on Me. Really. If it was a Celine Dion song would you care about it? I mean, I would. Celine Dion rocks (shut up). But I’m sure you wouldn’t.

Anyway, I don’t have time nor bandwidth to explore his huge body of works. Didn’t catch on.

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 09:29:40 PM »
Some tracks have good parts, like the guitar riffs, but then they sink into…hmm, computer game-like sounds.
Some limitations of the hardware he was working with :-/

They go along really good with the games is all.  I mean, you can imagine the music and you basically see the game in front of you after having played it.

E.K.Virtanen

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 11:13:39 PM »
I like bit harder stuff than "average basic programmer", but it might be up to fact that i am not a programmer, im more like a constant noob  ;D
Children of bodom, In flames, Sabaton, Dio, Pantera, Sepultura. Very good christmas music.