10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Author Topic: Another competition?  (Read 9778 times)

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lachie13
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
Another competition?
« on: October 07, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »
Hi friends!

Most of you prolly got here via my message/email pointing you to this thread.

I'm planning to organize one FINAL FreeBASIC game dev competition, at least one organized by me, and I would like to check out the pulse of the people who still linger around the community (lingered a couple of years ago), if they would be interested to participate. It would prolly last for about 3 months and be FREEBASIC themed. You know, like a FreeBASIC horse fighting C++ robots. It would be an hommage to FreeBASIC thematically, besides entries being programmed in FreeBASIC.

I am funding the first place prize with 200 USD, and second with 50 USD. If anyone is willing to beef up the prize pool, let me know.

Anyway, would love to hear what do you think of my ideas. It's a chance for everyone to either give their farewell to FreeBASIC, or simply express love for all it gave to them for the past, how many years?
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

landeel

• Forum Howler
  • http://cmcgames.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
Re: Another competition?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
Count me in, of course! 
I hope someone beats me this time! ;D

BadMrBox

• Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • BadMrBox.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 10:33:36 AM »
I'm in!
FOR THE HORDE! (or any other approriate battlecry)

Dr_D

• Forum Sage
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dr_davenstein
    • View Profile
    • Dr_D's apps
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »
Sounds like fun! I'll try... But I'm even more limited on time than I used to be. Can we have teams?

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 12:33:10 PM »
Teams are allowed. And due the holidays, I think I'm going to make it a 3 months things. Ending mid Jan, early February.
"Things like Basic and Free Basic provide much-needed therapy and a return to sanity and a correct appreciation of people. The arrogant folk really hate a word like 'Basic' - fine, and good riddance." ~ pragmatist

Zamaster

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »
I'm in. This community had a huge impact on my career, my interests, etc... It would feel good to send it off with a final game comp.

Pritchard

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 06:41:35 PM »
I think I'll actually get in on this. I have PTO in November and December. I could dedicate a few full-time days to this compo. I like the theme. Whether we like it or not, a lot of the Qmunity has moved on. Even if it's not really farewell, it might be the last FreeBASIC-dominant compo we do.

I have some ideas on how we can re-ignite the fire, but honestly guys it's more likely to happen on FBGD.

Lachie has a bit more leverage to do cool things there, and he and I have collaborated on http://games.freebasic.net/ in the past. He definitely puts more time into it, and I'm thankful for that.

I'll add $200 to this if it continues getting good traction. I of course won't be eligible for any prizes if I contribute to the bounty - but I guess that depends on how many other people are willing to put in cash. We can probably setup a transparent voting system if it really comes down to that.

Anyways, an extra $200 would lead to a nice $250, $100, $50 split + two $25 honorary mentions. This is a compromise between Lachie and I. He wants a higher first prize (I assume to encourage competitiveness), and I want a wider prize pool (to encourage participation and feel-good vibes). If more cash comes in, we'll re-evaluate both the prize pool and voting methods.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:33:32 PM by Pritchard »

nkk_kan

• Forum Howler
  • Let's rocK~!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nkk_kan
    • View Profile
    • nkk's code cache
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
I'm in too. FB was my first language that I was enthusiastic about and learned alot about game development. The community was really great and it made me feel like home.
It has been a while since I touched FB  ::). Participating in this compo should be nice way to remember stuff and a good time down the nostalgia lane.  :)

gothon

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 08:05:31 PM »
I'm game! ;)

ssjx

• Forum Howler
    • View Profile
    • ssjx.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 03:14:13 AM »
I'm in!  :)

rdc

• Novice
  • If (Rnd * 100) = 1 Then Print "You're in trouble!"
    • View Profile
    • Clark Productions
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 03:56:48 AM »
I might give it go. Haven't touched fb in quite a while so I won't promise for sure.  The time frame is good though; give me a chance to get back up to speed and squeeze something in my crazy schedule.

duke4e

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 05:33:03 AM »
Just gonna follow this thread. Haven't touched FB in ages  :'(

Ryan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Ryan's Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
HECK YES I'M IN.   8)

And I've already started the game design ... it starts with deconstructing the name, "FreeBASIC", into its component parts: Freeb Asic.  ;)

Looking forward to it!

Lachie Dazdarian

• Double dipper
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sage
    • View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
Since the response to my idea is more affirmative that I expected, I'm officially starting the competition today!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:44:50 PM by Lachie Dazdarian »

mysoft

• Recruit
    • MSN Messenger - mysoft@bol.com.br
    • View Profile
    • MyTDT Software
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 09:34:26 PM »
alright... freebasic soul as its best!!!
Programming is like love... you will never acomplish anything by treating your language as if it was a tool, or a slave of yours...