10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: I'm canceling BASIC Gaming  (Read 6727 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
I'm canceling BASIC Gaming
« on: February 09, 2013, 07:12:29 AM »
I am saddened to announce the cancellation of BASIC Gaming.

The cancellation was pretty much fixed for about month and a half now, but I was failing the find the energy, time and concentration during the last few weeks to even start compiling the farewell issue (whether along build content for it), which is making my original decision to cancel it in the first place even more firm.

Sadly, the current dynamic in both my personal and professional life is making it very difficult for me to dedicate to BASIC Gaming in a manner I would like to, and the little amount of the free time (as I perceive it) I can allocate for my own personal hobbies is simply turning the work on BASIC Gaming into a frustrating chore. And I'm sure there are no winners if I pursue to work on it in such conditions.

What I realized during the last few months is that I simply don't posses the capacity to juggle social life, work on FBGD, BASIC Gaming and pursuing my game design ambitions (which mainly means improving my skills in several areas, at the moment), so something got to give. I'm quite eager and interested to pursue my own game design needs at this moment of life so I simply have to give up on BASIC Gaming.

I wish I could manage my free time better and be more productive in general, but sadly I need a lot of time to get started and concentrate, and so many projects running in parallel are turning me into mush.

I wish to thank everyone who supported the project during its running time, and I hope to see you around, mostly in the capacity of a fellow hobbyist game developer. Of course, I will continue to support FBGD and game development in FreeBASIC, via this site and sponsoring competitions.

BASIC Gaming can return at any time, but in all honesty, chances for that are very small.

Take care, everyone! See you around!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:40:12 AM by Lachie Dazdarian »
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
Re: I'm canceling BASIC Gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »
Sad to see BASIC Gaming go but I totally understand you.

SMC

• Recruit
  • 9999HP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this, but you've got to do what's best for yourself.  The issues you did are gold.  Hopefully someone else will take up the torch.

FotonCat

• Amoeba
    • ICQ Messenger - 190720134
    • View Profile
    • FotonCat Soft
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:11:24 AM »
Very sad you're cancelling this magazine which I very liked to read. I've checked FBGD every week to see new issue of this interesting magazine. Anyway I wish you good luck with your new model of realizing dreams into matherial form! Thank you! :)

Btw, anybody knows other regular magazines dedicated to FreeBasic or any other Basic language?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:12:39 AM by FotonCat »
FotonCat Soft

ecxjoe

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Delta Code
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »
It was my article, wasn't it? It was that bad.

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »
In what stage is the new Toadman now?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

ecxjoe

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Delta Code
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
It's making progress, albeit slowly. I recently updated my blog with an update on the progress.