10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Seeking to Conglomerate Forces for Game Competition (Inquire Within...)  (Read 13040 times)

phycowelder

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seeking to Conglomerate Forces for Game Competition (Inquire Within...)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 12:43:19 PM »
that is a cool wave race game!

KristopherWindsor

• Forum Sage
  • The Thirsty Smiley
    • View Profile
    • Reddit/r/pics
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
@KW:
Interesting idea, but I think a bit unrealistic.  It's going to take you a long time to do all those things.

I know about completing large projects. ;-)

In this game, though, I need more graphics than in previous games, and the graphics and level design will make or break the game.
So it won't take too long to make the game, but I'll need some help with the GFX and level design for it to work well. :)

Tusike

• Novice
    • MSN Messenger - varnaipeti@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
For the game controls
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 01:30:58 PM »
I advise you to use these:

Accelerate - UP
Turn         - LEFT/RIGHT arrows
Break        - DOWN
Use missile - SPACE

-Tusike

duke4e

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »
http://duke4e.sitesled.com/fluid_race_fb.rar

Here's a FB version. Code is crappy, and some features are trimmed down, but at least it works. If it's too slow, change DivConst = 48 to DivConst = 48 * 2 or DivConst = 48 * 4, depending on your pc...

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 04:53:06 PM »
I must admit. I expected something more solid. This is really an engine, and not a game. Anyway, perhaps its code can be educational for me. Then again, it's not commented. Hrm.

Perhaps I should write an article about this, entitled «Why you should comment your code?»

And KW, you should really specify in details the gfx you need. Like the resolution you'll work in (the default one), sizes of main game sprites (preferred), what are they (cars, track tiles, etc.), how they should look, how many of them, image file format you prefer, graphics style, etc. You really can’t expect for people to do bunch of different things and then incorporate that into a single coherent game. Then again, I did notice that graphical design is low on your list of game dev priorities. Well, at least when it comes to Orb and UnAlien. And I'm presonally more motivated to work for someone else when I have specific requirements layed out.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist