10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Game Recommendation  (Read 10898 times)

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Recommendation
« on: May 18, 2008, 12:57:21 AM »
I normally don't do this, because believe it or not, I rarely play video games.  Occasionally, I'll pick up an old SNES game when I don't want to work, but it's not because I particularly enjoy the game - I just want to pass the time until I'm up for working again.

This time something's changed.  A friend recommended me a game called "Cave Story" the other day.  I was skeptical at first.  "What the hell kind of name is Cave Story?", I thought.  Don't let the name turn you off.  I was hooked the moment I started playing, and I didn't latch off until the end.  I haven't wanted to play through a game after beating it in years... Cave Story awoke in me something I've been missing in games for a long time.

There are only one flaw in Cave Story - It leaves you craving for more.

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
  • Who's the guy from 21 Jump Street?
    • AOL Instant Messenger - notthecheatr
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - TheMysteriousStrangerFromMars
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
Re: Game Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:30:25 AM »
Cool.  I looked at the trailer and it looked pretty cool.  Have to try this out some time (I'm downloading it now).
The funniest thing happened yesterday.

Josiah Tobin

• Recruit
    • MSN Messenger - josiah_tobin@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:36:57 AM »
Played it a good while ago, got stuck early on on some giant frog thingy, didn't really have the interest to pick it up again. Seemed pretty nifty from what I played, and the story seemed interesting, but as a game it's just not really up my alley I guess. Kind of a shame, cause I'd like to see how it ends.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:28:03 PM by Josiah Tobin »

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:48:30 AM »
@Josiah:

Considering you did the art for LL, I was expecting a different response.  I would have expected this game to be right up your alley :P  I never ran into any such troubles you speak of.  Heheh...

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 09:37:36 AM »
Yeah, I've played the game a while ago too. I think I picked up a word about it in the www.create-games.com community. It is definitely a true masterpiece, in all possible aspects. I especially like the game engine. It's perfect.

I got stuck at the end and couldn't beat the final boss, the second part of it. Later I read one of the walkthroughs and realized that some choices I made earlier in the game cut me short for certain weapons that could help me beat the end boss easier. That's another cool thing about Cave Story. Its non-linear linearity. :P

So yes, I'm joining to this recommendation. Anyway, the game is still on my hard disk. I will definitely return to it.

I also recommend some of you to check Cave Story fan sites and find an interview with the game author. He seems to be a one-game developer. Interesting.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 12:10:48 PM »
I also recommend some of you to check Cave Story fan sites and find an interview with the game author. He seems to be a one-game developer. Interesting.
That was the strangest thing to read... Only one game?  Over 5 years?  Sheesh.  Maybe this is related to Japanese lifestyles or something...

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 01:30:54 PM »
I can't find the interview right know, but what I remember from it the guy gave up on game design completely. And Cave Story was developed for a really long time, with some mini-games released in between, derivatives of the game engine. Not sure if those games were public. That was one of his advices...to take projects slow and long...perfect both the game and your skill in the process. Not sure I have the discipline for that. I have to release. :P
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 08:03:24 AM »
Played a little bit yesterday.  I don't like the dark and mundane atmosphere, I guess I like more colorful art but that's just me.  Nevertheless, it seems a pretty fun game.  I also really like the theme song from the title page - so freaking addicting, I sometimes don't make it past the title screen into the game because I'm too busy listening to the music xD

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 10:43:36 AM »
The dark and modern atmosphere? :P

Josiah Tobin

• Recruit
    • MSN Messenger - josiah_tobin@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 01:35:21 PM »
@Josiah:

Considering you did the art for LL, I was expecting a different response.  I would have expected this game to be right up your alley :P  I never ran into any such troubles you speak of.  Heheh...
Huh? What's doing the graphics for LL got to do with me enjoying the game? :P (I did enjoy what I played, but I just lost interest)

Lots of platformers/sidescrollers just aren't for me. I'm not very good at the majority of them, and a lot of the times the gameplay just doesn't particularly grab me for some reason.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:27:52 PM by Josiah Tobin »

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »
Bonesaw! was rather fun as far as I got into it but hard at points. Some annoyance is garanteed at the parts with the balls too.

notthecheatr

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • notthecheatr Home
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »
The dark and modern atmosphere? :P

No, mundane.  As in, not a lot happening even though a lot is happening.  Y'know?

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 02:08:28 PM »
I see.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:09:32 PM by Pritchard »

Leonheart

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 10:57:31 PM »
Now you guys playing with emulator eh? Gwwaaahaaaa haaaaa haa
Start want turn become a ProGamer not a Programmer.... :P

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 04:17:37 PM »
Cave Story is a Windows program.