10.03.2019 - Round 1 results of our "A Love Letter For FreeBASIC" game dev competition have been published. Please be sure to check the results thread: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=629.0. Don't forget that the competition is continuing with a round 2, lasting till 29th of April, 300 USD first prize. Stay tuned!

Poll

Which entry in the competition do you consider the best?

Invasion of the Mononites!
4 (28.6%)
RACESII
3 (21.4%)
Y.A.G.A.C.
5 (35.7%)
Color Eater 3D
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 12, 2012, 10:44:07 AM

Author Topic: Rescue The Colors Competition Community Poll  (Read 30015 times)

SMC

• Recruit
  • 9999HP
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue The Colors Competition Community Poll
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »
I also had the same trouble with DarkPhear.  It worked fine after I recompiled it though.  For the windows releases you might consider including a batch file with different builds REMed out so if it didn't work you could leave easy instructions to make a version that did.  Can a program be written to test for things like SSE2?  If so it might be possible to have a setup program to generate the proper build for you.  Of course this all depends on the user having a copy of freebasic installed.  :?

landeel

• Forum Howler
  • http://cmcgames.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • CMC Games
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
I'm sorry, but I don't think it's worth supporting non-SSE2 processors these days.

Pretty much all processors have SSE2 now. Even Intel Atom has it. Not sure about VIA though.

SSE2 makes floating point calculations much faster (calculating 3d space coordinates, texture coordinates, rotations, scaling, etc).

For YAGAC and DarkPhear, the source code is available, it's just a matter of recompiling without SSE. I'll give more datails about this issue in the READMEs.

For Iceroyds!, I had no complaints about this issue from my very few users, so I'll just let it as is.

dafhi

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 12:40:26 AM »
More suggestions for Racesii:

Reduce the amount of praise given by the commentator until later.  I'm not that good of a driver and I felt like I was Evel Knievel.
Steering feels too much like pong.
Also the speed at which you close the gap between cars ahead of you seems high.

Other than that, Racesii is close to arcade quality.

dafhi

• Amoeba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 12:47:29 AM »
Some more comments on Y.A.G.A.C.

I feel that the level of difficulty is a mask for the lack of content.  But a nice mix of the feel of the controls and the placement of objects totally compliment one another.  This simple framework is a remarkable foundation.

Good luck in your current and future projects.